Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cat people - Your pets are cold blooded killers, not soft toys watch

Announcements

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    My cats are most definitely cold blooded killers and that is why I love them so much.

The other day they killed a crow, I don't even know how they did it.
    Didn't peg you as a cat person :sly:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Didn't peg you as a cat person :sly:
    I'm guessing you didn't peg me as an animal person in general.

I'm guessing you didn't peg me as an animal person in general.
    Yeah what with your guns and penchant for killing badgers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Yeah what with your guns and penchant for killing badgers
    I can love animals and still hunt. I worked on livestock farms for years, I am actually very good with all animals, apart from poultry because I don't like their beaks.

I can love animals and still hunt. I worked on livestock farms for years, I am actually very good with all animals, apart from poultry because I don't like their beaks.
    You just keep getting better and better.

ReputationRep:
    Just when i thought my cute 5 month old ginger *******ed kitten could not endear himself to me anymore...

A wasp came into the bathroom yesterday, my gf shrieked and came running to me.. I went up and shrieked and called ginger balls... He came running and swatted this wasp down and injured it. He then lay on the bathroom floor playing with the wasp which now could not fly.

I swelled up with tears in my eyes like a proud father watching his son ride a bike for the first time. Ginger balls then proceeded to crunch through the wasp and nonchalantly eat it alive.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry so much about the cats, I kill far more wildlife than my cats.

Would you put a bullet in my head? Do you even know how to use firearm?
    No I don't fancy going to jail.

Please never become a conservationist.

(Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Someone with that attitude fatally poisoned my cat a few years back.

He was the most gentle, sweet natured cat I've ever known and wouldn't have the know how, or the desire to harm a fly. He'd just timidly wander around my street, and snooze in the sun.

:sad:

And it's cruel to leave cats indoors.

I said could not would. It's still someones pet and they'd be upset. Feral cats however are a different story.

It's cruel for small animals to be tortured and ripped to shreds.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Damien96)
    This isn't an anti-cat opinion, I love all creatures, but there is something nauseating, and problematic, about painting any animal as if it is a teddy bear. Cats are cold blooded killers that decimate wildlife, that they are capable of love does not negate this fact.

Also stop forcing your cats on everyone else .....

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/...eath-with-cat/
    It's called nature mate go learn some biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry68)

Conservation requires culling in order to maintain certain populations, such as the red squirrel. Grey squirrels must be reduced in order for the red to in increase.

Take Nelson Mandela, he was a keen conservationist, and hunter.

Picture for proof.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:

I said could not would. It's still someones pet and they'd be upset. Feral cats however are a different story.

It's cruel for small animals to be tortured and ripped to shreds.
    It's not cruel, that's nature. It might not be sustainable, but it's certainly not cruel. Is a fox killing its prey "cruel"?.

ReputationRep:
    Conservation requires culling in order to maintain certain populations, such as the red squirrel. Grey squirrels must be reduced in order for the red to in increase.

Picture for proof.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah but hunting is not always about conservation. Probably only rarely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but hunting is not always about conservation. Probably only rarely.
    Not always, but they can be wrapped up together if one so chooses.

ReputationRep:
    The best cat story that i ever heard - and it's true BTW - was on the west coast (US) about 15 yrs ago. According to a local paper [Bay Area], a local burglar exited a flat through a sliding glass door (without bothering to open it first), and cleared an 8 foot fence in one leap - chased by the family cat. The cops said they were looking for a type O, RH- burglar, wearing a white "tee" shirt and white and green plaid pants. This description was built up from pieces left at the scene. Apparently the family cat weighed about 45 pounds, and did NOT like unannounced visitors. Apparently it was an Ocelot - or some kind of mountain lion. The "watch cat" is home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    It's called nature mate go learn some biology
    The Scottish wildcat, the only native one in Britain, exists at low densities in parts of Scotland (it used to be more widespread). We're talking a small number of animals roaming over many square kilometres (can't find the exact numbers at the moment).

In some urban areas, the density of pet cats can get near hundreds for one square kilometre. Don't even try to tell me that's in any way natural because it just isn't.

A key part of natural predator prey relationships is that the number of predators is small, and predators to some extent regulate their own numbers due to prey availability (it's more complicated than that) because they rely on their prey for survival. Pet cats exist at high densities which are not in any way natural, which is sustained because of humans. You cannot compare the impact of pet cats to that of natural native predators.

ReputationRep:
    That's precisely why I loved my cat

He was a vicious cold blooded murder (of birds), but he loved me and that makes me happy

ReputationRep:
    See, even the fish cats are killers!

If it escapes the tank and kills 300,000,000 more creatures I will write a post about your psychopathic catfish.
    Wasn't even the most savage fish in the tank.

ReputationRep:

Picture for proof.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Exactly, which is why I support Australia's decision to cull 2 million feral cats.

It's not cruel, that's nature. It might not be sustainable, but it's certainly not cruel. Is a fox killing its prey "cruel"?.

When it comes to domesticated cats the "oh it's nature!!" bs is not a valid argument as domesticated cats are an imported species to many countries and wouldn't have their high population if it weren't for humans.
    Due to them being alien species and overpopulated native species (like many Australian marsupials) have not had the chance to evolve alongside cats, thus aren't well adapted to cope with their huge population.

ReputationRep:
    My cat kills mice in our garden regularly but she never leaves the garden to kill anything.

My dog caught a pigeon the other day (no idea how??) and ate it though.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an anti-cat opinion, I love all creatures, but there is something nauseating, and problematic, about painting any animal as if it is a teddy bear. Cats are cold blooded killers that decimate wildlife, that they are capable of love does not negate this fact.

Also stop forcing your cats on everyone else .....

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/...eath-with-cat/
    is this a real thread?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, which is why I support Australia's decision to cull 2 million feral cats.

When it comes to domesticated cats the "oh it's nature!!" bs is not a valid argument as domesticated cats are an imported species to many countries and wouldn't have their high population if it weren't for humans.
    Due to them being alien species and overpopulated native species (like many Australian marsupials) have not had the chance to evolve alongside cats, thus aren't well adapted to cope with their huge population.
    So because a human had an influence on the introduction of a breed, that all of a sudden makes the behaviour of that animal unnatural, and "cruel"? How does that work? So if an animal kills wildlife in its native environment, it's not cruel, but if it does the exact same behaviour in it's non-native environment, that all of a sudden makes the behaviour cruel?

Maybe you should look up the definition of "cruel" love.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.