Turn on thread page Beta

Why do atheists not believe in God? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you could tell me the Koran predicted that Leicester was going to win the Premier League.

I have no idea what you are on about
    But would like you to answer seriously
    I'm guessing you just came out with that outburst because I struck you with something that I had said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    BristolFresher15 once gave an excellent explanation for why this is a deliberate translation error made by modern apologists in defence of their patently false claims about scientific miracles. Hopefully he can oblige once more.
    If you could explain this to me I'll be more then impressed
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Tahira__)
    The expansion of the universe
    "And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it."(The Qur'an, 51:47)

The earth orbiting around the sun
    While referring to the Sun and the Moon in the Qur'an, it is emphasized that each moves in a definite orbit."It is He Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They swim along, each in an orbit. "(The Qur'an, 21:33)

The sky
    We made the sky a preserved and protected roof yet still they turn away from Our Signs.."(The Qur'an, 21:32)This attribute of the sky has been proved by scientific research carried out in the 20th century.The atmosphere surrounding the earth serves crucial functions for the continuity of life. While destroying many meteors big and small as they approach the earth, it prevents them from falling to earth and harming living things.

Would you like me to give you any more evidence? I would be happy to
    What is this supposed to show? With all due respect if you make a load of random statements then it's a matter of probability that you'll be able to interpret some of them as being true.

ReputationRep:

While referring to the Sun and the Moon in the Qur'an, it is emphasized that each moves in a definite orbit."It is He Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They swim along, each in an orbit. "(The Qur'an, 21:33)
    Fyi, heliocentrism (Earth orbiting around the Sun) was first theorised by Aristarchus of Samos at least 800 years before the Koran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos

Please continue to provide your "evidences". :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    What is this supposed to show? With all due respect if you make a load of random statements then it's a matter of probability that you'll be able to interpret some of them as being true.
    If you do not believe what I had written to be true I would like you to read the translation of the Quran
    Even then if you believe that this translation has been changed in order to appear like it does then why don't you read the actual Quran with the Arabic text, in which each and every word has never been changed ever since it was written down
    Then you would not be able to say that it is has been changed to appear to be true

If you could explain this to me I'll be more then impressed
    I've already implied it: if you looked at older translations of that same verse, you'd find that no such predictions of an expanding universe were made. It's re-interpretation as a matter of convenience. Nothing more.

Besides, as Hitchens would have said: I'll give you all the miracles, but that still doesn't prove any of the supernatural claims made by you, nor the truth of the moral commandments of your religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    BristolFresher15 once gave an excellent explanation for why this is a deliberate translation error made by modern apologists in defence of their patently false claims about scientific miracles. Hopefully he can oblige once more.
    I can't believe this apologism is still going round after it has been debunked so many times

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Fyi, heliocentrism (Earth orbiting around the Sun) was first theorised by Aristarchus of Samos at least 800 years before the Koran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos

Please continue to provide your "evidences". :rofl:

http://www.missionislam.com/science/book.htm

ReputationRep:
    Hydeman I shall try my best!

English Translations of Verse 51:47 prior or around the time of Edwin Hubble's discovery in the 1930's of an expanding universe:

"...With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of space.... " (Surah 51:47). Yusufali
    "...We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).... " (Surah 51:47). Pickthal
    "...And the heaven, We raised it high with power, and most surely We are the makers of things ample.... " (Surah 51:47). Shakir

Late twentieth century translations - after Hubble's discovery of the expansion aspect was deemed concrete science:

Shabbir Ahmed:
    "And it is We Who have built the Universe, and behold, We are steadily expanding it."

Dr. Munir Munshey:
    "With Our power and prowess, We brought into being the universe. And indeed, We expand it (steadily)!"

Progressive Muslims:
    "And We constructed the universe using matter, and We will expand it."

Muhammad Asad:
    "And it is We who have built the universe with [Our creative] power; and, verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it."

Arberry:
    "And heaven -- We built it with might, and We extend it wide."

Sarwar:
    "We have made the heavens with Our own hands and We expanded it."

Khalifah:
    "We constructed the sky with our hands, and we will continue to expand it."

You can see the clear transformation of interpretations; proving that Islamic 'scholars' employ malleability when it comes to Quranic scripture. Hence, the Quran is not as infallible as Islamic teachings claim.

ReputationRep:
    why do vegans not eat meat ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Because they're not retarded.
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    If you do not believe what I had written to be true I would like you to read the translation of the Quran
    Even then if you believe that this translation has been changed in order to appear like it does then why don't you read the actual Quran with the Arabic text, in which each and every word has never been changed ever since it was written down
    Then you would not be able to say that it is has been changed to appear to be true
    How can you be sure it's never changed? Have you got a copy from over 1000 years ago?

ReputationRep:
    Because they don't believe in God...

There's really not much to it.

-Some want proof
    -Some flat out don't believe in a God and never will

Then how were you createdThis being, a human body, which is the most complex creation on this earthWas created by no one? It just came to be?
    Why does this God that acts upon our world allow people to suffer? After all, he is all knowing, thus has no need to test our faith.

The expansion of the universeThe earth orbiting around the sunThe sky...
    #1 and #2 are open to interpretation if you ask me.

Personally, I have my doubts about #1 being about the universe. Sounds more like an ever expanding heaven, which would be an otherworldly place would it not?

#2 If it's referring to the sun and moon and then says "they swim along, each in an orbit", does that not suggest that it used the old theory of the Earth being the centre of the universe, or at least the centre of our solar system? Not to mention the idea that the planets orbited the sun has been around as early as the 3rd century BC, whereas the Quran was believed to exist from the year 610 (Muslim belief and Islamic scholarly accounts).

I'd also wager that the idea of #3 was also an old idea that's been around for centuries as well.

(Original post by chemting)
    I can't believe this apologism is still going round after it has been debunked so many times

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given the bubble in which a lot of religious parents raise their children, I almost don't have it in me to blame teenagers who turn up on this website and are bewildered when such apologia isn't greeted with unanimous cries of, 'MashaAllah, sister!' and 'Alhamdulillah, brother!'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My argument is not that it's been changed (although I'm sure that the modern Qu'ran is not a carbon copy of the original), I'm saying that the literal interpretation of the entire text is not an accurate representation of the physical reality as implicated by modern science. Whilst I completely accept that you can find plenty of extracts that can be interpreted to agree with our modern understanding of the world, there will be plenty of extracts that can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Why don't theists believe in rainbow-coloured invisible dragons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Something can't be both rainbow coloured and invisible.

ReputationRep:
    Science provides evidence that disproves a lot of things that the bible states. Also seeing how far it has backtracked as our understanding of the world increases means i see it as only a matter of time before religion is obsolete. It is purely a coping mechanism in my eyes, when you have nothing but poverty you rely on faith, for the wealtherit is just maintaining tradition. I'm quite nihilistic in my approach to life and the lack of a god is equally saddening as it is liberating for me.

ReputationRep:

This passage doesn't posit heliocentrism, it merely states that both the Sun and the Moon orbit things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Something can't be both rainbow coloured and invisible.
    Are you being dragonophobic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Because they're not retarded.

So you are saying that just believing that there is a purpose of life is retarded?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.