Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm planning on joining the RAF as a WSOp, I've been doing my homework and know that until completion of training, you're holding the rank of sergeant to basically save money on pay until you're useful to them but i came across something todo with being a corporal at some stage, can someone clear the ranking part out for me if possible, many thanks.

Jack

ReputationRep:
    Can you point us to the piece of information that said that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktar)
    Basically, I'm planning on joining the RAF as a WSOp, I've been doing my homework and know that until completion of training, you're holding the rank of sergeant to basically save money on pay until you're useful to them but i came across something todo with being a corporal at some stage, can someone clear the ranking part out for me if possible, many thanks.

Jack
    To save us clarifying for you, there's plenty of information either on TSR or google.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what your first sentence is about reference being a Sgt and saving money, but there's talk of having WSOps start out as Corporals instead of Sgts to enable career progressions and also to save money.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jack

Your confusion might come from acting/substantive ranks.

Following NCAITC you'll be Acting Sgt, paid as Cpl (Substantive rank Cpl).
    When you complete your flying training and earn your brevet you'll be Acting Sgt, paid as a Sgt (Substantive rank still Cpl)
    When you complete your OCU and gain Combat Ready status, as long as you've done 18 months post-brevet, you be Substantive Sgt.

Hope that clears it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofxpw539)
    Hi Jack

When you complete your flying training and earn your brevet you'll be Acting Sgt, paid as a Sgt (Substantive rank still Cpl)
    When you complete your OCU and gain Combat Ready status, as long as you've done 18 months post-brevet, you be Substantive Sgt.

Hope that clears it up.
    Jolly Jacktar, the response above should put your mind at rest. I mentioned on another WSOp thread that the hierarchy were looking at starting NCA at Cpl rank. That was / is an option which has been mooted for many years for the reasons I gave. What does seem more likely in the near future is that the aircrew supplement (used to be called flying pay) may not kick in for future recruits until the 6 year point. I guess what you've never had, you won't miss, but it just perpetuates the pay discrepancies within the aircrew cadre. When I left, I was in the very fortunate position (when no aircrew Sqn Ldrs flew with us) of being the highest paid member of the crew, including the crew captain. As non commissioned aircrew (NCA), it did grate on some of my commissioned colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofxpw539)
    Hi Jack

Hope that clears it up.
    Yes, that makes a lot more sense now, thank you very much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.