Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduate, no confidence and depressed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am clearly depressed because Im not enjoying my job at the moment but I cant motivate myself to do much which is pretty damn scary.

I want the hard workig and ambious me back but i feel lost and ready to give up on my dreams and being happy.

Please can someone help :/

ReputationRep:
    Is it the job/work that is making you unhappy? Or is it this feeling competely out of the blue? If it's the former, perhaps look into a change of career and if it's the latter is recommend speaking to your gp

ReputationRep:
    It happened overtime due to situations in my personal life and also just too many worries at once ie. Career aspirations and i had alot of things going wrong for me. The feeling didnt come out the blue it was developing over time. It got to point where things just getting too much and I was starting to feel like a failiure which was overwhelming.

Ive tried to deal with it by counselling which did nothing for me, i might go to the GP and try meds but I am worried about this. I am able to feel happy when doing things I enjoy and being around other happy people its just rigjt now my head is so foggy and stressed( has been three years feeling his way) coupled with this nightmare job, i cant seem to motivate myself to do anything enjoyable, and my mind is always thinking.

I dont know if meds will help someone lile me, i mostly feel depressed because I have been too hard on myself and the expectations i have formyself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justfedup)
    It happened overtime due to situations in my personal life and also just too many worries at once ie. Career aspirations and i had alot of things going wrong for me. The feeling didnt come out the blue it was developing over time. It got to point where things just getting too much and I was starting to feel like a failiure which was overwhelming.

Ive tried to deal with it by counselling which did nothing for me, i might go to the GP and try meds but I am worried about this. I am able to feel happy when doing things I enjoy and being around other happy people its just rigjt now my head is so foggy and stressed( has been three years feeling his way) coupled with this nightmare job, i cant seem to motivate myself to do anything enjoyable, and my mind is always thinking.

I dont know if meds will help someone lile me, i mostly feel depressed because I have been too hard on myself and the expectations i have formyself.
    Hiya OP. Sorry to hear that you're feeling like this. First and foremost, never think that you're a failure. I also used to feel like I was because I would never get the grades, but I found a way to overcome that and think more positively. You are special in your own way.

Giving your self high expectations is the worst. I have given myself high expectations, in addition to the expectations my teachers have given me. It doesn't help at all and they really do suck!! One thing that I do, that may be you should try is just simply looking in front of the mirror and praise yourself. These praises could be anything from what your friends have complimented you on to believing in your aspirations. Yes, it's big headed but SO WHAT.

I've been doing this almost everyday and its ended with a positive comment from a friend, where he been telling me for the past few days that I've changed and he's asked people if they agree too. I don't know why it helps, but it does. And that's what counts the most. Praising yourself makes you realise your self worth and it would eventually make you feel motivated to do whatever you want everyday. It won't feel like it has worked immediately, but trust me the affect of it will kick when you least realise it!

I hope this helps OP, and I apologise if you think it's a waste time. Do try it out if you haven't though, and let me know if you see an effect. Hope you feel better soon and I wish you the best of luck!

Remember, you are speical in your own way

:jumphug: ravioliyears x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.