Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English Lit Anthology - 'You, Shiva, and My Mum' by Ruth Padel watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any notes on Ruth Padel's poem, 'You, Shiva, and My Mum' ?? I have been asked to analyse it and find some poetic devices, but I'm struggling quite a bit!

Any help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitmop98)
    Has anyone got any notes on Ruth Padel's poem, 'You, Shiva, and My Mum'?? I have been asked to analyse it and find some poetic devices, but I'm struggling quite a bit!

Any help would be much appreciated!
    The poem is about a mothers journey to India to watch her last unmarried son get married to someone who is a from a different culture.The poem reflects the emotional journey the mother encounters and the discomfort and unfamiliarity of the religion, culture around her. The twelve stanzas represent the twelve jyotirlinga, this is ironic as again it represents the culture which actually the mother is not familiar with. The three line stanzas represent the slow, steady steps of the journey the mother takes. The persona is the daughter of the mother and she almost mocks her mothers discomfort. We understand that there is a lack ofknowledge of the culture from the listing of different places etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's great! Thank you so much! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitmop98)
    Wow that's great! Thank you so much! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no problem!

ReputationRep:
    I've read the poem differently. In my opinion, I see it as the daughter taking pride in her mother as she tries so many things at the old age of eighty.The title contains the female deity Shiva so the daughter could be comparing her mother to be as great as Shiva. Also, with the mention of multiple religions, it could be said that the mother is accepting of them all, which contradicts British stereotypes of old people who don't tend to be so accepting and likes to stick to their own ways. Also, with the use of lots of colours, it could be said that the Indian culture is rather vibrant. Plus, the indentation of every second stanza could be used a way of saying their is a difference between the British and Indian culture. Plus, the questions could be from the speaker to reader, wondering whether the reader even wants to listen to her story of her mother. However, the last stanza is of the speaker being curious of the readers opinion on her mother.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 6, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.