Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a small dilemma here, so here goes. I've already taken my maths GCSE, and I'm going to take additional maths in June of this year, year 9. The obvious next step is to take A-level Maths over the next two years as I've looked at the course and I feel like I'll be able to learn the material in time. My problem is entry to sixth forms. I don't know if a sixth form would be put off from accepting me if I'd already done an A-level, and if that was the case, I'd definitely be put off from doing it. So my question is, for anyone who's had a similar experience or has knowledge in admissions, etc., do you think it would be a good idea to take it over year 10 and 11, bearing in mind what I've said above, or do you think I'd be better off waiting?

As a bonus: if I am better off waiting, what do you think would be good areas to study for the next two years?

ReputationRep:
    well A level courses are supposed to be for 2 years and the A level is quite different to GCSE level. I mean, C1 is almost exactly the same except from integration and integration. As long as you can do all GCSE A* questions, I'm sure you'd be fine doing the C1 exam. Bear in mind, in A level maths there are 6 exams in total. (c1,c2,c3,c4 and the other two depends on schools).

The advantages:

You don't have to do A level maths in the future so you can do four other A levels when you're in sixth form
    More A levels so more UCAS points

The disadvantage:

University prefer recent A level rather than ones done years ago

I hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would definitely do it this year!
    The fact you did your GCSE maths in year 8 is incredible. You could at least do the AS over one year, and if you are happy with your grade, continue to the A2 or just wait until year 12 if you perhaps are not as happy with your AS. The world is your oyster!
    I think unis would be amazed at having a student do their A level maths so early. If you take further maths in year 12 then you would not even have any issue in showing them you are still capable, so I very much doubt they would be put off.
    The spec is changing this year and will remain that way for a good few years so I don't think what the other person said about 'recent' a levels is relevant that much.
    Best of luck!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BriannaTheBreeze)
    I have a small dilemma here, so here goes. I've already taken my maths GCSE, and I'm going to take additional maths in June of this year, year 9. The obvious next step is to take A-level Maths over the next two years as I've looked at the course and I feel like I'll be able to learn the material in time. My problem is entry to sixth forms. I don't know if a sixth form would be put off from accepting me if I'd already done an A-level, and if that was the case, I'd definitely be put off from doing it. So my question is, for anyone who's had a similar experience or has knowledge in admissions, etc., do you think it would be a good idea to take it over year 10 and 11, bearing in mind what I've said above, or do you think I'd be better off waiting?

As a bonus: if I am better off waiting, what do you think would be good areas to study for the next two years?
    I would recommending not taking any exams early unless you are confident of getting the top grade. A B or C at Add maths in Year 9 just shows you were badly advised, it would be much better to take it later and nail an A. Equally, you don't want to take AS Maths in Year 10 unless you are confident you'd get an A.

It can cause problems with 6th forms if you do things early: they may use a different exam board: Maths and Further Maths are quite tied up with each other so what you've done may not mesh with how they teach it etc. You'd have to talk to the potential 6th form to see what they think.

Top universities do sometimes make offers based on A levels all achieved at the same time, so an early A* in Maths may not count towards the grades you need for university.

This is complicated by the fact that A level Maths specifications are changing and I don't know if it would be possible to take Maths on the current spec and then swap to taking Further maths on the new spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I would recommending not taking any exams early unless you are confident of getting the top grade. A B or C at Add maths in Year 9 just shows you were badly advised, it would be much better to take it later and nail an A. Equally, you don't want to take AS Maths in Year 10 unless you are confident you'd get an A.

It can cause problems with 6th forms if you do things early: they may use a different exam board: Maths and Further Maths are quite tied up with each other so what you've done may not mesh with how they teach it etc. You'd have to talk to the potential 6th form to see what they think.

Top universities do sometimes make offers based on A levels all achieved at the same time, so an early A* in Maths may not count towards the grades you need for university.

This is complicated by the fact that A level Maths specifications are changing and I don't know if it would be possible to take Maths on the current spec and then swap to taking Further maths on the new spec.
    yeah, same I agree about the university part too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayestar)
    well A level courses are supposed to be for 2 years and the A level is quite different to GCSE level. I mean, C1 is almost exactly the same except from integration and integration. As long as you can do all GCSE A* questions, I'm sure you'd be fine doing the C1 exam. Bear in mind, in A level maths there are 6 exams in total. (c1,c2,c3,c4 and the other two depends on schools).

The advantages:

You don't have to do A level maths in the future so you can do four other A levels when you're in sixth form
    More A levels so more UCAS points

The disadvantage:

University prefer recent A level rather than ones done years ago

I hope this helped
    Thanks, this was definitely helpful! I'll take into account the last bit, especially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesandgreens)
    If I were you I would definitely do it this year!
    The fact you did your GCSE maths in year 8 is incredible. You could at least do the AS over one year, and if you are happy with your grade, continue to the A2 or just wait until year 12 if you perhaps are not as happy with your AS. The world is your oyster!
    I think unis would be amazed at having a student do their A level maths so early. If you take further maths in year 12 then you would not even have any issue in showing them you are still capable, so I very much doubt they would be put off.
    The spec is changing this year and will remain that way for a good few years so I don't think what the other person said about 'recent' a levels is relevant that much.
    Best of luck!! x
    Okay, that all makes sense and it's kind of how I've been feeling lately at any rate, but hearing another person say it reassures me that I'm not being a complete halfwit! And thank you

ReputationRep:
    Okay, that all makes sense and it's kind of how I've been feeling lately at any rate, but hearing another person say it reassures me that I'm not being a complete halfwit! And thank you
    Ok just so you know universities(cambridge I know for sure) require you to still do 3 a levels during your sixth form period and you dont get offered on already taken a levels. As maths will be easy, then you want to be fairly sure of having that as two A*'s (assuming you are going to do double maths) for university purposes

ReputationRep:
    I did C1 before sixth form too. Had no effect on the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)

I definitely understand where you're coming from about the grades- if I'm going to do it early, I have to get an A. I'm confident I can do that at Add-maths level, and with another year of practise AS level too (I hope, it's not like I can be 100% sure at this point). The rest of your points are very accurate though, and it's precisely these that worry me, especially your last one (about the spec changing). All in all, thanks for some great advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123Master321)
    Ok just so you know universities(cambridge I know for sure) require you to still do 3 a levels during your sixth form period and you dont get offered on already taken a levels. As maths will be easy, then you want to be fairly sure of having that as two A*'s (assuming you are going to do double maths) for university purposes
    Ah thank you, I was planning on doing at least 3 during A level anyway, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem (and yep, double maths is my aim!) thanks for some good info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babawunga)
    I did C1 before sixth form too. Had no effect on the application.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Are you going to do double maths before a-level, if so what are your plans for maths post a level but in sixth form

ReputationRep:
    My current plan is to take A-level in years 10/11, take further maths in sixth form (as I think doing double maths on top of GCSEs would be unrealistic) and in sixth form take step papers and participate in Olympiads, as well as any other extra-curricular maths I can find!

ReputationRep:
    My current plan is to take A-level in years 10/11, take further maths in sixth form (as I think doing double maths on top of GCSEs would be unrealistic) and in sixth form take step papers and participate in Olympiads, as well as any other extra-curricular maths I can find!
    Sounds good!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good!
    Are you thinking of doing double maths yourself? I'm fairly new to Student Room but I've seen you in quite a few of the maths forums...

ReputationRep:
    Are you thinking of doing double maths yourself? I'm fairly new to Student Room but I've seen you in quite a few of the maths forums...
    Yh I pretty much only hang out in maths fora and yes I'll definitely be doing double maths. I wish I had been in your situation, the annoying thing is, I only really started to be very interested in competition maths this year, if only I'd started back then. Anyway I'm definitely improving and hopefully I might be able to get into maths at cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    Yh I pretty much only hang out in maths fora and yes I'll definitely be doing double maths. I wish I had been in your situation, the annoying thing is, I only really started to be very interested in competition maths this year, if only I'd started back then. Anyway I'm definitely improving and hopefully I might be able to get into maths at cambridge...
    That does sound annoying :/ better late than never though- you still have senior maths challenge and bmo1 and 2 so it's not too bad (that is, if you're sixth form or year 11)! I want to do maths at Cambridge too, eventually

ReputationRep:
    That does sound annoying :/ better late than never though- you still have senior maths challenge and bmo1 and 2 so it's not too bad (that is, if you're sixth form or year 11)! I want to do maths at Cambridge too, eventually
    yh im yr11 right now

ReputationRep:
    yh im yr11 right now
    you've got ages yet then, who knows- you might even get into IMO!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.