ReputationRep:
    That's it, we need a cat cull!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    My cat is 85% human in his emotions.
    Not a ringing endorsement, of either your cat or your sanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Yes I've tried that as well as peel. It's not fun when you are digging and end up with a lump of cat **** in your hands.

Mint I know works with mice and rats, I haven't heard it working with cats. Worth a try.
    Better a bit in your hands than running over one with the lawnmower and then catching one with the strimmer!!!
    Felt like filling a supersoaker with brake fluid that day! Not that I would, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Better a bit in your hands than running over one with the lawnmower and then catching one with the strimmer!!!
    Felt like filling a supersoaker with brake fluid that day! Not that I would, obviously.
    Hahaha!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Not a ringing endorsement, of either your cat or your sanity
    We stay up all night sometimes, laughing, joking and engaging in conversation. He can't talk human words obviously, but he definitely thinks them.

ReputationRep:
    So are lions, bears and killer whales. This might be a long list if we carry on.
    Indeed. So I'm not really sure why you feel the need to raise this point for cats, specifically, when it doesn't stop us from feeling any affection from any of the other animals or humans that do this.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an anti-cat opinion, I love all creatures, but there is something nauseating, and problematic, about painting any animal as if it is a teddy bear. Cats are cold blooded killers that decimate wildlife, that they are capable of love does not negate this fact.

Also stop forcing your cats on everyone else .....

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/...eath-with-cat/
    Of course they're evil, that's why they're awesome (mind you, I also love reptiles so maybe evil is good)

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an anti-cat opinion, I love all creatures, but there is something nauseating, and problematic, about painting any animal as if it is a teddy bear. Cats are cold blooded killers that decimate wildlife, that they are capable of love does not negate this fact.

I had to laugh that the teddy bear comparison given that bears are not exactly all sunshine and rainbows.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was both a teddy bear and a fly killer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jetboy)
    I think the point is their owners could do more to stop the destruction of wildlife. Cats can't help their nature, humans can stop treating them as if they are toys. It is us that has bred them to the sorts of levels that cause the problem so we should be mindful of those effects.

Don't let your cat out at night, for example.
    Obviously, pet owners should be responsible. Our cats have bells on their collars, they are kept in at night, and we do try to rescue anything they catch, but they do still end up killing quite a few creatures, which is sad. However, they can't help it. What do you mean by treating cats like toys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Indeed. So I'm not really sure why you feel the need to raise this point for cats, specifically, when it doesn't stop us from feeling any affection from any of the other animals or humans that do this.
    Because bears are not kept in their millions for the pleasure of humans, which in turn leads to the death of hundreds of millions of wildlife. Bears killing for food is not going to decimate an area unless humans intervene and give them an extra advantage leading to inflated numbers. Usually this would lead to nature correcting itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peli-Pelican)
    Of course they're evil, that's why they're awesome (mind you, I also love reptiles so maybe evil is good)
    I don't think they're evil, well some are, I do think cat owners are largely irresponsible though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    I had to laugh that the teddy bear comparison given that bears are not exactly all sunshine and rainbows.
    Nor are they kept in their tens of millions by humans leading to the deaths of 300 millions wildlife creatures a year in the UK alone.

Really cat people, there is no need to be so defensive. well not about cats, it's you I'm attacking

ReputationRep:
    Because bears are not kept in their millions for the pleasure of humans
    But we keep company with plenty of other meat eating creatures, including dogs, and including other humans! So why not cats?

which in turn leads to the death of hundreds of millions of wildlife.
    I'm not sure how humans keeping cats leads to the death of wildlife. Those cats have to eat, whether they're kept by humans or left in the wild.

Plus, animals get killed by other animals in the wild all the time, in order to be eaten for food. It's just part of the natural food chain. So I don't really see why we should care that predators are preying. That's just what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gribby2)
    Obviously, pet owners should be responsible. Our cats have bells on their collars, they are kept in at night, and we do try to rescue anything they catch, but they do still end up killing quite a few creatures, which is sad. However, they can't help it. What do you mean by treating cats like toys?
    You are clearly not part of the problem then.

I mean they are not cute balls of fur that exist for the maternal/paternal indulgences of us. They are predators. That doesn't mean they aren't exceptionally cute and loveable of course.

ReputationRep:
    the title sounds like it was written by someone who got scratched and hissed at by a cat :laugh:

ReputationRep:

So are humans in fact we are more so.

Are you saying we shouldnt find small children for example cute or cuddly because technically they are "cold blooded killers"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise213)
    the title sounds like it was written by someone who got scratched and hissed at by a cat :laugh:
    That's not true. I was molested by a man in a cat suit though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Mir)
    So are humans in fact we are more so.

Are you saying we shouldnt find small children for example cute or cuddly because technically they are "cold blooded killers"?
    I think I have answered this 100 times now. The point is the decimation of wildlife. I wasn't' telling anyone what to find cute. Cats can be enormously cute, I was just pointing out that doesn't make them harmless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jetboy)
    You are clearly not part of the problem then.

I mean they are not cute balls of fur that exist for the maternal/paternal indulgences of us. They are predators. That doesn't mean they aren't exceptionally cute and loveable of course.
    Okay. Thanks.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.