Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in the EU for my entire life but I have a UK passport which makes me a UK national. The websites I've looked at have made it very unclear as to if I'm eligible for a maintenance loan as they say they are available to UK nationals but not to EU students. I'm very confused. Does anyone know if I'm eligible or not?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by theKTanator)
    I've lived in the EU for my entire life but I have a UK passport which makes me a UK national. The websites I've looked at have made it very unclear as to if I'm eligible for a maintenance loan as they say they are available to UK nationals but not to EU students. I'm very confused. Does anyone know if I'm eligible or not?
    As far as I can tell, if you are a UK national who moved to the EU (alone or with family), you are entitled to maintenance loans. http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...-fee-status#RL

2. Those who are ‘settled’ in the UK and have exercised a ‘right of residence’ in the EEA/Switzerland
    In order to qualify for 'home' fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:
    • (a) you are settled in the UK; and
    • (b) you have left the UK and exercised a right of residence having already been settled in the UK;

Note: A right of residence covers those people and their family members who are in the EEA and/or Switzerland as workers or self-employed people, or as students or self-sufficient people and, in all cases, their family members or people who have gone to the state of which they or their family member is a national.
      and
    • (c) you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the day on which the first term of the first academic year actually begins; and
    • (d) you have been ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years preceding thefirst day of the first academic year of the course; and
    • (e) in a case where the ordinary residence referred to in (d) above was wholly or mainly for the purposes of receiving full-time education, you have been ordinarily resident in EEA/Switzerland immediately before that three-year period.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.