The Student Room Group

How's this for a fifth choice (medicine) ?

Okay, so i'm predicted A* A* A* A in biology, chemistry, maths and physics. I want to do medicine so these are my choices.
1) Medicine ( UCL)
2) Medicine (Manchester)
3) Medicine (Central Lancashire)
4) Medicine (Lancaster)
5) Pharmacy (Nottingham)

My main question is, is that is pharmacy a good fifth choice with a PS aimed entirely at medicine? Provided I get some work experience, will I be able to get on it? They're not going to put me down due to my PS, are they?
Original post by akash3141
Okay, so i'm predicted A* A* A* A in biology, chemistry, maths and physics. I want to do medicine so these are my choices.
1) Medicine ( UCL)
2) Medicine (Manchester)
4) Medicine (Lancaster)
5) Pharmacy (Nottingham)

My main question is, is that is pharmacy a good fifth choice with a PS aimed entirely at medicine? Provided I get some work experience, will I be able to get on it? They're not going to put me down due to my PS, are they?

Do double check this, but I'm pretty sure I heard nottingham outright reject applicants for pharmacy if medicine is their first choice. (They started doing this a few years ago).

EDIT: A lot of people apply for pharmacy as a back-up btw. Can't comment on whether it's a good decision or not, but it's v. common.
(edited 8 years ago)
1) Medicine ( UCL)
2) Medicine (Manchester)
4) Medicine (Lancaster)
5) Pharmacy (Nottingham)

The question to ask yourself is: Would I be happy studying pharmacy for 4 years (and then working as a pharmacist) if I don't get the grades for medicine?

You would have to ask Nottingham if they would accept a medicine ps, or whether you would have to submit a 2nd pharmacy focussed ps.

I'm assuming you're an international because of UCLAN.
Reply 3
With those grades I dont think you need to take up a fifth choice of Pharmacy because you're almost guaranteed to get into medicine. however, most unis don't mind if pharmacy is your fifth choice but it may be ideal to have 2 personal statements because my friend had to do that as she also opted for 4 medicine options and 1 pharmacy. :smile:
Reply 4
How about optometry, would that be a good fifth choice? No problems?
Reply 5
1) Medicine ( UCL)
2) Medicine (Manchester)
4) Medicine (Lancaster)
5) Pharmacy (Nottingham)

I applied this year for medicine and I also have an offer for pharmacy at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest