Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm having difficulty in answering the last part of question 2, the one that reads.."By considering a = 3 − 2 2, prove that the group of invertible elements of Z[ 2] is infinite."

It'd be very much appreciated if someone could provide me With the proof of this as it would help me to understand how to apply it to similar questions! Many thanks for any response ☺️Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457892838.691840.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  25.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @Zacken
    Not sure if the tagging is working??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Zacken
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by maths10101)
    Hey, I'm having difficulty in answering the last part of question 2, the one that reads.."By considering a = 3 − 2 2, prove that the group of invertible elements of Z[ 2] is infinite."

It'd be very much appreciated if someone could provide me With the proof of this as it would help me to understand how to apply it to similar questions! Many thanks for any response ☺️Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457892838.691840.jpg
Size:  25.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I moved this to the right forum for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths10101)
    Hey, I'm having difficulty in answering the last part of question 2, the one that reads.."By considering a = 3 − 2 2, prove that the group of invertible elements of Z[ 2] is infinite."It'd be very much appreciated if someone could provide me With the proof of this as it would help me to understand how to apply it to similar questions! Many thanks for any response ☺️Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457892838.691840.jpg
Size:  25.1 KBPosted from TSR Mobile
    Moved to maths, please post your question in the maths forum in the future.You essentially want to prove that there are an infinite number of solutions to a^2 - 2b^2 = \pm 1, them asking you to consider 3 - 2\sqrt{2} was so you could guess that if (a, b) is a positive solution to the above equation (b < a) then (a+2b, a+b) is also another solution - can you prove that this is true? It's just a bunch of plugging in.
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Zacken
    Thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Thank you.
    You're welcome . Thanks for your help.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    LOL is this A-level maths? because if it is give me a heads up and save me from 2 years of it please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    LOL is this A-level maths? because if it is give me a heads up and save me from 2 years of it please
    It's basic first year algebra.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's basic first year algebra.
    year 7 maths aye? ;-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.