Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know by how much the grade boundaries will increase at the most (i know it depends on how well everyone does). i had a statistics exam today and everyone found it easy except for me, so i was wondering by how much will the grade boundaries go up at the most. any Ideas?

(Original post by az1)
    does anyone know by how much the grade boundaries will increase at the most (i know it depends on how well everyone does). i had a statistics exam today and everyone found it easy except for me, so i was wondering by how much will the grade boundaries go up at the most. any Ideas?
    You'll find the most they usually go up by (and I mean even on stupidly easy P1 exams where people get rediculous scores) is about 5%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1)
    for edexcel, the highest S1 i've seen is 62/75 (June '03), and the highest for S2 i've seen is 61/75 (Jun'04).....this is for an A, btw

ReputationRep:
    sorry i forgot to add it was a gcse exam not a-levels. if it doesn't increase by that much for a-levels would this also apply to gcse's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1)
    sorry i forgot to add it was a gcse exam not a-levels. if it doesn't increase by that much for a-levels would this also apply to gcse's?
    tbh, i don't really know- but i would imagine it's the same sort of thing....

ReputationRep:
    i also did the maths edexcel 2 day, i found it okay but i did get stuck on many questions especially the histogram, binomial and standard deviation

(Original post by mockel)
    tbh, i don't really know- but i would imagine it's the same sort of thing....
    I would expect that it would be even lower due to the fact that virtually every student in the country takes GCSE's whereas less actually go onto do AS's and A2's post GCSE. The wider spread of ability levels could mean the bar will be set slightly lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I would expect that it would be even lower due to the fact that virtually every student in the country takes GCSE's whereas less actually go onto do AS's and A2's post GCSE. The wider spread of ability levels could mean the bar will be set slightly lower.
    that's a good point

ReputationRep:
    also does any 1 no the grade boundaries for this exam; edexcel statisics gcse

ReputationRep:
    Quote "I would expect that it would be even lower due to the fact that virtually every student in the country takes GCSE's whereas less actually go onto do AS's and A2's post GCSE. The wider spread of ability levels could mean the bar will be set slightly lower."

that's not necessarily right because not everyone takes Statistics in fact only 20,000 took it last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1)
    that's not necessarily right because not everyone takes Statistics in fact only 20,000 took it last year.
    only a true statistician would quote tht fact

(Original post by az1)
    Quote "I would expect that it would be even lower due to the fact that virtually every student in the country takes GCSE's whereas less actually go onto do AS's and A2's post GCSE. The wider spread of ability levels could mean the bar will be set slightly lower."

The point about the wider ranging ability levels still stands reguardless of the sample of students you select. That is unless there are academic requirements to actually take statistics, are there?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The point about the wider ranging ability levels still stands reguardless of the sample of students you select. That is unless there are academic requirements to actually take statistics, are there?!? :confused:
    Leekey has wise man been banned????

(Original post by Machine)
    Leekey has wise man been banned????
    I think he may have been but I'm not certain when / what for. Further discussion via PM if you require it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    for edexcel, the highest S1 i've seen is 62/75 (June '03), and the highest for S2 i've seen is 61/75 (Jun'04).....this is for an A, btw
    That's interesting, especially since they haven't even marked Jun'04 yet...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]The point about the wider ranging ability levels still stands reguardless of the sample of students you select. That is unless there are academic requirements to actually take statistics, are there?!?

in my school there are, you need a level 7 in your KS3 sats to be even entered

(Original post by az1)
    in my school there are, you need a level 7 in your KS3 sats to be even entered
    If that were implemented nationwide then your point would have been much more valid. I would suggest that most schools do not adopt this methodology though.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about the P3, M3, P2, M2 grade boundaries ?
    P3 & M3 were challenging, P2 and M2 were fine in my opinion but ....

ReputationRep:
    If that were implemented nationwide then your point would have been much more valid. I would suggest that most schools do not adopt this methodology though.
    Checking AQA you only needed 49/120 to get a C last year which is pretty low, though an A was 80/120. Standards dont seem much different from normally maths thens.

ReputationRep:
    to anyone who did do statistics yesterday(aqa), do you reckon the boundaries will go up signifcanlty?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.