Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    they should fight!!!!
    england will have their asses kicked then .. and italy will win every tournie ... theyll make offers no one will refuse ( godfather )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paymaster)
    This is not just a reaction to England's exit, really it isn't.

Football is a team game. The shootout is not, and only makes victims of individuals. I think we should rethink our ideas here.

After 90 minutes, each team takes off two players. Ten minutes later, if a team is ahead, they win. If not, they take off another two players. This would occur until each team had 5 players, when the golden goal would come into effect.

Anyone else got any ideas, serious or otherwise?

[email protected]

I don't particularly like the spot kicks bit of it - I'd rather go for the American shootout - where you start at the centre spot and have 30 seconds to beat the keeper and get the ball in the net - still 5 players each team.

Failing that I don't know how else to do it - going purely on statistics as someone has suggested leaves the referee as the deciding factor, and we don't want that where-ever possible.

Playing on until a goal, sudden death is scored, could take an age, though the players' attitude might be changed if they know that they can't sit back and wait for 30 minutes holding out for a shoot-out.

But last night, the referee was along way from the "foul" that he apparently spotted, it again brings in the question of whether a Video Official should be there. I know in Amercian Football they have the Red Flag video appeal process, where its the coaches that can appeal, and if they lose their appeal they lose one of their time-outs; obviously football doesn't have timeouts, but we can maybe apply the system in the other way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paymaster)
    This is not just a reaction to England's exit, really it isn't.

Football is a team game. The shootout is not, and only makes victims of individuals. I think we should rethink our ideas here.

After 90 minutes, each team takes off two players. Ten minutes later, if a team is ahead, they win. If not, they take off another two players. This would occur until each team had 5 players, when the golden goal would come into effect.

Anyone else got any ideas, serious or otherwise?

[email protected]
    They should play cards, instead.

ReputationRep:
    Penalties would be fairer if it kept going in sets of 5 instead of going down to "sudden death". Putting the outcome of a match down to two kicks of a ball is just daft.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.