The Student Room Group

Gaining weight??

I know you must be thinking as everyone talks about losing weight but what happens if you want to gain it? But a healthy weight

Any suggestions??...
Original post by Tahira__
I know you must be thinking as everyone talks about losing weight but what happens if you want to gain it? But a healthy weight

Any suggestions??...

Well, how much weight do you want to gain? I can't shed much light on it but stuffing your face is ineffective if you're not able to eat much. Similarly, a fast metabolism sucks

Any suggestions??...

if want to gain it you're either anorexic and you have some condition or a sport which requires you to gain weight OR you're a fool

Any suggestions??...

drink milk and high fat things or just have lots of carbohydrates
eat more calories than you burn in a day
Reply 5
Original post by thefatone
if want to gain it you're either anorexic and you have some condition or a sport which requires you to gain weight OR you're a fool

Well let's just say once upon a time I was close to being anorexic
I never want to go back to those days so I've been working out and I want to bulk up
So was thinking of gaining weight
Reply 6
Original post by Tinemither
Well, how much weight do you want to gain? I can't shed much light on it but stuffing your face is ineffective if you're not able to eat much. Similarly, a fast metabolism sucks

It really does as soon as I eat in just goes straight down

Any suggestions??...

Hiya. Thanks for creating this thread! Kinda need it if I'm honest :redface: One thing I do is instead of having 3 meals a day, I have 5 but with smaller portions? It kind of works, but not entirely. Have you tried anything else so far though?

Any suggestions??...

I never want to go back to those days so I've been working out and I want to bulk up

I would recommend 2-3lb/month if your deciding to slow bulk and minimise the amount of fat gained.
I was originally 48kg(aneroxic) at 5'9.5-5'10 and it took me a solid year to go from 48kg->62kg.

In anything you do, always remember "slow and steady wins the race."
Good Luck! :top:
Reply 9
Original post by ravioliyears
Hiya. Thanks for creating this thread! Kinda need it if I'm honest :redface: One thing I do is instead of having 3 meals a day, I have 5 but with smaller portions? It kind of works, but not entirely. Have you tried anything else so far though?

Thanks for the reply
Well I have been trying bigger portions of food and I do love my carbs but do still end up needing to go straight after
I've also been trying fenugreek seeds which happarently help with gaining weight
Thanks for the reply
Well I have been trying bigger portions of food and I do love my carbs but do still end up needing to go straight after
I've also been trying fenugreek seeds which happarently help with gaining weight

Ahh okay. Yeh, my mum said the same thing, but it doesn't seem to help. And that's alright :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I would recommend 2-3lb/month if your deciding to slow bulk and minimise the amount of fat gained.
I was originally 48kg(aneroxic) at 5'9.5-5'10 and it took me a solid year to go from 48kg->62kg
In anything you do, always remember "slow and steady wins the race."
Good Luck! :top:

Thank you for the reply
I do end up gaining the weigh but then I have my lazy days when I simply don't have time to eat for stress reasons so end up only having about 2 meals a day roughly then end up losing the weight again
I also lose my appetite when I get ill so that doesn't help either
I would like to know some tips you could give me
Thank you again
And here is me trying my best to lose some weight:frown:
Thank you for the reply
I do end up gaining the weigh but then I have my lazy days when I simply don't have time to eat for stress reasons so end up only having about 2 meals a day roughly then end up losing the weight again
I also lose my appetite when I get ill so that doesn't help either
I would like to know some tips you could give me
Thank you again

Something I do since I'm slow lean bulking and my best tip would be...

Track your morning weigh in on a weighing scale everyday and write it down
in a book;. At the end of the week, divide the 7 days of the week weigh-in and take the average. Next week try to eat slightly more in a surplus and try to beat last week average week weigh in.

Tracking weigh-ins helps significantly as a mental confidence boost.
Also, if you can whenever your doing a task I.e watching TV/studying try having a snack/meal with you. :smile:
Just eat healthily and live an active lifestyle and you'll be the best version of you.

If your body is at its most comfortable being thin then that's you. Accept yourself for how you are rather than try to change your body to something it doesn't want to be.
Reply 15
Original post by loveleest
And here is me trying my best to lose some weight:frown:

Yea sometimes in life you should be grateful with what you have 😐
Eat many pakoras and samosas :colone:

oh that makes sense. Eat nuts, seriously nuts contains a bunch of fat etc for what their volume is
Reply 18
Original post by luminarychild
Eat many pakoras and samosas :colone:

Lol thanks for the reply but I did say healthy weight ☺️
Lol thanks for the reply but I did say healthy weight ☺️

Do you know how much weight you need to gain? Presumably you know what your BMI is?

Go and join MFP and theres a whole forum of people gaining weight.

Simply eat at a moderate calorie surplus. That means you need to count calories becayse only knowing you are at surplus will ensure you gain weight.

Lift some weights/ do some resistance training to increase your strength and gain some moderate muscle. As muscle is denser than fat it will help you increase weight, but also remain lean and small.

Eat a healthy balanced diet. Complex carbs, lean protein, fibre and good fats. 5 fruit and veg each day.

If you cannot manage large amounts of food then choose the calorie dense versions, which make it easier to hit your calorie target.

Quick Reply

Latest