Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between Southampton and Nottingham University- I got offers for French and English Literature, Southampton AAB and Nottingham ABB.

I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are in general about both universities, I want to make my decision on quality of teaching but also on how nice the campus's are and what the night-life is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippin_)
    I'm torn between Southampton and Nottingham University- I got offers for French and English Literature, Southampton AAB and Nottingham ABB.

I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are in general about both universities, I want to make my decision on quality of teaching but also on how nice the campus's are and what the night-life is like?
    I was recently having to make the same decision, but I am doing geography, and I've ended up choosing nottingham. I can't really speak about teaching in French and English, but for geography the quality of teaching was relatively similar in both universities, with nottingham being slightly higher in rankings for this, but not majorly. The reason I chose it was because after I'd visited both the campus' I realised I just liked the feel of Nottingham's much more. It's very open, spread out and green with lots of places to walk around on campus, which is something I really like. Whereas Southampton, to me at least, was more all grouped together and had less green areas. This isn't necessarily bad, it's really just preference and how you feel when you visit the campus'.

With in the campus they both have the same kinds of facilities in terms of bars and clubs, as neither have a club and both have one main bar, although in nottingham each catered accommodation have their own bar, but I'm not sure how well used these are. I loved the city in Nottingham, it has all the mainstream shops as well as little lanes with independent shops. I wasn't a fan of the nearest centre in Southampton, as it just generally didn't have much in it, but I understand there are places further away that people occasionally go for shopping. From everyone I've asked, the nightlife seems great in both places, Nottingham has several bars and clubs in the city, you can get a bus there for like a pound, and then I think Southampton has a particular street with many bars and clubs along it.

So yeah that my general opinion of both universities, both great but for me I chose nottingham due to the large campus, higher in rankings for geog and awesome city (it has a cat cafe :O) Hope this was in some way helpful, I'm not an expert so I mean anyone correct me if I wrong in any of this Also a lot of people have said that nottingham is looked at very highly by employers which is another selling point

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.