Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cat people - Your pets are cold blooded killers, not soft toys Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    I feel we are venturing into one of those "That's one of the good ones" territory. She may have nurtured a puppy but that doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy ripping apart birds.

I do like a bit of cross species love though.
    Your kids could be surprised if they see future cats dancing with birds. Nanotech & genetic engineering are like a magic wand.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an anti-cat opinion, I love all creatures, but there is something nauseating, and problematic, about painting any animal as if it is a teddy bear. Cats are cold blooded killers that decimate wildlife, that they are capable of love does not negate this fact.

Also stop forcing your cats on everyone else .....

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/...eath-with-cat/
    I'm no fan of cats either but who are these people who claim they are 'soft toys?'

ReputationRep:
    Know what you mean but our first family pet didn't really kill anything, she was a lovely animal If they don't have predatory behaviour modelled for them then the more generations away from the wild first-line ancestor they get the more placid/less predatory they become, I gather :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I'm no fan of cats either but who are these people who claim they are 'soft toys?'
    They treat them as such, they don't claim they are soft toys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I have nothing against cats you understand but most are drawn to hunting, it's their nature, so I was just making the point cat owners need to be aware of this and not get so defensive when it is brought up.

One can't claim to be an animal lover if you don't take preventative measures to stop your animal from killing other creatures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    Your kids could be surprised if they see future cats dancing with birds. Nanotech & genetic engineering are like a magic wand.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at but I'm enjoying the picture you painted

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i prefer "watch cats". I figure they might as well earn their keep. A flat in San Francisco was burgled about 25 yrs ago whilst i was there. The burglar exited a sliding glass door without opening it first - chased by the family cat. It weighed about 40 lbs - was an Ocelot or something. Inflicted some damage on the burglar apparently. ) Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Unless cats are now using nicotinoids, I don't think I can blame them for that one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you're getting at but I'm enjoying the picture you painted
    Imaginations,dude. They create wonderful colorful world.

ReputationRep:
    I think they call it the food chain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiker68)
    I think they call it the food chain
    That doesn't count when pet cats are sustained at hugely unnatural densities by being kept as pets

Look at native top predators, including the Scottish wildcat - you have animals living at very low densities because that's just how top predators are. e.g. Millions of caterpillars supports hundreds of birds which supports a handful of top predators, whether it's wildcats, golden eagles, foxes or pine martens.

In some towns, the density of pet cats can approach a hundred per square kilometre. Don't even try to argue that's natural because it just isn't.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an anti-cat opinion, I love all creatures, but there is something nauseating, and problematic, about painting any animal as if it is a teddy bear. Cats are cold blooded killers that decimate wildlife, that they are capable of love does not negate this fact.

Also stop forcing your cats on everyone else .....

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/...eath-with-cat/
    What are humans then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyB14)
    What are humans then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Social animals which have more empathy and a higher capacity for love and bonding than cats (describes dogs as well).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.