Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinelake)
    A potential next-door neighbour here (my daughter)
    Cool! I happened to enter the gates of Christ's thinking that it was my college... Quite similar architecture though!

Anyone knows how the placement at Edinburgh works? Is it for the whole year 4th? There are a few modules for Semester 1 that seem to be taught on campus, so perhaps the placement is from that point for the rest of the year?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to De Montfort University (Leicester School of Architecture) and received an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 006609900)
    Cool! I happened to enter the gates of Christ's thinking that it was my college... Quite similar architecture though!
    Mind you, I've got a sneaking suspicion that she'll be pooled and end up at Churchill!

ReputationRep:
    Mind you, I've got a sneaking suspicion that she'll be pooled and end up at Churchill!
    Well at least it did feature in the guardian's top five best new buildings of 2016 with it's new accommodation,Cowan Court .

Wishing I'd picked a different college as St John's appear to have had a huge surge in applicants this year so the odds don't look good Sadly as it was stunning .

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, don't fret - if the pool system works for any subject, it's architecture! How many applicants do you think they had? Look at Kings in years past.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, don't fret - if the pool system works for any subject, it's architecture! How many applicants do you think they had? Look at Kings in years past.
    True. Why do they get so many ? I'm guessing there must have been about 35 applicants for St John's this year as there seemed to be at least 30 being interviewed during the 2 dates , whereas in past few years there seem to have been about 17-20 applicants. I wonder why it was popular choice this year ? I wonder how many get pooled succesfully ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter Pan99)
    Well at least it did feature in the guardian's top five best new buildings of 2016 with it's new accommodation,Cowan Court .

Wishing I'd picked a different college as St John's appear to have had a huge surge in applicants this year so the odds don't look good Sadly as it was stunning .
    Honestly it'll make no difference because of pooling. We wont be disadvantaged in terms of getting in. Plus look at the pros, our interviewees were so nice and the whole thing was really relaxed for us (in my opinion). I mean, home alone was playing right before my interview and nothing calmed my nerves better than getting in the christmas spirit!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red99)
    True. Why do they get so many ? I'm guessing there must have been about 35 applicants for St John's this year as there seemed to be at least 30 being interviewed during the 2 dates , whereas in past few years there seem to have been about 17-20 applicants. I wonder why it was popular choice this year ? I wonder how many get pooled successfully ?
    I think 20-25% (10-15) of offers go to winter pool.
    0-3 also in summer pool.
    Kings - I've asked this and the only answer that seems to come back is "because people have heard of it" ;-)

ReputationRep:
    hi all!

international student here doing IB (hong kong), sent off my ucas 15th nov, got the following offers:

edinburgh: 34 points (655 at HL)
    bath: 36 points (766 at HL)
    UCL: just received an invite for an interview on the 8th of jan in hong kong!!
    cardiff: sent off portfolio but no reply yet
    sheffield: sent off portfolio but no reply yet

(also applied to hku and cuhk!)

i was just wondering, to those who have had the UCL interview, how many pieces of work did you bring to the interview? or how many pieces will they actually go through within the time frame of 15-20 minutes?

thanks guys!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows how the placement at Edinburgh works? Is it for the whole year 4th? There are a few modules for Semester 1 that seem to be taught on campus, so perhaps the placement is from that point for the rest of the year?
    Anyone knows? Longing to hear the answer!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows? Longing to hear the answer!
    Edinburgh's not my University, and the system is slightly different in Scotland* to England, but are you referring to the "year out" by "placement"? If so, it is not a placement, but a job.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitm...cture/studying

Typically the "year out" is for a whole year after graduating* although it can be extended up to three years (currently) and return to a Part II course on the same fee arrangement. Usually a graduate will be expected to have had a minimum of three months' Part I Architectural Assistant experience in an architect's practice (or experience in the office of a relevant discipline with a suitably qualified and recognized office mentor/ supervisor) but this is up to the discretion of each individual institution to determine. For more information, I'd recommend you look at the "Becoming an Architect" pages on the RIBA website (www.architecture.com) for PEDR.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Have been following this tread but didn't even have time to set up an account! Applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bath and GSA.

Has anyone here applied to Sidney Sussex at Cambridge?

Good luck to us all xx
    Not applying for Cambridge but I'm applying for Bath and Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Kings has way more applicants across the board, so there (and probably John's) this year will likely pool a large number.

ReputationRep:
    That guy Felipe Hernández seems to interview at Kings and Christs among others. I guess he's almost a one-man poolmaker and must do over 100 interviews each year!

ReputationRep:
    Okay urgent question, I've just uploaded my portfolio onto my 'mynottingham' account, and when I clicked on it to check that it was right and all there it only came up with the first page of the PDF, is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emurly)
    Not applying for Cambridge but I'm applying for Bath and Cardiff
    Yay!

(Original post by SebastianMesser)
    Edinburgh's not my University, and the system is slightly different in Scotland* to England, but are you referring to the "year out" by "placement"? If so, it is not a placement, but a job.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitm...cture/studying

Typically the "year out" is for a whole year after graduating* although it can be extended up to three years (currently) and return to a Part II course on the same fee arrangement. Usually a graduate will be expected to have had a minimum of three months' Part I Architectural Assistant experience in an architect's practice (or experience in the office of a relevant discipline with a suitably qualified and recognized office mentor/ supervisor) but this is up to the discretion of each individual institution to determine. For more information, I'd recommend you look at the "Becoming an Architect" pages on the RIBA website (www.architecture.com) for PEDR.
    Thanks a lot for taking time to answer. Though it's something different with Edi, like it's a placement combined into the 4th year, but to me it doesn't look like it's for the whole year. So many Edinburgh applicants here, I'm sure someone knows?

ReputationRep:
    Yay!

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer. Though it's something different with Edi, like it's a placement combined into the 4th year, but to me it doesn't look like it's for the whole year. So many Edinburgh applicants here, I'm sure someone knows?
    Hiya I think for the MA abroad pathway, it means that you will spend a year abroad for work placement and then a year back in Edinburgh for Part II of RIBA/ MA studies. Whereas the MA placement pathway, you'll be doing 9 months of work placement and then a year of master's. This is what their programme suggests : http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...018/utarch.htm
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by czhang1998)
    Hiya I think for the MA abroad pathway, it means that you will spend a year abroad for work placement and then a year back in Edinburgh for Part II of RIBA/ MA studies. Whereas the MA placement pathway, you'll be doing 9 months of work placement and then a year of master's. This is what their programme suggests : http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...018/utarch.htm
    Hope this helps
    Aw thanks, that explains so much! I've been searching for ages and somehow didn't find this useful page at their website. Do you know by any chance if the abroad pathway is work or just studying at a different uni? Also I think they say it's 2 years of master's even after the placement pathway, which to me makes sense...

Anyway, very useful to know!

BTW, I've just got an offer from Bath <3

ReputationRep:
    Aw thanks, that explains so much! I've been searching for ages and somehow didn't find this useful page at their website. Do you know by any chance if the abroad pathway is work or just studying at a different uni? Also I think they say it's 2 years of master's even after the placement pathway, which to me makes sense...

Anyway, very useful to know!

BTW, I've just got an offer from Bath <3
    Ahhhh yes you're right! It's MA(4yrs) + MArch (2yrs), and within the MA you have 9 months/1 year of placement depending on what pathway you choose I think for the abroad year it'll be work placement rather than studying in a university, but I'd suggest you to email the uni to confirm as I'm not 100% sure :/

And congrats!!!!!!!!! Bath is da bomb 👌🏼👌🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by czhang1998)
    Ahhhh yes you're right! It's MA(4yrs) + MArch (2yrs), and within the MA you have 9 months/1 year of placement depending on what pathway you choose I think for the abroad year it'll be work placement rather than studying in a university, but I'd suggest you to email the uni to confirm as I'm not 100% sure :/

And congrats!!!!!!!!! Bath is da bomb 👌🏼👌🏼
    Aww thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.