Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am thinking on applying for RAF Mover. Could you please tell me if you travel a lot on the job? Do you put the cargo on the plane, and travel with them? Also, if you are a ex or current RAF mover, is the role enjoyable? I can't find much information about the role.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehguh)
    Hi I am thinking on applying for RAF Mover. Could you please tell me if you travel a lot on the job? Do you put the cargo on the plane, and travel with them? Also, if you are a ex or current RAF mover, is the role enjoyable? I can't find much information about the role.

Thanks
    Do a search in this forum for the role, it's been mentioned a lot and explained in detail - your questions have been answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Do a search in this forum for the role, it's been mentioned a lot and explained in detail - your questions have been answered.
    Ok thanks, could you link me to the threads please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehguh)
    Ok thanks, could you link me to the threads please?
    Yeah, you could wait half an hour for a reply and for someone else to do the leg work for you...

Or you could search for it yourself?

Click here and find them yourself

ReputationRep:
    Yes movers occasionally go on the aircraft.

The official reason is to load and unload the aircraft at its various destinations, however since the Air Loadmaster is perfectly capable of doing said things the cynic in me says they go along for a free ride :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    The official reason is to load and unload the aircraft at its various however since the Air Loadmaster is perfectly capable of doing said things the cynic in me says they go along for a free ride :P
    ALM's are surprisingly bad at the actual loading / unloading of aircraft. Having undertaken many of the very same tests as the ALM's, I was somewhat shocked to see their failure rate during training (and their lower pass requirement than Air Movs Officers on the same tests).
    ALM's are largely responsible for the load and Passengers in flight. Their responsibility is to the airframe and the captain. Movers deal with the freight and the part on the ground which is outside the responsibilities and capabilities of the ALM.
    I have never seen an ALM load or unload an aircraft without Movers. I've worked with them, particularly on C17, but their input on any other aircraft type has been minimal and largely regarding paperwork.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, check this link
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton...ion/no1amw.cfm

should give you a steer to further research. There was also a Sky documentary called 'Inside Brize Norton' a few years back. Brize has a heavy Air Mover presence for obvious reasons. I haven't checked all the episodes but this one (Ep 7) features some kids on the Mover course from minute 19 onwards. It might give you an idea about the role.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpW5ibpxmM

Stacks - Not sure if you're having a snidey side swipe at the role of the WSOp Crewman (ALM as was), but historically their role on AT platforms was to ensure the correct load configuration and ensure the CofG was in the right place. I'd say that was critical to flight safety - I've seen a number of videos (eg C-130 and 747 freighter) where failure to do it correctly ends badly for the aircraft and crew. Everyone has a part to play in flight safety and ultimately the application of air power, no matter how small. Not sure how much the ALM gets his/her hands dirty these days, but I've certainly seen them pushin and shovin on Fat Albert. Not a job I'd be interested in. I preferred to use my analytical skills as an AEOp (R) / (WSOp (EW) throughout the whole mission, where I was able to influence the tactical direction of a sortie.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ikaruss)
    Stacks - Not sure if you're having a snidey side swipe at the role of the WSOp Crewman (ALM as was), but historically their role on AT platforms was to ensure the correct load configuration and ensure the CofG was in the right place. I'd say that was critical to flight safety - I've seen a number of videos (eg C-130 and 747 freighter) where failure to do it correctly ends badly for the aircraft and crew. Everyone has a part to play in flight safety and ultimately the application of air power, no matter how small. Not sure how much the ALM gets his/her hands dirty these days, but I've certainly seen them pushin and shovin on Fat Albert. Not a job I'd be interested in. I preferred to use my analytical skills as an AEOp (R) / (WSOp (EW) throughout the whole mission, where I was able to influence the tactical direction of a sortie.
    Not at all. I went through the Officers' Movements Course with a parallel ALM course and we took many of the same tests in the 'sim' at Brize. We were somewhat surprised to see our 10% failure rate compared to their 90% on the same load checks.
    My point is that they are focused on the flight safety and operations side of the rear of the aircraft. Their CofG work largely revolves around checking the work of the Movers who present the documentation (customs, HAZMAT, freight forwarding, special handling requirements, tiedown schemes etc) along with the CofG calculations. This is taught from Cpl level in the Movs trade and to all Movements Officers, who must be just as competent (they check all docs & calcs before it gets presented to the ALM).
    The ALM checks the load on, goes round with the SNCO / Officer to check compliance once it is loaded, then takes responsibility during aircraft operation. They mostly operate the rear of the aircraft (winches, ramps, doors etc) but the Movers receive the load from elsewhere, plan the load, document the load, load the load, secure/restrain the load, hand over the load. They often travel with the load if it requires skills beyond that of the ALM or there is no receiving team at the other end. They unload and get the load from the ramp to where it needs to be, usually beyond the aircraft pan, which is where the ALM knows little more than where his transport to the hotel will depart from!
    It's more to highlight that the aircraft, being a truck with wings (and flight safety of course), is part of a bigger picture. The Movers play a big part in that, being the conduit for the load (freight or 'self-loading freight') both on and off the aircraft.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Stacks. Every day's a school day and I admit I wasn't aware of the full remit of the movers in the Air role. I apologise for questioning your previous post - all makes sense now. And I'm sure your description will help both potential Movers and WSOp (Crewman).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.