Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    M molecules are distributed in 2 urns, urn A and urn B. Consider the following discrete Markov chain with M +1 states where the states are enumerated by j = 0, 1, ..., M and j is the number of molecules in urn A. A transition fromone state into another occurs by choosing a molecule at random (from either urn)and putting it in the other urn.
    (a) Write down the transition matrix for general M.
    (b) Consider the case M = 2. Is the chain ergodic? Explain.

I am struggling to get started on this question. I think we the transition matrix is going to be MxM. Do I need to populate this matrix with values for question a?

I am also kind of confused about the transitional probabilities in this matrix. For example what does p_{01} mean? I think it means that A starts with 0 molecules, and something has happened to make A have 1 molecule? But this molecule must have been removed from urn B and put into urn A. But how do we know urn B has molecules for this to happen.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring_doge)
    M molecules are distributed in 2 urns, urn A and urn B. Consider the following discrete Markov chain with M +1 states where the states are enumerated by j = 0, 1, ..., M and j is the number of molecules in urn A. A transition fromone state into another occurs by choosing a molecule at random (from either urn)and putting it in the other urn.
    (a) Write down the transition matrix for general M.
    (b) Consider the case M = 2. Is the chain ergodic? Explain.

I am struggling to get started on this question. I think we the transition matrix is going to be MxM. Do I need to populate this matrix with values for question a?

I am also kind of confused about the transitional probabilities in this matrix. For example what does p_{01} mean? I think it means that A starts with 0 molecules, and something has happened to make A have 1 molecule? But this molecule must have been removed from urn B and put into urn A. But how do we know urn B has molecules for this to happen.
    Let's see if we can get you started. This markov chain has M+1 states, labelled by the number of molecules in urn A. Let us work out the state transition probabilities for state j going to state j+1 and for state j going to state j-1. If you think about it for a minute, you'll see that these are the only possible state transitions, so the collection of them fully specifies the state transition matrix.

If you are in state j, then there are j molecules in urn A and M-j in urn B. If you choose a molecule at random, then the probability that it is in urn A is (j/M) and the probability that it is in urn B is (j-M)/M. If the molecule is in urn A, then the state transition that occurs is j to j-1; if it is in urn B, the state transition that occurs is j to j+1. Can you see that this gives you the required state transition probabilities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Let's see if we can get you started. This markov chain has M+1 states, labelled by the number of molecules in urn A. Let us work out the state transition probabilities for state j going to state j+1 and for state j going to state j-1. If you think about it for a minute, you'll see that these are the only possible state transitions, so the collection of them fully specifies the state transition matrix.

If you are in state j, then there are j molecules in urn A and M-j in urn B. If you choose a molecule at random, then the probability that it is in urn A is (j/M) and the probability that it is in urn B is (j-M)/M. If the molecule is in urn A, then the state transition that occurs is j to j-1; if it is in urn B, the state transition that occurs is j to j+1. Can you see that this gives you the required state transition probabilities?
    I think I follow your explanation. So the transitional probability is the number of molecules in urn A from state j to j+1 or j-1?

Also why is there M+1 states? I thought there are M molecules so how is the possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring_doge)
    I think I follow your explanation. So the transitional probability is the number of molecules in urn A from state j to j+1 or j-1?
    The transition probabilities are not the number of molecules - but the proportion of them. If you go from state j to state j-1 then you need to have selected a molecule from urn A; if you go from j to j+1 then you need to have selected from urn B.

Also why is there M+1 states? I thought there are M molecules so how is the possible?
    There are M molecules, so you can have from 0 to M molecules in urn A, therefore M+1 states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Thanks! I understand it now.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.