Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfellow)
    You mean that the course is not a good fertile growing ground for creativity and that you have every bit of creativity diluted out of you until you are nothing but processed cheese? I obviously did not know that when I applied. I am already considering taking a gap year and applying to a different course next year. I guess I was hoping somebody here would convince me that things are different and that I should stick to architecture
    Sorry, but I would take the opposite view - architecture is very hard work. Only do it if you have a real calling. If stupidly long hours and criticism are going to get you down, do something else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfellow)
    . I guess I was hoping somebody here would convince me that things are different and that I should stick to architecture
    (Original post by poopiepie)
    I think you should give it a chance, if you don't enjoy it, you can always switch 😊
    (Original post by thewinelake)
    Sorry, but I would take the opposite view - architecture is very hard work. Only do it if you have a real calling. If stupidly long hours and criticism are going to get you down, do something else!
    I have to agree with thewinelake, architecture is only for the fully commited and passionate ones - it's incredibly hard for even them. Don't waste your money on a semester if you have doubts, we're talking about a great ammount of debt here.

Take a gap year, explore, find something similar or maybe something entirely new.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrétaPanna)
    I have to agree with thewinelake, architecture is only for the fully commited and passionate ones - it's incredibly hard for even them. Don't waste your money on a semester if you have doubts, we're talking about a great ammount of debt here.

Take a gap year, explore, find something similar or maybe something entirely new.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice, guys. Somebody PM'd me details of two short e-books by Moira M. Malcolm, which I have now read: 'Brick wall: How an Architecture Student was reduced to rubble' and '15 reasons NOT to study architecture in the UK'. Both are available from Amazon. I recommend a look at the free preview.

ReputationRep:
    I think GrétaPanna's suggestion of a gap year where you can work out maybe what you really want to do (assuming you can find work experience in potential alternatives) is a good one.

ReputationRep:
    Hiah!! How many here have already got an offer from UCL, how many got a rejection and how many are still waiting? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolobie)
    Hiah!! How many here have already got an offer from UCL, how many got a rejection and how many are still waiting? :confused:
    Waiting, my status is still application recieved. No news is good news though. I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting, had my interview on 8th of March and haven't heard anything 😔

(Original post by lolobie)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminnorth)
    I'm still waiting, had my interview on 8th of March and haven't heard anything 😔
    I had mine on 6th of Feb, but I think they aren't giving out decisions now, I guess they are like 'well, we are late already, so just wait till the April interviews go down too, and decide when we met everyone'. So imo we won't be hearing till 13th of April at the soonest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about Edinburgh? I went to the open day yesterday and thought that the facilities were really old😔The building itself was quite small as well...the thing is that I've only got offers from Edinburgh and Nottingham... and Edinburgh obviously has a higher ranking and better reputation🙈🆘 (+had an interview at the Bartlett on 8th of March and still waiting for a reply)

ReputationRep:
    Alright fellow archis,
    This is it for me. Finally got eliminated by Barlett today, that's 3 survivals and 2 deaths.
    Now I just need to get those damn points.

I probably won't come here again for a while, so best of luck to everybody taking the exams, and especially to the poor souls still waiting. (remember no news is good news!) :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    Helloo I have all my offers back but I can't decide between GSA (glasgow school of art) or Newcastle university - I have an unconditional to GSA and Newcastle said they would change my conditional to an unconditional if I make them my firm choice. Im Scottish so my degree at GSA would essentially be free while Newcastle would give me a lot of debt, however I really like Newcastle's course. I was wondering if people had any opinions on either schools? Or if there were any other people planning to go to GSA or Newcastle and why?? I'm split 50/50 between the two

got offer from the Bartlett, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester and AA School.
    After neogotiating with my parents I've finally made up my mind on the AA School

Wont be here as often now
    wish everyone the best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlyheadedbean)
    Has anyone else who had their UCL interview on the 30th of November not heard anything yet?
    I did around beginning of Feb and was rejected, unfortunately. If you haven't heard from them then I think they're still considering or waiting for the last of the interviews to decide.

ReputationRep:
    I need some help guys, basically I've received unconditional offers from both Kent and Central Saint Martins and I'm in a bit of a dilemma on which one to choose. I live in London and will be during the duration of my uni years. The thing that's pulling me towards Kent is reputation and the fact that they're offering me a scholarship. I won't be moving closer to the uni during term time and to travel there takes 2 hours. UAL is a good school, I got good vibes whilst I was there and it's near where I live but it's lower ranked compared to Kent and I'm not getting any sort of scholarship or bursary from them.

So I don't really know what to do...I'm a bit lost as you can see. If you guys could give me your opinions on which you would choose if you were in my position I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fattyacids)
    I need some help guys, basically I've received unconditional offers from both Kent and Central Saint Martins and I'm in a bit of a dilemma on which one to choose. I live in London and will be during the duration of my uni years. The thing that's pulling me towards Kent is reputation and the fact that they're offering me a scholarship. I won't be moving closer to the uni during term time and to travel there takes 2 hours. UAL is a good school, I got good vibes whilst I was there and it's near where I live but it's lower ranked compared to Kent and I'm not getting any sort of scholarship or bursary from them.

So I don't really know what to do...I'm a bit lost as you can see. If you guys could give me your opinions on which you would choose if you were in my position I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
    Are you actually unable to move out of London for some reason, or have you just decided that you don't want to? To add a four hour round trip to the workload of your degree seems a bizarre decision to make, frankly. League table rankings notwithstanding, CSM would be the sensible option - you can still choose not to spend any more time than is necessary at your place of study (at Kent, the decision would be more or less governed by transport considerations), but at least you wouldn't be spending twenty-odd hours a week travelling.

ReputationRep:
    How unlucky😞, when did u have your interview?
    (Original post by bbglop)
    Alright fellow archis,
    This is it for me. Finally got eliminated by Barlett today, that's 3 survivals and 2 deaths.
    Now I just need to get those damn points.

I probably won't come here again for a while, so best of luck to everybody taking the exams, and especially to the poor souls still waiting. (remember no news is good news!) :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fattyacids)

Thanks in advance.
    Isn't the scholarship making you able to move? I'd advise you to choose Kent, but not if it means soooo much travel on a daily basis.

Good luck, let us know your decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archistar)
    Helloo I have all my offers back but I can't decide between GSA (glasgow school of art) or Newcastle university - I have an unconditional to GSA and Newcastle said they would change my conditional to an unconditional if I make them my firm choice. Im Scottish so my degree at GSA would essentially be free while Newcastle would give me a lot of debt, however I really like Newcastle's course. I was wondering if people had any opinions on either schools? Or if there were any other people planning to go to GSA or Newcastle and why?? I'm split 50/50 between the two
    I liked both while considering my application, and despite the fact that I prefered Newcastle's course, I decided to choose gsa because of the lack of debt. Big mistake. I'm an eu student, and gsa rejected me, probably due to the eu cap, which is fairly insane since my grades were way beyond the typical offer, and both my portfolio and interview was good. Frankly, I am quite mad at them (though I've never really considered going there, but I'm still hurt).

Putting aside my hard feelings to gsa, don't repeat my mistake. Choose the better course. It may cost a lot, but you will earn more in the future. Earn both more money AND success.

Good luck!!! (And congrats on the offers!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sooo at the beggining of next week, ucl will hold the last bit of the interviews. Meaning that shortly after, they will give out the decisions to everyone. Anyone still waiting on them and being as excited and terrified as I am?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, me again, do you guys know anything about about the Year in Industry scheme? In the uk, does it have a good reputation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.