Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I'm heading off to Lisbon for a couple of days just before easter (fly home on Easter Saturday night). I've obviously done some research and got an idea of the places I want to visit. However, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any hidden gems that might not be on the usual tourist trail?

Also, was thinking of possibly doing a day trip out to either Sintra or Estoril while I'm there. Has anyone been to either and have any thoughts on these places?

Finally, given that I'm going to be in the city over Good Friday, can anyone in the know recommend anything unique to see/do on that day ie parades or whatever. It also looks like a lot of the tourist attractions are open as usual, but will restaurants and everything else be open as usual as well?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Most of Lisbon is a (by Western European standards) 'hidden gem'- it's not overly touristy in most places, and is a great city for aimless wandering. Sintra has lots of beautiful and interesting architecture but probably won't take up too much of your time; it's worth a visit but IMHO not a whole day. Belem has some nice sights (though not a 'hidden gem')

ReputationRep:
    Definitely visit the alfama district

I'd also recommend the tropical botanical gardens and the marine museum.

Lisbon's a lovely city!

ReputationRep:
    Bloody amazing place. Cheap, good food, lovely scenery, great nightlife.

However, the authentic Belém pastel de nata marketing is a bit gimmicky - I honestly didn't notice the difference between that one and the ones served all over the city.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your responses guys! Keep the suggestions coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legal_eagle2012)
    Thanks for all your responses guys! Keep the suggestions coming
    Go to Adega Rossio in Baixa at lunchtime - there will be some classic Portuguese dishes such as feijoada. It will be fairly cheap and most customers are old men standing at the bar. My recommendation for a sit down classic place would be O Cantinho da Rosa up in Bairro Alto. You can get a good soup and three courses for less than 20 EUR. Also on the top floor of the Grandes Armazens do Chiado, the entrance to which is practically next to Baixa-Chiado metro station, there are a fair few decently priced food stands.

Finally - stay in a hostel. The hostelling scene in Lisbon is the best in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Go to Adega Rossio in Baixa at lunchtime - there will be some classic Portuguese dishes such as feijoada. It will be fairly cheap and most customers are old men standing at the bar. My recommendation for a sit down classic place would be O Cantinho da Rosa up in Bairro Alto. You can get a good soup and three courses for less than 20 EUR. Also on the top floor of the Grandes Armazens do Chiado, the entrance to which is practically next to Baixa-Chiado metro station, there are a fair few decently priced food stands.

Finally - stay in a hostel. The hostelling scene in Lisbon is the best in the world.
    That's great, thanks for the suggestions! Nice to know that food isn't going to be a problem: I'm a massive foodie! And yes, am already booked into a hostel (booked early, seeing as it's easter)

ReputationRep:
    I've been to many amazing cities all over the world, yet Lisbon remains one of my absolute favourites! Aside from the most popular and most-visited places, I also loved other less well-known places;

Belem area

Famous - Belem Tower, the Monument to the Maritime Explorers, the beautiful and massive Jeronimos Monastery with the Maritime Museum and Archaeology Museum attached, the famous pastel de nata shop (one of the best food experiences of my life!)

Less well-known - the tropical botanic garden, the Ethnology Museum (I especially liked the room about the Amerindians of Brazil). There's also an Electricity Museum which sounds quirky, but I didn't have time to visit so can't say how good it was.

Main city area

Famous - Castle of St George (very pretty, with fantastic views), the big museums & art galleries, the big public square next to the river (Praca do Comércio), parts of Alfama (the oldest part of town)

Less well-known - off the beaten track in Alfama, the City Museum (is centrally located but didn't seem to be as well known about as the bigger museums - the museum was interesting and I also saw an albino peacock in the garden!), the various beautiful miradouros (viewpoints - Lisbon is very hilly, so the views are often amazing!), Igreja de São Domingos (beautiful historic church with an unusual reddish interior), and so much more - just wander around and take in the lovely architecture, blossoming trees etc., stop at any small café for a morning pastel de nata and bica (custard tart and coffee, similar to an espresso but a bit longer and smoother in taste)...

Others

Cristo Rei (Lisbon's version of Rio's Cristo Redentor - get a ferry across the river to Almada - fantastic views)

Museum of the Orient
    - really interesting art and artifacts from Asia, including former Portuguese colonies like Macau and Timor-Leste. Top class museum, and free entry between 6pm and 10pm on Fridays (surprisingly, my bf and I had almost the whole museum to ourselves, even at the time of free entry).

The traditional trams - an experience in itself just going on a normal journey

National Azulejo Museum - a great museum filled with examples of the traditional Portuguese blue and white patterned tiles - doesn't sound all that interesting to some I guess, but I was really glad I'd come. Really beautiful, and includes a absolutely stunning little chapel. There was a guy sitting there on a harpsichord when my bf and I went - he must have been practising, because us two and him were the only people in the whole place. He was playing away fantastically well, turned away from us so I don't know if he was even aware we were there - it felt a bit like a private concert!

The Park of the Nations, with views of the Vasco de Gama bridge. This 17km-long bridge was designed by the same guy who did the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, and I could definitely see the influence. The Park of the Nations is in the edge of the city, a modern development, but interesting to look round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    I've been to many amazing cities all over the world, yet Lisbon remains one of my absolute favourites! Aside from the most popular and most-visited places, I also loved other less well-known places;

Belem area

Famous - Belem Tower, the Monument to the Maritime Explorers, the beautiful and massive Jeronimos Monastery with the Maritime Museum and Archaeology Museum attached, the famous pastel de nata shop (one of the best food experiences of my life!)

Less well-known - the tropical botanic garden, the Ethnology Museum (I especially liked the room about the Amerindians of Brazil). There's also an Electricity Museum which sounds quirky, but I didn't have time to visit so can't say how good it was.

Main city area

Famous - Castle of St George (very pretty, with fantastic views), the big museums & art galleries, the big public square next to the river (Praca do Comércio), parts of Alfama (the oldest part of town)

Less well-known - off the beaten track in Alfama, the City Museum (is centrally located but didn't seem to be as well known about as the bigger museums - the museum was interesting and I also saw an albino peacock in the garden!), the various beautiful miradouros (viewpoints - Lisbon is very hilly, so the views are often amazing!), Igreja de São Domingos (beautiful historic church with an unusual reddish interior), and so much more - just wander around and take in the lovely architecture, blossoming trees etc., stop at any small café for a morning pastel de nata and bica (custard tart and coffee, similar to an espresso but a bit longer and smoother in taste)...

Others

Cristo Rei (Lisbon's version of Rio's Cristo Redentor - get a ferry across the river to Almada - fantastic views)

Museum of the Orient
    - really interesting art and artifacts from Asia, including former Portuguese colonies like Macau and Timor-Leste. Top class museum, and free entry between 6pm and 10pm on Fridays (surprisingly, my bf and I had almost the whole museum to ourselves, even at the time of free entry).

The traditional trams - an experience in itself just going on a normal journey

National Azulejo Museum - a great museum filled with examples of the traditional Portuguese blue and white patterned tiles - doesn't sound all that interesting to some I guess, but I was really glad I'd come. Really beautiful, and includes a absolutely stunning little chapel. There was a guy sitting there on a harpsichord when my bf and I went - he must have been practising, because us two and him were the only people in the whole place. He was playing away fantastically well, turned away from us so I don't know if he was even aware we were there - it felt a bit like a private concert!

The Park of the Nations, with views of the Vasco de Gama bridge. This 17km-long bridge was designed by the same guy who did the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, and I could definitely see the influence. The Park of the Nations is in the edge of the city, a modern development, but interesting to look round.
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions! Will have a look into them!

ReputationRep:
    FormerlyHistoryStudent has some great tips. I live in Lisbon so if you want to know anything else just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    FormerlyHistoryStudent has some great tips. I live in Lisbon so if you want to know anything else just ask
    Thank you! Yeah, was just wondering if there was anything special/unique that was worth seeing on Good Friday at all (I don't know: parades or something) seeing as I'll be out there then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legal_eagle2012)
    Hi guys,

So I'm heading off to Lisbon for a couple of days just before easter (fly home on Easter Saturday night). I've obviously done some research and got an idea of the places I want to visit. However, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any hidden gems that might not be on the usual tourist trail?

Also, was thinking of possibly doing a day trip out to either Sintra or Estoril while I'm there. Has anyone been to either and have any thoughts on these places?

Finally, given that I'm going to be in the city over Good Friday, can anyone in the know recommend anything unique to see/do on that day ie parades or whatever. It also looks like a lot of the tourist attractions are open as usual, but will restaurants and everything else be open as usual as well?

Thanks for any help!
    I can't believe I have only just seen this I live in Lisbon and have far too many gems to share with you in one post. So I will PM you my email address and you can message me if you want.
    How odd if you are here I might have seen you and not known. I live in the area of Alcanatara which is popular with tourists and in the 15E tram route to Belem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    You can get a good soup and three courses for less than 20 EUR.
    Woah! This is why I hate the touristy area. You were seriously ripped off. I can give you the name of 3 of my favourite restaurants in the Marquês do Pombal area which a 3 course meal plus drink and coffee for less than €10. In all honesty all local restaurants won't charge more than €12 for that. Any more than that and it is a tourist trap. In fact one near Avenida metro station does a 3 course meal plus drink and coffee for €7.50. They are so friendly too. They always tell me which if my favourites are available that day.

There are also some good all you can eat buffets. Especially with Chinese. Some of which are right in the centre of he city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    I can't believe I have only just seen this I live in Lisbon and have far too many gems to share with you in one post. So I will PM you my email address and you can message me if you want.
    How odd if you are here I might have seen you and not known. I live in the area of Alcanatara which is popular with tourists and in the 15E tram route to Belem.
    Thanks! Will email you either tonight or tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    Woah! This is why I hate the touristy area. You were seriously ripped off. I can give you the name of 3 of my favourite restaurants in the Marquês do Pombal area which a 3 course meal plus drink and coffee for less than €10. In all honesty all local restaurants won't charge more than €12 for that. Any more than that and it is a tourist trap. In fact one near Avenida metro station does a 3 course meal plus drink and coffee for €7.50. They are so friendly too. They always tell me which if my favourites are available that day.

There are also some good all you can eat buffets. Especially with Chinese. Some of which are right in the centre of he city.
    Woah! I can't remember off hand as I went in 2011. It may well have been a lot less. I only said that it was less than 20 EUR - which means it could have been 9.99 or 19.99.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.