Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    If you weren't 100% sure about taking Chemistry, I would have suggested not taking that so that you could take both Further Maths and German - you don't need Chemistry for Aerospace engineering, but FM would be incredibly useful for Physics. Plus, an MFL at A-level would make you stand out from other candidates, and it'd nicely balance out those STEM subjects.

If you won't consider dropping Chemistry, then I'd suggest taking FM because most say that the Mechanics modules are very useful for Physics.
    Ok, ill consider it. Thanks for the advice
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeevy)
    yeah, its just that i really enjoy german (as in its fun) and find maths extremely interesting. But im not sure if its worth devoting that much time to solely maths.
    I see what you mean, but if you are already doing Mtahs then FM should fit in well and may overlap in places - so then you would have time to do German outside if that's what you chose, although I completely understand what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeevy)
    Thanks for the info. And its just that i might want to go into chemical engineering instead
    Ah then you might wanna leave the German aside.

To be honest, if you're gonna drop something and study it at home, it should be German. You can pick that up even at university for the first time formally. Otherwise for the next two years you're better off learning yourself.

You don't really need the German "qualification" as much as you might need the FM.

I'll be honest - I love the German language and that's why I even dropped Chemistry for it. But the course isn't really helping me at A2. I can speak German (not 100% accurately, but to a good degree nonetheless) thanks to A level, but if you are dedicated enough, you could easily achieve the same at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    I see what you mean, but if you are already doing Mtahs then FM should fit in well and may overlap in places - so then you would have time to do German outside if that's what you chose, although I completely understand what you mean
    Yeah, its a bit of a dilemma. I was told that a lot of first year further maths is in second year maths though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Ah then you might wanna leave the German aside.

To be honest, if you're gonna drop something and study it at home, it should be German. You can pick that up even at university for the first time formally. Otherwise for the next two years you're better off learning yourself.

You don't really need the German "qualification" as much as you might need the FM.

I'll be honest - I love the German language and that's why I even dropped Chemistry for it. But the course isn't really helping me at A2. I can speak German (not 100% accurately, but to a good degree nonetheless) thanks to A level, but if you are dedicated enough, you could easily achieve the same at home.
    Yeah, thats what the cambridge guy said. But i wasnt sure if he just wanted me to go away cos i kinda jumped over chairs and stuff and on stage at the end of a talk. he said i could do a course at uni (i believe he said vocational or something)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeevy)
    Yeah, its a bit of a dilemma. I was told that a lot of first year further maths is in second year maths though
    The thing is if you want to go for good places in the UK, FM is a qualification you should really have. I cannot stress how many times I've heard people rave about the usefulness of FM at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeevy)
    Yeah, thats what the cambridge guy said. But i wasnt sure if he just wanted me to go away cos i kinda jumped over chairs and stuff and on stage at the end of a talk. he said i could do a course at uni (i believe he said vocational or something)
    LOL - nah trust him. He wasn't just saying that to shoo you off
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeevy)
    Oh I was never told this, but one of the colleges I am considering does the entire maths A-level in Yr12 and then does all FM in Yr13 so it would all sort of fit in I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karwash99)
    I do both subjects and must say I prefer German, but I don't want to do engineering or anything like that so I'm no help there. All i want to say is that if you don't "mind" maths, then the amount of stuff you learn for further maths is huge and would definitely help you for your other subjects/ for your degree etc.
    Even if you thought German was a doddle at GCSE, you will definitely find it harder at A-level. The amount of vocabulary that you ought to know to get the top grades is really quite scary, but is doable if you like learning languages to begin with.
    Hmmm I like doing both subjects so this is a hard one...but I'm leaning towards further maths seeing as you want to do engineering (pretty much everyone in my further maths class wants to do engineering)
    Yeah i suppose its whether the 2 years of maths over german is worth the extra step toward engineering in the future

ReputationRep:
    Dude.. Are you.. me?

I do Maths, FM, Physics and German at A level and I'm doing aerospace next year

Tbh none of the unis I applied to considered chemistry too important as a requirement (even places like Imperial/Cambridge/MIT) - is it possible to take M, FM, Physics and German too? (if you like it that much - I know I do)

I would say FM is a near-must.

:rofl: :rofl: I was gonna tag you

(Original post by Jeevy)
    I'm wondering whether to take further maths or german as my 4th option for a-levels. My other options are chemistry, physics and maths and i am pretty confident i will be sticking with these. But i would like to go into engineering (something like aerospace) and want to know how beneficial it would be to have further maths over german. I really enjoy german and quite like maths but was wondering if this would just be too much. So which should i take?
    FM > Chemistry. Trust me, I regret taking chemistry because it's a huge workload, but I do enjoy the subject as a whole. FM is almost essential to go into engineering at a top uni. I'm starting mechanical this fall.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I was never told this, but one of the colleges I am considering does the entire maths A-level in Yr12 and then does all FM in Yr13 so it would all sort of fit in I suppose
    Yeah what i got told was a bit of a rumour sorta thing

ReputationRep:
    I was going to tag you on this. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeevy)
    Yeah what i got told was a bit of a rumour sorta thing
    It's not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Further maths will be more useful from an academic viewpoint. It's not that hard to self-study though. I think German would benefit more from a class.
    Thanks, ill take this into consideration

ReputationRep:
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I was going to tag you on this. :rofl:
    repped the wrong post - thanks though xD - glad to know I have an identity on here :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    It's not true.
    Oh, ok, thanks for clearing this up

ReputationRep:
    So as a whole would you guys recommend i take Maths, Further maths, German, and physics. I guess i could leave chemical engineering as a nice balance between enjoyment, workload and future prospects? And thanks for all the replies guys.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's not true.
    Thanks for clearing that up - quite a relief

ReputationRep:
    repped the wrong post - thanks though xD - glad to know I have an identity on here :teehee:
    Not going to lie - I kind of thought of you as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.