Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yep, I wouldn't necessarily go by YT vids. The CSAT is now a key part of the process for Cambridge.
    https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/...missions-test/

And the source for your assertion that Oxford value the interview above everything else?

Perhaps gavinlowe could comment?
    That's the impression I got when I was going through.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I wouldn't necessarily go by YT vids. The CSAT is now a key part of the process for Cambridge.

And the source for your assertion that Oxford value the interview above everything else?

I consider the interviews the most reliable indicator of a candidate's potential, and so it's the one I put most emphasis on (but the phrase "above everything else" is a bit of an exaggeration). I see the MAT primarily as a shortlisting tool: we shortlist about three candidates for every place, so that we have time to give each shortlisted candidate several interviews. But it certainly also provides some input into final decisions.

I've no idea whether Oxford or Cambridge interviews are harder.

Gavin
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    I consider the interviews the most reliable indicator of a candidate's potential, and so it's the one I put most emphasis on (but the phrase "above everything else" is a bit of an exaggeration). I see the MAT primarily as a shortlisting tool: we shortlist about three candidates for every place, so that we have time to give each shortlisted candidate several interviews. But it certainly also provides some input into final decisions.

Gavin
    Thanks

ReputationRep:

Gavin
    What are the chances for somebody reapplying after getting rejected by Oxford (specifically for Maths)?

ReputationRep:

And the source for your assertion "Oxford value the interview above all else"?

As feedback from Jesus college, Oxford for History and Politics I was told that this was why I had not received an offer. Upon badgering the Admissions officer for more info I was told that I was pipped at the interview stage by someone who scored 69 on the HAT and 7.0 average on interviews; whereas I scored 77 on the HAT and 6.5 on interviews as they said that more emphasis was placed on the interviews ( I assume that this equates to the comment above as I would think HAT was more important than PS and written work to secure a place).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abscissa)
    What are the chances for somebody reapplying after getting rejected by Oxford (specifically for Maths)?
    It's not really possible to answer that question directly. (I assume you're now considering applying for Computer Science.)

I think that nowadays it's just as hard to get a place for Computer Science as for Mathematics. If your rejection for Mathematics was borderline, then you might have a reasonable chance. The qualities we're looking for in the two subjects are similar, but not identical: if you're better at the type of mathematics relevant for Computer Science (e.g. discrete maths, logical thinking) than more traditional mathematics (e.g. calculus, geometry) then that will give you an advantage. And we'd also want to see a genuine interest in the subject, of course.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    It's not really possible to answer that question directly. (I assume you're now considering applying for Computer Science.)

I think that nowadays it's just as hard to get a place for Computer Science as for Mathematics. If your rejection for Mathematics was borderline, then you might have a reasonable chance. The qualities we're looking for in the two subjects are similar, but not identical: if you're better at the type of mathematics relevant for Computer Science (e.g. discrete maths, logical thinking) than more traditional mathematics (e.g. calculus, geometry) then that will give you an advantage. And we'd also want to see a genuine interest in the subject, of course.

Gavin
    How much better would a reapplicant be expected to do in the MAT compared to a normal applicant, generally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abscissa)
    How much better would a reapplicant be expected to do in the MAT compared to a normal applicant, generally?
    I'd expect somebody applying post-A Levels to do 5-10 marks better than somebody applying pre-A Levels, on the grounds that they have studied an extra year of Mathematics. Note that I consider the pre- or post-A Level distinction to be more relevant than whether you've applied before.

Gavin
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by looktoyourright)
    That's good but there's no chance I will be getting A*A*A predicted I don't think I can only get 1 A* predicted
    If it helps, my old college in their reference said they couldn't really predict me A*A*A because I no longer studied there and I got an offer. They also added that I was confident I'd achieve those grades.

ReputationRep:
    I'd expect somebody applying post-A Levels to do 5-10 marks better than somebody applying pre-A Levels, on the grounds that they have studied an extra year of Mathematics. Note that I consider the pre- or post-A Level distinction to be more relevant than whether you've applied before.

Gavin
    Thanks for the information Gavin. I'll be applying again this year, for straight mathematics. Would you say that post-A level applicants are on even ground with pre-A level applicants? Sure, they will be expected to perform better, but they will also have their (hopefully) good A2 grades.

ReputationRep:
    Very hard. The application statistics speak for themselves. Be realistic about your chances of getting into Oxford and make sure you have other choices that are less difficult to get into so you don't end up with a slate of rejections on UCAS.

Best of luck

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.