Curved surface FP2

Watch this thread
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Question 5.

I'm sitting on S = 2πy∫√(1 +x^2/(x^2+8))

And i'm struggling to get to what they want me to show.

Help pls
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Question 5.

I'm sitting on S = 2πy∫√(1 +x^2/(x^2+8))

And i'm struggling to get to what they want me to show.

Help pls
I'm very alarmed by the fact that you have the y outside the integral sign... correct version:

\displaystyle 2\pi \int_0^6 \sqrt{x^2 + 8} \sqrt{\frac{x^2 + 8 + x^2}{x^2 + 8}} \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\pi \int_0^6 \sqrt{2(x^2 + 4)} \, \mathrm{d}x
Bobjim12
Rep:
(Original post by Zacken)
I'm very alarmed by the fact that you have the y outside the integral sign... correct version:

\displaystyle 2\pi \int_0^6 \sqrt{x^2 + 8} \sqrt{\frac{x^2 + 8 + x^2}{x^2 + 8}} \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\pi \int_0^6 \sqrt{2(x^2 + 4)} \, \mathrm{d}x
i can never tell when we can just ignore the minus root, in this case y has two values............ this makes me sad.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
i can never tell when we can just ignore the minus root, in this case y has two values............ this makes me sad.
It would have made no difference had you taken the negative root - you'd get a negative area from which (I hope) you'd take the absolute value of to get the positive answer anyway. But at A-Level, you're nearly always going to be taking the positive root without any justification.

In either case - y is inside the integral!
Bobjim12
Rep:
(Original post by Zacken)
It would have made no difference had you taken the negative root - you'd get a negative area from which (I hope) you'd take the absolute value of to get the positive answer anyway. But at A-Level, you're nearly always going to be taking the positive root without any justification.

In either case - y is inside the integral!
My head hurts.

ok ty
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (15)
17.65%
The paper was reasonable (29)
34.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
36.47%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads