Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of these 'friends' and i honestly prefer to be alone most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be your friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    Can I? Need this friend army, badly ;P
    Of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That advice hasn't worked for five years. I doubt it is true.
    It is true. I do it myself. The more you try, the more distant you'll become from those around you. People love it when you're yourself, it's best to stay that way.

(Original post by Matrix123)
    Well said - I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks Matrix!

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I have no friends either. I just don't get along with people very well. Too much small talk, you know?

I value knowledge above everything else and dedicated my life to studying atoms, I'm ace too so I don't really give a toss who's broken up with who or who's had sex with who but that's all people seem to want to talk about. Whenever I start talking about how awesome atoms/molecules are (especially hydrogen peroxide ) people get all like "oh shut up you, nobody cares." I'm the type who likes to sit down with a mug of lemonade and discuss the latest advances in science and technology with other nerds, I guess that makes me too boring for most people. If you're like that too then feel free to message me, It'll be good to meet another devotee of modern science.

I wouldn't worry about having no friends though. When you try to force friendships to happen it just blows up in your face and makes you feel worse than before. Besides, what I've found is that its far better to indulge yourself in something you really enjoy than waste your time trying to 'fit in.' For me, the atoms/molecules/fundamental particles are my friends instead and I wouldn't have it any other way. When you go to university, if you're doing a course that you really enjoy, you'll find that the lecturers are just like you. For instance, when I went up to the university of Sheffield for a visit day, the professor running the course I've applied to and myself ended up fangirling together over C-20 buckyballs and their possible superconducting properties! I bet you'll have similar experiences when you go to uni

ReputationRep:
    That advice hasn't worked for five years. I doubt it is true.
    It's not very good advice that's why. Waiting for other people to approach you isn't going to work. You should take always the initiative, introduce yourself, invite people before they invite you, etc

ReputationRep:
    I'll be your tsr friend :console: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Consider me a friend now!

ReputationRep:
    You can message me too - I know how it feels to be lonely and feel you have no one - it's really tough. Stay strong x

(Original post by AlphaArgonian)
    Consider me a friend now!
    Okay!

(Original post by hollycharlotte)
    You can message me too - I know how it feels to be lonely and feel you have no one - it's really tough. Stay strong x
    Aww, Thankyou. I will do! X

ReputationRep:
    I know this is going to sound so pathetic by Everyone around me has boyfriend/girlfriends/atleastonefreakingfriend
    It sucks, I have tried to join so many clubs and go out but never did I meet one good friend.
    I am not close to My parents so I can't even talk to them freely.
    I have even tried to make friends online, on TSR and still I had no luck.
    I just want to be loved.

There was no point in this thread at all, sorry for wasting your five minutes.
    I just feel so alone. I am going to go cry now.
    message me!! always here to talk to someonee!

ReputationRep:
    True story

I saw a hottie and wanted to approach her but was too scared at that time. Here's what i did: I walked next to her, dropped an oyster card (mine) tapped her and asked it it was hers; she said shes not sure so she checked her purse and she said no. Long story short frm that day on she became my girlfriend and I know all her friends. She's my ex now but were still good friends non the less.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is going to sound so pathetic by Everyone around me has boyfriend/girlfriends/atleastonefreakingfriend
    It sucks, I have tried to join so many clubs and go out but never did I meet one good friend.
    I just want to be loved.

I will be your TSR friend XD but as for friends inrl (in real) you should try find someone with a common interest with you I know you said you tried clubs but don't be afraid to go up to someone and say hi! Start a conversation and you never know! :)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    It is true. I do it myself. The more you try, the more distant you'll become from those around you. People love it when you're yourself, it's best to stay that way.

Thanks Matrix!
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Places like this Forum and other forums are a good way to build up friendships with people, even if you never actually meet any of them in the flesh. If you have any hobbies or interests,say for example,a certain type of music,there might be an online forum for that subject ,where people with the same interests come together to chat about it and other subjects on a regular basis. I am with two forums. One is about Ballet dancing and the other is a Genealogy forum,for people who are tracing their family tree. Often you will find there are the same people who post on a regular basis and they always welcome newcomers. It`s a good way to get to know people who have similar interests to yourself. Then after a while,with the ones who you hit if off with ,maybe you can befriend each other on Facebook,or meet up for lunch if you don`t live too far away. I have Social Phobia and I like the "safety" of online forums,as it gives you that level of anonymity while still contributing to discussions [like on here] as much or as little as you want to.Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have friends and you find being in that situation unsaitisfying, I'd probably advise you to make a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Selling friends £50

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just want to be loved.

Well you got one TSR friend now bud

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, don't try making friends on the Internet. Forums and chatrooms are just full of people who are completely different in real life, so it's basically like having an imaginary friend. Instead, just go up to someone you know, talk to them about something that interests them. Talk to them more and more often and eventually start doing this to more people. After a while, you'll be one of their minor friends. Then, after you get to know each other better you'll move up to being a major friend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.