Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I've been in my job for about 6 months now. It's going really well. However, I've come across a potential stumbling block.

I've never had the idea that relationships in work are something I wouldn't want but it's something I wouldn't jump at.

Basically, there has been a girl at work who I haven't had chance to get to know much, unfortunately but I've spoken to her a few times now and I really like her and she looks great as well.

Recently, I've moved seats in the office and I've noticed that she looks over a lot at me when she's going to the toilet or kitchen etc. etc.

I've also noticed that she is quite shy when she talks and is slightly nervous.

Recently I managed to get a flat which amazingly is very close to where she lives. I swear I didn't know! 😀

When I happened to mention it to her she semmed pleased.

Apart from that, she is giving the typical signs that she is interested.

However, and this a big however. She has a boyfriend. I'm pretty sure that she doesn't live with him and of course I have no idea how their relationship is going.

It's made me wonder if I'm just reading her signs wrong and I'd hate to make a fool of myself by asking an uninterested work colleague out. She doesn't seem the type to play a guy.

I'm just thinking of taking it slow. Is that the best thing to do?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're worried about making a fool of yourself for asking an uninterested colleague out? Shouldn't you be more worried about making a fool of yourself for asking out an unavailable colleague?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    You're worried about making a fool of yourself for asking an uninterested colleague out? Shouldn't you be more worried about making a fool of yourself for asking out an unavailable colleague?
    That's clearly not what she's telling him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    That's clearly not what she's telling him.
    She hasn't actually told him anything, though. It's all his interpretation of her behaviour and it also doesn't make it right to persue a taken woman!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she's just a friendly person? I smile at people all the time at work and am extra nice.

Don't you think it's a little disrespectful to ask her out when you know full well she has a boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    She hasn't actually told him anything, though. It's all his interpretation of her behaviour and it also doesn't make it right to persue a taken woman!
    She's only taken formally, and I trust my intuition of body language far more than words, that's because people are very careful about the words they choose but rarely hide what they reveal with the body.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with this post
    (Original post by Reeeeyah)
    Maybe she's just a friendly person? I smile at people all the time at work and am extra nice.

Don't you think it's a little disrespectful to ask her out when you know full well she has a boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    She's only taken formally, and I trust my intuition of body language far more than words, that's because people are very careful about the words they choose but rarely hide what they reveal with the body.
    Yeah but you haven't seen this girls body language, OP could be interpreting it all wrong. It's easy to see what you want to see when you fancy someone. Either way though, if she's making eyes at another dude when she's in a relationship she clearly isn't loyal, better off without.

ReputationRep:
    She has a boyfriend, just leave it for now.

ReputationRep:
    Get to know her better perhaps. If she still likes you alot, she will sort out whether she would like to stay with her bf or you.

I should explain a bit more. Basically, I've noticed in the last few weeks that she is literally making eyes almost every time she walks past. It's an office with a lot of people and she almost always looks over. I've also noticed a few people are making passing comments about me moving near to where she lives and that she's happy. Also one of her friends asked me the other day when I was moving. There's no way she'd know unless the girl in question was telling her, although it may of course just have been a passing comment.

I think it's worth metioning that even though I've liked her since I started working there 5 months ago, I haven't done anything because she's taken. I've even purposely not shown interest. It's just that she's suddenly stepped up her interest and it's either that I've noticed it or I suddenly really want to do something.

I think it's wrong to go after someone that's in a relationship, but at the same time, I can't understand this sudden change

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.