Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So 2014/15 I studied business, after deciding that I didn't like the university, or the course, so for 2015/16 I changed to study a different course at my home university. I think in panic or fear of not knowing what else to do, I enrolled on a course that, granted I was interested in, but at the end of the day wasn't suited to me. For both years I was luckily able to get funding from Student Finance as a first year student.

My question then is this:
    I have not yet completed the first year, but am thinking of withdrawing from the course to take a gap year to figure out what I actually want to do. Should I decide to go back to uni (which in the long run I do plan to do) would I still be eligible for student finance? If so, would it be for the duration of the new degree course?

Sorry, I know this is a long winded question, but I will be more then grateful if anyone could give me some answers on this
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Looby_Liz)
    So 2014/15 I studied business, after deciding that I didn't like the university, or the course, so for 2015/16 I changed to study a different course at my home university. I think in panic or fear of not knowing what else to do, I enrolled on a course that, granted I was interested in, but at the end of the day wasn't suited to me. For both years I was luckily able to get funding from Student Finance as a first year student.

My question then is this:
    I have not yet completed the first year, but am thinking of withdrawing from the course to take a gap year to figure out what I actually want to do. Should I decide to go back to uni (which in the long run I do plan to do) would I still be eligible for student finance? If so, would it be for the duration of the new degree course?

Sorry, I know this is a long winded question, but I will be more then grateful if anyone could give me some answers on this
    Under the current rules, you would not be eligible for student finance for the first year of a new course. The entitlement is worked out as: new course length + 1 year - years already taken. For you, you've had 2 years of support already. So it would work out as 3 (or 4 if it's a 4 year course etc) + 1 - 2, and then that is worked backwards, so the latter years of the course are funded but the first year wouldn't be.

However, student finance does keep changing so who knows what it will be in future! It's unlikely they'd change it to make it more generous and allow you funding, but you'd need to check back nearer the time.

If you do complete your first year you may be able to change course but go directly into the second year of the new course. This would then mean you are eligible for funding for all years.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Looby_Liz

As you have used 2 years of funding, you would only be eligible for full funding from year 2+ of a new course. You can still apply for a maintenance loan if you needed to start from year 1 but would not be able to apply for the tuition fee loan until year 2.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.