The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Tahira__
Just want people serious answers I am just curious
Why do atheists not believe in God? What do they then believe in?

Doubt an all loving God would sentence most people to eternal torture for various reasons, from genocide to ...urrrrm fornication and eating pork *GASP*
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I think atheists are often ignorant.

Are you saying that in relation / relative to religious people? Presumably so.

Why do you believe that?
(I hate being patronising in this instance, but remember point, evidence, explanation from GCSE.)

Me: 'I think religious people are more ignorant than atheists.'

What would you believe is the purpose of life?

The purpose we attribute to it.
There is no inherent purpose for [human] life, not even reproduction.
(There's no inherent purpose for life for that matter, because there's no design / intent / purpose in evolution.)

Then how were you created
This being, a human body, which is the most complex creation on this earth
Was created by no one? It just came to be?

Yes

I wouldn't say it's as simple as i"it is" or "it is not their choice."

I wouldn't say many religious people choose to be religious, and I suppose by transition properties many atheists don't choose to be atheists (immediately, anyway.) I think it's more there's an element of choice in changing.

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Yes, and it baffles you because you don't understand biology and chemistry, educate yourself.

PRSOM. :laugh:

Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
About religion. Yes i do know it's different for everyone, maybe they believed in God to start with, then entirely accepted that he does not exist. But from the atheists i have been around, a majority of them are ignorant about religion and on minor occasions, science.

Can you give me some of your experiences on what they're ignorant on?
(From past experience) I can presume it's the religious person who's ignorant about (their own) religion.

This is because it is logic
Why would we be here if there weren't a reason?
No we just came into this life just so we can grow old and leave property for someone else to own later on in life

http://youtu.be/7d16CpWp-ok

It's not so much as a reason for life than a cause or interactions between different factors and tendencies.
Reason has a greater emphasis on design, which is illogical therefore the wording is inappropriate.

(In bold:smile: You just attributed purpose (perhaps an inherent one) to someone else's life. Shame on you.
Original post by jonbass3
umm... actually we don't, and an ever increasing proportion of the scientific community are looking for alternatives to the big bang. the strongest contender currently is cyclical expansion, the universe constantly goes through cycles of expanding and collapsing. although i prefer the one about universes rubbing off each other. there's another weird one based on coral formation that i don't fully understand but it doesn't seem that popular anyway.

the very thing about big bang theory that has lost it favour is the claim of all matter and energy existing in a single point or quantum singularity as you put it. the guy who's leading the cyclical expansion alternative said that when you try to do that the maths stops working and if that happens its because you're doing something wrong, hence him coming up with an alternative...

"cyclic expansion", "inflation" and "big freeze" and "big crunch" are surely all to do with the fate of the universe or the mechanisms of the process, not the process itself? For example, there are hypothesises out there that explain the rate and mechanisms of evolution (e.g. punctuated equilibrium) which differs but evolution itself is considered a well-built theory in biology... Surely, the fact that the universe is expanding and has expanded from an "origin" (I use that word very loosely) is believed to true based on an overwhelming array of evidence?
Although I agree about "single point energy", I think some part of the theory is maybe based on consistency and not "proof" (but "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck... then its probably a duck")
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Your dismal lack of scientific understanding is shining bright like a beacon in this thread.

The Big Bang happened, all the evidence supports it. Just because science does not yet know how and why the singularity expanded doesn't mean that it didn't, we know it did.

i also know that the universe is expanding its was written in the Quran 1400 years ago which scientists just discovered recently....no matter how far science aims to reach it will never be able to fully understand this universe, because verily a hypothesis is a CLAIM backed by evidence ...that evidence again is accepted by SCIENTISTS which shares the same mind as the person that researched into it in the first place..so it obviously takes someone with a greater sense of knowledge and to prove the claim right or wrong! And that is none other than God
@Tahira__ I'll propose a different question.

Even if I did believe in the existence of God, why would I listen to him and follow his set-out way of life, bar out of fear?
Even if he was my creator, what obligations do I have to him?
I'm an atheist and I don't *not* believe in a God. I just reject all religion's claims that their version is the correct one. If there is a God, it is definitely not what any of the religious scriptures across this world claim it to be. Being religious does essentially mean that you're claiming that your particular religion is the correct one. That is only denouncing one less religion than all atheists.
Reply 186
The expansion of the universe
"And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it."(The Qur'an, 51:47)

The earth orbiting around the sun
While referring to the Sun and the Moon in the Qur'an, it is emphasized that each moves in a definite orbit."It is He Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They swim along, each in an orbit. "(The Qur'an, 21:33)

The sky
We made the sky a preserved and protected roof yet still they turn away from Our Signs.."(The Qur'an, 21:32)This attribute of the sky has been proved by scientific research carried out in the 20th century.The atmosphere surrounding the earth serves crucial functions for the continuity of life. While destroying many meteors big and small as they approach the earth, it prevents them from falling to earth and harming living things.

Would you like me to give you any more evidence? I would be happy to

I truly don't see how these predictions should make us believe in an all powerful creator. I could make some prediction that could be proved in 500 years....should people start worshipping me??
Original post by malaikaxx
*crying with laughter* listen honey to this very day science has not proven how the big bang started in terms of how the centre of explosion happened, how is it possible to make a hypothesis about after events when those very scientists (which you atheists lean on for prove about the universe) haven't even figured out how the core of everything happened to prove after events right

Your first point is correct. We have not, and cannot prove how or why the big bang occurred.

But if you have evidence that it was a god that caused it, then I'd love to hear it. I'm sure it's much more convincing than the genuine scientific theories like the big bounce.
The Atheist and the scientist claim that there is no supreme being or Almighty,
Yes, the likelihood of there being an almighty (specially your favourite almighty) is so low that it's negligible... You don't know its true, why worship it?

Firstly, "The Atheist" .... wtf? who is "the atheist" and "the scientist"? I never knew we had a prophet?

scientists have yet to discover the species of fish and plants that are present in the rain forest of Brazil and 70% of the ocean is untouched.
So?
Perhaps they should do more research on this
Maybe if orthodox Islamic countries spend less time studying scripture based on conjecture, maybe there would be more scientists researching them. If people spent less time trying to link scientific facts to vague Quranic verses, they would have more time researching.
tiny planet using their tiny brains
Projection, projection, projection....

before disproving the existence of Allah who is far beyond their reach

You're the one that's worshipping Allah, not me. The onus is on you to prove your space-daddy sky god... can you disprove to me that an invisible untouchable rainbow-coloured skittles breathing dragon exists?

once you watch this you're mind might finally switch on after a loong time

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbnUMqLQ78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbnUMqLQ78

I'm not in a position to watch any video on YT right now, but I'll watch it as soon I can and see what this is about...
(edited 8 years ago)
i also know that the universe is expanding its was written in the Quran 1400 years ago which scientists just discovered recently....no matter how far science aims to reach it will never be able to fully understand this universe, because verily a hypothesis is a CLAIM backed by evidence ...that evidence again is accepted by SCIENTISTS which shares the same mind as the person that researched into it in the first place..so it obviously takes someone with a greater sense of knowledge and to prove the claim right or wrong! And that is none other than God

Do all Muslims get their claims from the same garbage websites? Plenty of civilisations said the universe was expanding before Islam and the Quran says it's steadily expanding which is wrong. The Quran contains no accurate science that was recently discovered.
Original post by chemting
"cyclic expansion", "inflation" and "big freeze" and "big crunch" are surely all to do with the fate of the universe or the mechanisms of the process, not the process itself? For example, there are hypothesises out there that explain the rate and mechanisms of evolution (e.g. punctuated equilibrium) which differs but evolution itself is considered a well-built theory in biology... Surely, the fact that the universe is expanding and has expanded from an "origin" (I use that word very loosely) is believed to true based on an overwhelming array of evidence?
Although I agree about "single point energy", I think some part of the theory is maybe based on consistency and not "proof" (but "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck... then its probably a duck":wink:

surely if cyclical expansion is the fate of the universe then its likely also the history? my calling the theory cyclical expansion was not so much me using the name of the theory as describing the main premise of the theory.

personally i wouldn't call the evidence for big bang overwhelming array but then the chances of my having seen all of the evidence are slim. from my (perhaps faulty) understanding, a large part of the evidence for big bang is a backwards extrapolation from the (really quite convincing) evidence that the universe is expanding. "its expanding so it must have been smaller, and could probably be expanding from a point".

also, heres a BBC documentary on the new theories if youre interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpj-MdLYYPo
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Do all Muslims get their claims from the same garbage websites? Plenty of civilisations said the universe was expanding before Islam and the Quran says it's steadily expanding which is wrong. The Quran contains no accurate science that was recently discovered.

coudl you please quote some of these "civilians" that said the universe was expanding before Islam and the Quran?
Original post by ILikePasta
Evolution

Evolution doesn't really explain how life came to exist in the first place. It just explains how living organisms changed and adapted after coming into existence.
coudl you please quote some of these "civilians" that said the universe was expanding before Islam and the Quran?

The Hindu Rigveda written around 2000 years before Muhammad says the universe expanded from a single point.

The standard view in China during the 3rd century was that the universe expanded and even tried to quantify the rate of expansion, to name some of the obvious ones.

You've still ignored the fact that the Quranic verse about steady expansion is wrong..
Original post by tazarooni89
Evolution doesn't really explain how life came to exist in the first place. It just explains how living organisms changed and adapted after coming into existence.

Abiogenesis
Original post by chemting
Abiogenesis

That's a little better :p: But now that we've got the correct name of the phenomenon, the next job is probably to explain how and why it happened.
Original post by tazarooni89
That's a little better :p: But now that we've got the correct name of the phenomenon, the next job is probably to explain how and why it happened.

Zeus zapped lightning on a pool of mud and Thor gave it a tap with his hammer...
Original post by Mjcal1
Doubt an all loving God would sentence most people to eternal torture for various reasons, from genocide to ...urrrrm fornication and eating pork *GASP*

my personal belief is that hell is not a place of eternal torture or damnation or anything at all for that matter. if you picture the soul as a hard drive then hell is when it gets wiped. not eternal torture, eternal lack of existence, its not even peaceful, its just nothing.
Original post by Frank Underwood
I'm an atheist and I don't *not* believe in a God. I just reject all religion's claims that their version is the correct one. If there is a God, it is definitely not what any of the religious scriptures across this world claim it to be. Being religious does essentially mean that you're claiming that your particular religion is the correct one. That is only denouncing one less religion than all atheists.

in essence i agree with you, i don't claim to pretend that my beliefs are the only correct one, in fact i acknowledge that i'm likely wrong. i believe what i believe because it feels right to me.
Original post by Mjcal1
I truly don't see how these predictions should make us believe in an all powerful creator. I could make some prediction that could be proved in 500 years....should people start worshipping me??

probably someone would.

Latest

Trending

Trending