Turn on thread page Beta

I dont know what i want to do when i leave school!??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Everyone keeps asking me what I want to do when I leave school and I just honestly don't know! ( I am in year 10)
    Is this bad ??
    Do most people know what they want to be by year 10 ???
    How do I find out what I should do ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonomon)
    Everyone keeps asking me what I want to do when I leave school and I just honestly don't know! ( I am in year 10)
    Is this bad ??Do most people know what they want to be by year 10 ???
    How do I find out what I should do ???
    Don't stress, In year 10-11 I got this all the time from my school and adults, but I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do until halfway through my first year of sixth form - I did Psychology AS level and loved it, and then decided I wanted to do Psychology at uni. Before I started sixth form, I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do, so do not worry.

Many students at your age think they know what they want to do, but they will most likely change their minds from going to college and find out they're interested in something else. Others have unrealistic ideas of what they want to do, usually medicine or dentistry, etc, and they find out that their academic abilities don't fit these demanding professions. It's best to keep an open mind and not set your heart on one area, this way you won't be disappointed and you will naturally find a field of a profession that you're interested in going into in a couple of year's time.

Also, do not let others tell you what you should be interested/what you should do when you're older! If your heart isn't in it, you will not succeed - always go for what you genuinely want to do and not what others want you to do! Don't let parents or teachers bully you into doing A-level subjects and degrees that you know you won't like! Good luck, and hopefully you'll have a clearer idea of what you want to do by the time you've finished your first year of college (I'm assuming you'll go to sixth-form college!)

ReputationRep:
    Me neither, and I left school over a year ago D:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in college and I still don't know what to do. In fact will be finishing my second college year soon, where everyone is off getting offers from University, here I am, still unsure.

Don't worry too much about it because not everyone will know what to do, it will come to you, and often anyway what people think they want to do....turns out they don't enjoy it and they change their minds. You're still young and you have plenty of time. and you have a little while still to think about what to do at college if you plan going there.

My suggestion would be for you to go to open days at colleges and even Universities if you can to get an idea of courses you might want to do in the future. Also, get various different types of work experience (this will help later on anyway) so you can experience various areas of work.

ReputationRep:
    i dabbled a lot before i was in year 11 in a few ranges and eventually focused last year on a target

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 don't even know what I'm good at and what I want to do. the most important thing to me is enjoying what I do but I don't know what that will be.

ReputationRep:
    I didn’t know what I wanted to do either but just focus on the basic qualifications needed for any job and if you still don’t know what you want to do then go travelling or find yourself then you will be able to make the decision what you want to do with your life, I know it’s hard to find what you want to do but I hope you find what you want to do in the end, just believe in yourself and don’t listen to what other people say because at the end of the day you can be and do whatever you want if you put your mind to it! Good luck with your future and I wish you all the best in life, I hope I have answered your question, you only live once and try and make it count, just enjoy and live life to the fullest and you never know what will be around the corner!

ReputationRep:
    I am 45 years old so have some.experience. the answer to your question is a question I will ask you. What do you love to do ? What make.you feel good? The best advice anyone can give you is follow your heart. If you don't you will be miserable for the rest of yr life . If you do a job or career just for money. You will wake up in yr 40s feeling lost depressed probably broke. You have to take baby steps to succeed. If you take giant steps you might get caught out and it will bite you. Do what you love then people will warm to you and you will succeed. When I was at university i saw a few people doing degrees their parents chose for them. These people were very unhappy and felt stuck. Live your passion and don't fear anything. Go for it but baby steps!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.