Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How important is physical attraction in a relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    Yeah I'm doing the right thing by not leading him on and giving him false hopes right?
    exactly (:

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone that says only personality matters is kidding themselves a bit, physical attraction is near vital in a relationship especially long term, if you consider the sex life two people will have would be harder without physical attraction, and having children would also be harder....why would you have children with someone who isn't attractive? Since your kids will also look like them.

Of course though there needs to be both physical attraction, and personality as factors in a relationship, attractiveness isn't everything and it means little as far as long term commitments are concerned.

Physical attraction can't be forced but over time, if you find someone's personality attractive then they can become more attractive overall in your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    yeah it's very important

good looking = good looking kids = better QoL

But personality is important too, as you have to consider, from a man's perspective at least, that this is the woman that will raise your children, so being a narcissistic, selfish wretch is a major red flag.
    lol but who automatically thinks when they meet a person 'nah, i'll pass, i don't want my kids to be ugly' come on loool. Just because your partner is good looking, doesn't mean your kids will turn out like that too. Maybe even your partner was an ugly duckling when they were a child so your kids may take after them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -CarpeDiem-)
    I think anyone that says only personality matters is kidding themselves a bit, physical attraction is near vital in a relationship especially long term, if you consider the sex life two people will have would be harder without physical attraction, and having children would also be harder....why would you have children with someone who isn't attractive? Since your kids will also look like them.

Of course though there needs to be both physical attraction, and personality as factors in a relationship, attractiveness isn't everything and it means little as far as long term commitments are concerned.

Physical attraction can't be forced but over time, if you find someone's personality attractive then they can become more attractive overall in your eyes.
    wait so i like his personality if i spend enough time with him will i start to be attracted to him too?

ReputationRep:
    Only for shallow people
    And depends on what kind of relationship, coz in my view I believe that those boyfriend/girlfriend relationships are purely based on physical attractiveness, attention and all that which doesn't really count
    So if it's a serious relationship such as marriage or wishing for that in the future it shouldn't be too important
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    lol but who automatically thinks when they meet a person 'nah, i'll pass, i don't want my kids to be ugly' come on loool. Just because your partner is good looking, doesn't mean your kids will turn out like that too. Maybe even your partner was an ugly duckling when they were a child so your kids may take after them.
    It does most of the time, because people's offspring inherit the genes of their parents, so facial features will look alike. Perhaps you misconstrued I don't expect my future hypothetical partner to have supermodel looks, I expect her to be attractive to my eye, at least. It shows that she cares about her appearance and values herself. I have never dated a woman I had considered to be unattractive and I never will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    It does most of the time, because people's offspring inherit the genes of their parents, so facial features will look alike. Perhaps you misconstrued I don't expect my future hypothetical partner to have supermodel looks, I expect her to be attractive to my eye, at least. It shows that she cares about her appearance and values herself. I have never dated a woman I had considered to be unattractive and I never will.
    Well I didn't say that looks were not important
    Well obviously when you get married etc, you would think about your children and all that
    But tbh though a person can be the attractive but does not mean their souls are

I know it is important that even you find your partner attractive

ReputationRep:
    Well I couldn't sleep with someone I didn't find attractive, so very important. Someone's personality can make them more attractive though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.