Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Recently me and my partner whom originate from England have just moved to Scotland, she has family from Scotland and family who has just moved from England to Scotland, we both made the decision to move to Scotland together as she no longer has a home in England. We recently completed a BTEC Level 3 course but now want to further our education by taking a HNC course, but as we are both 19 and 20 now, we need to pay for our intuition.

    The dilemma that stands now is, we are unsure if we qualify for a loan with SAAS, we've been told different things and were also told we aren't able to get a loan from England. We've been residents in UK all our lives but only moved to Scotland in the past month, we unfortunately did not get placements in the University we wanted to attend so decided studying another college course to achieve this would be the most suited idea. The SAAS websites states you only need to be a resident in the UK for 3 years and a resident in Scotland the date before the college term starts, but we were told otherwise on the first phone call and also told because we went to college previously, that would count as having had a loan. However, we were unaware of that and that was a lower level course than the one we are deciding to study.

    Would we be eligible for these loans and has anyone been in this sort of situation before?

University open days

  • University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources


Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.