The Student Room Group

Architecture 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by christieswallow
My interview was the same day, hope I find out soon!

I'm sure you will hear soon! Did we meet ? Keep me updated
Original post by Ranatabatabaie
I was rejected form Cambridge yes, but I had my mind set and knew that if I had gotten an offer I would have to think very hard about my desicioin. You're right, ucl has an interesting approach , they're not the second architecture school in the world for nothing, but Cambridge is Cambridge. There's loads to consider. Can I ask what offers you're thinking of for firm and insurance?

Well, it's not me, but my DD - I seem to have been sucked in here (and can't esccape!). Her choices (I believe the same as czhang) are:

Cambridge - offer from Christs (A*AA)
UCL - still waiting
Bath - offer (A*AA)
Cardiff - offer (AAA)
Edinburgh - offer (AAA)

So I think in a way it's a blessing to not be faced with a dilemma, although I think DD has decided which she'd like to pick. Not much scope for an insurance, though, unless UCL comes through.
Original post by EleniAbernathy
Hello!
I'm about to study Architecture and I have to decide about my firm choice.
My choices are Cardiff, Manchester and Sheffield.
Which one do you think is the best choice and combines good degree and life?

Hiya,

Okay so out of the 3 I think Cardiff has the better regard in industry ( rated No. 3 by the architectural journal this past year) But Sheffield and Cardiff are on a pretty level playing field. In terms of student life I would say both cities have a buzzing social scene, Manchester is having a bit of a revival again so maybe a little more expensive. Cardiff is known for its student union (pretty mad) and societies (literally so many!) and the architectural society has a really good program (and has won award for best society a few times i think) Organised events include: yoga classes, film nights, socials, life drawing etc.. All of the Uni's you have selected will definitely have a good student scene due to their size, but at the end of the day the course is going to be full on so you will really have to make time for a life hahaha.....

Hope this helps!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 1143
Original post by sofiacovxo
Has anyone still not received an offer from Cardiff? They received my portfolio at the beginning of January and they still haven't responded. Should I contact them? I really want to know soon as it's the last one I'm waiting for and need to put my firm and insurance in

They received mine in December and stuff nothing :cry2: Someone else here said they waited 3 months for a reply so I'm hoping I hear this month!
hey guys. got the 4 out of 5 so far on the offers . just waiting for my UCL interview on Wednesday. fingers crossed
Original post by kmkmkmk
There are around 2000 applicants for UCL this year. That is what they told me at the interview..

2,000 is pretty much normal for UCL for Architecture

2016 - 2,330 (1,130 UK)
2015 - 2,150 (1,010 UK)
2014 - 2,010 (955 UK)
2013 - 2,020 (965 UK)
2012 - 2,180 (1,130 UK)
2011 - 2,285 (1,260 UK)
2010 - 2,290 (1,350 UK)
2009 - 2,215 (1,375 UK)
2008 - 1,940 (1,235 UK)
2007 - 1,920 (1,230 UK)
https://www.ucas.com/file/91576/download?token=Rboz6ddq

That's for all Architecture, building and planning courses but it's going to be almost entirely architecture if you compare the offer rates for that to other courses at UCL.

SO unless they were talking about 2,000 UK applicants then there hasn't been a substantial rise in applicants over the long term.
I got an offer from Edinburgh (EU student) :biggrin: So happy!
Original post by PQ
2,000 is pretty much normal for UCL for Architecture

2016 - 2,330 (1,130 UK)
2015 - 2,150 (1,010 UK)
2014 - 2,010 (955 UK)
2013 - 2,020 (965 UK)
2012 - 2,180 (1,130 UK)
2011 - 2,285 (1,260 UK)
2010 - 2,290 (1,350 UK)
2009 - 2,215 (1,375 UK)
2008 - 1,940 (1,235 UK)
2007 - 1,920 (1,230 UK)
https://www.ucas.com/file/91576/download?token=Rboz6ddq

That's for all Architecture, building and planning courses but it's going to be almost entirely architecture if you compare the offer rates for that to other courses at UCL.

SO unless they were talking about 2,000 UK applicants then there hasn't been a substantial rise in applicants over the long term.

I wonder if they've seen a post breferendum decline in applications from EU (and other countries now that UK is considered xenophobic)
Original post by thewinelake
I wonder if they've seen a post breferendum decline in applications from EU (and other countries now that UK is considered xenophobic)

There's been a drop nationally. I didn't look to see if there's been a drop nationally for architecture. It's a mixed picture because many EU applicants are keen to get residency established before article 50 is passed.
quick qurstion...
why didnt anyone apply to the AA school?
if its cus of the fee, the reason only applies to the home students cus Bartlett is more expensive than the AA to the internationals...

I just cant figure out why since it is pretty renowned and have good course for architecture

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhmj
They received mine in December and stuff nothing :cry2: Someone else here said they waited 3 months for a reply so I'm hoping I hear this month!

Same here! 3 months and still waiting ahah
Original post by 006609900
I got an offer from Edinburgh (EU student) :biggrin: So happy!

Wow, congrats!!! I'm an eu student too, let's hope I recieve an answer soon too. How are the conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GrΓ©taPanna
Wow, congrats!!! I'm an eu student too, let's hope I recieve an answer soon too. How are the conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Greta! I did see before that you also liked Edinburgh :smile:

I'm really surprised I got it this early compared to when people did last year. Fingers crossed you hear from them shortly!!!

I'll PM you :smile:
Original post by rhmj

I just got my response today any they've rejected me πŸ˜‚ Oh well it wasn't my top choice anyway
I need advice on my firm choice...
My offers are
Nottingham: AAA
Manchester: AAB
Kent: AAB
Lincoln: BBB

I think I'm going to keep Lincoln as my insurance choice because of the lower boundaries. I know that it isn't as highly ranked as the other schools however I've known people that have studied architecture at Lincoln in the past and heard good things.

For my firm choice I'm stuck between Manchester and Nottingham. I have ruled out Kent because although I'm sure it's a great course and uni, it's a little too far away from home for me. Nottingham was by far my favourite school on the open days, the campus seemed just the right fit for me however it's the highest offer of AAA and at the moment I don't feel like I will achieve higher than AAB this year so I think I may have to let Nottingham go and keep Manchester as my firm as I did also like this school.

I also considered putting Manchester a my firm and going through adjustment if I somehow manage to get all As to try for Nottingham, I'm not sure whether nottingham would still have places open by that time though.

Can anyone give me any advice on which one is better and whether I should risk Nottingham or not?

If nottingham is your fav, then go for it. You still have time. Push your limits, study harder!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need advice on my firm choice...
... at the moment I don't feel like I will achieve higher than AAB this year so I think I may have to let Nottingham go and keep Manchester as my firm as I did also like this school.

What makes you think you can't get AAA?
If it's just mocks, then I'm sure you're aware that many schools deliberately mark them meanly to get their students to work a bit harder.
I got an offer from Edinburgh a few days ago but I haven't been invited to the information day.. is this just me or am I looking in the wrong place?πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Bit late to this but I've currently got offers from Bath (A*AA) Newcastle (AAA) Loughborough (AAB) and Edinburgh (AAA) and I'm waiting on UCL. My UCL interview was 8th February and will be my firm if I get it. However does anyone have any opinions on which of the other four would be the best option if I don't get a UCL offer? Thanks!
So fellow Bartlett applicants, how much did you write in your additional statement?

This is turning out to be much harder than I imagined.....I had hoped that I would never have to write this kind of stuff again....

Quick Reply