Turn on thread page Beta

Scared I might be getting misdiagnosed with cancer! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've been experiencing weight loss each day, my stools are looser, I've lost my appetite, have pain under right eye that just happened last night, cough with sore throat and upper abdomen tenderness. I'm a 17 year old male and I'm really scared that I might have cancer! and doctors are not going to detect it for ages until becomes Stage 4! I've had blood tests done twice within 2 months and they have come back fine, I've also had a chest X-Ray and that came back fine too. I went to A&E yesterday because I was worrying as usual and that's where I had my second blood test and first chest X Ray. The symptom I am really worrying about is my weight loss because each day I step on the scales it gets lower each time. The stories I've read about these teenagers are really scary seeing as their symptoms get ignored because of age and they die without treatment. I really do feel like my life is coming to an end...

Please help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Harry Mason)
    Hello, I've been experiencing weight loss each day, my stools are looser, I've lost my appetite, have pain under right eye that just happened last night, cough with sore throat and upper abdomen tenderness. I'm a 17 year old male and I'm really scared that I might have cancer! and doctors are not going to detect it for ages until becomes Stage 4! I've had blood tests done twice within 2 months and they have come back fine, I've also had a chest X-Ray and that came back fine too. I went to A&E yesterday because I was worrying as usual and that's where I had my second blood test and first chest X Ray. The symptom I am really worrying about is my weight loss because each day I step on the scales it gets lower each time. The stories I've read about these teenagers are really scary seeing as their symptoms get ignored because of age and they die without treatment. I really do feel like my life is coming to an end...

Please help!
    I think it would be best to talk to your doctor about your concerns so that they are aware and will mabe look more down that route for you. There are alot of things with similar symptoms that would be more likely at your age so they would probably suspect them first. It will most likely be one of tose things too so try not to worry too much. It's easy to latch onto cancer since it is so well known, but try looking into other possibilities if you're looking into things online. You will probably find that other less scary and serious things fit better especially with all those tests that have come back fine.
    I've had thyroid problems and they can cause things like that as could things like autoimmune, mental health problems, bowel issues etc etc. It's not to say you have any of them, just to show you there are other possibilities.

But yeah talk to your doctor to let them know that's your big concern. Oh and just remmeber that while in the late stages cancer is very difficult to treat it isn't too difficult if you catch it sooner and new research is constantly being done so there is certinally hope even if you did have it.

Hope you find the cause soon and that you get less worried. I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to health too and i've had a worrying about cancer phase. Once I started to get some more solid evidence for other things i started to worry far less.

(Original post by Harry Mason)

Please help!
    Like the above poster said, it will be best to talk to your doctor. I also feard that I had cancer because of symptoms I was recieivng (and I'm 16). This is why I reocmmend people not to read up on their symptoms online as they can jump to so many conclusions! I'm also currently experiencing severe weight loss (lost about 2 kgs in a week :/), and so I have to book an appointment with my hospital.

Visit your GP and they'll arrange something, and depending on what it is, they could charge you into hospital. Hope everything goes well for you x

ReputationRep:
    I have visited my GP and they say it's anxiety. I'm never the way I used to be Ive just been run down about cancer for 3 months and all I do is go to bed whenever I get in from college and just go on my phone to seek help and reassurance. My GP has referred me to a therapist which I go to next week on Tuesday so maybe I'll start to feel better then

ReputationRep:
    When my anxiety started I was convinced I had cancer (it didn't help that I was having soft stools and pain down there - IBS, a common thing in teenagers, especially anxious ones). Anyway, 8 years later I'm still here and pretty convinced that my symptoms were mostly anxiety related. Try not to let your worries grab hold of you too much - they can destroy your life as much as any physical illness. Talk to your doctor about your worries, but ultimately trust the results of the tests you get back and try and chill out a little. Stress isn't good for your body whether you're physically well or not.

ReputationRep:
    They have probably tested for most cancers considering you symptoms? My aunt got told she had cancer but was actually suffering from TB. She displayed symptoms for 4 years and was bed bound for 20 hours a day before they finally diagnosed her and started treatment. Same symptoms you had but to the point she was weighed less then her pre-teen daughters. Doctors are useless I swear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exactly as people above have said, go down that route. I have **** health, and spent a lot of time in hospitals, while living in loads of different places across the world, and the NHS has some of the best cancer treatment I've ever seen. I have private health plans personally, but I would still opt for NHS if I were diagnosed with cancer.

Talk to your GP. If you're still not satisfied, you can always opt towards the "other" medical incentive - money. Go private, and they'll find anything and everything if it means the rats might make a few extra bob!

A little £800 bill of some medical consults, tests and such likes, might save your life, because it goes down on your record, and the NHS is obliged to help you from that point on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.