Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Currently I'm a high school junior hoping to apply to study medicine in the UK. First, I'm FULLY aware it would be easier to just take the traditional pre-med and med school route here in the USA. I deliberately do not want to go that route because I know I want to be a doctor and the curriculum and clinical experience you get at a UK college in a medicine course far exceeds anything I could do as an undergrad here in the USA. All colleges here require a core curriculum with humanities and science requirements, however I truly want to focus solely on sciences since I know what I want to do. That being said, I'm nervous that I will not have the necessary prerequisites when applying via UCAS. Here's a little background on me:

I attend the #1 private school in the USA which is renowned as being a very intense and prestigious school. I have a very high GPA and am within the top percent of my class. And while class ranking numbers are withheld at our school, my college counselor believes my GPA could be the second highest of my class, with the highest GPA being that of my identical sister 😜. That being said, my school does not teach to the AP level except in math and science. I am taking the AP bio test this spring but because of the way my other requirements have fallen, I have to take AP chem, calc AB, and calc BC next spring, so I was wondering what the likelihood would be that I have a shot at acceptance? I will take the BMAT and UKCAT in the fall.

Schools I'm considering:
    Imperial college London
    St. Georges university London
    UCL
    QMUL
    Cambridge University (Murray Edwards College)

In the USA my grades make me competitive for ivies like Harvard, Columbia etc and other selective schools like MIT, Duke etc.

I also will apply with medical experience in research. I am also trying to shadow doctors as MGH (#1 hospital in USA) this summer. I also grew up in and out of MGH due to an extensive medical history so I can speak from the patient perspective as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't just think of the UK. UK medical schools are notoriously difficult to enrol in even if you are not from the EU. Plenty of continental european universities teach in english and they are just as good as the uk and a hell of a lot cheaper.

You know the surgeon who led the USA's first face transplant graduated from Czech Republic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooliomed)
    Don't just think of the UK. UK medical schools are notoriously difficult to enrol in even if you are not from the EU. Plenty of continental european universities teach in english and they are just as good as the uk and a hell of a lot cheaper.

You know the surgeon who led the USA's first face transplant graduated from Czech Republic!!
    I know there are many routes but my parents are only allowing me to apply to the UK because they want me in a fully English speaking country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpapadakis)
    I know there are many routes but my parents are only allowing me to apply to the UK because they want me in a fully English speaking country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand but language has not caused any problem for me when travelling in Europe and the young people there have been learning English since they are only 4 or 5 years old

They need to be fluent in English otherwise they have no chance in their careers these days.

ReputationRep:
    If you are set on the Uk universities have you done any volunteering long term? You seem more than capable to go to Uk unis for medicine, I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpapadakis)

Schools I'm considering:
    Imperial college London
    St. Georges university London
    UCL
    QMUL
    Cambridge University (Murray Edwards College)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're interested in applying to any of them, I'd try getting in touch with their admissions offices. If you look on their websites, they should have email addresses for them. They'll have the most detailed information and should be able to help you if you give them as much information as you did here. Good luck :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.