Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

When I was in year 9 I sat my Polish AS and scored 99 UMS, the following year I was put forward to do the A2. I was expecting it to be just like the AS, maybe a bit trickier when it came to the translating, however I expected the level to be mostly the same. After sitting the exam at the end of year 10 I realised that I had completely failed, out of the 3.5 hours I spent 3 hours doing absolutely nothing. Nobody in my school had warned me that there were topics I had to actually learn, they just expected that if somebody is ethnically Polish then they will be able to speak/read/write Polish and so they put all of those students forward to do the exam. In the end I achieved 18 UMS for the A2 bringing my total to 117 UMS, a C grade, not a failure but something which I strongly believe that I could improve upon.

I didn't resit the exam in year 11 because I thought that it would interfere with my GCSEs, what I didn't care to think about though was now that I am in year 12 it is interfering with my A-Levels instead. I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I am teaching myself some maths modules at home which will hopefully amount to another A level in Maths (or at least another AS level, we will see how many I can do in the end ).

I understand that 5/6 A-Levels is definitely more than enough so I should just forget about my Polish A-Level, however when applying to university you have to list down what you scored in all of your A-Levels so far. I am the first year where AS levels are separate from the full course and so nobody in my school (apart from maybe 2 or 3 that are dropping them) are doing the AS level exams for physics or chemistry. As a result I am going to have to put down that I got a U for my Polish A2 and other things on there will be my results for my other Maths subjects and my predicted grades which I know Universities are weary of.

My question is will that be a problem? Will that U be stopping me from getting an offer from somewhere like Cambridge or Imperial? Should I try to resit the exam this year and get a better grade, however possibly harm my grades for Maths, Further Maths and any additional modules?

More importantly I was wondering if it would be possible to annul my A2 result on the grounds that I was not properly informed about what was being asked of me? At the time I had no idea of how A-Levels worked, that they would be the things that would decide whether I get a place at the university I want to or not, I just thought that the exam I was doing was something like a CATs/SATs test. My school told me that I would be sitting this exam at the end of year 10 and that was that, I didn't even know that there was a syllabus in place for me to learn.

I am really stressed out because there is only a couple of months left until the exams come and I am not sure what to do, if the Polish A-Level course is really easy to learn then I will definitely give it a go, however I am afraid that resources for it are few and far between and that I will not be able to juggle it along with all the other subjects I am doing.

Thanks in advance for all your help and sorry for the long post
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    No, you can't annul the Polish A level, the grade exists so you will have to declare it whatever the circumstances were. The question is will universities are about it? Probably not; if you were applying for a modern languages degree you might be in trouble, but I really don't think an admissions tutor for a STEM subject is going to give two hoots about your Polish grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I really don't think an admissions tutor for a STEM subject is going to give two hoots about your Polish grade.
    Yeah that is what I was thinking, my only worry was that the admissions tutor may look at my school's predicted grades and compare it against the U and think "This isn't right, his target grades are too high!" although then again admissions tutors are smart people, I am sure that they will be able to gather from the date that it doesn't show my academic ability now.

I guess it's just all the more reason to get 100 UMS in all of my modules this year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.