The Student Room Group

Help!!!! Me to make a decision between Bath AND Southampton

I have already received conditional offers from University of Bath and University of Southampton for Civil Engineering. I did visit both of department opening days. I still haven't made clear decision which to choose as FIRM CHOICE. They seems similar in terms of course and lab facility. Having said that, Southampton kinda rich and a bit more organised. Bath, in turn, is in higher position. I need to make a decision due to applying ICE scholarship which will due on 15th of April and I need to mention my firm uni.

Your answers would enormously be helpful for me.
Reply 2
Original post by Htet Myet
I have already received conditional offers from University of Bath and University of Southampton for Civil Engineering. I did visit both of department opening days. I still haven't made clear decision which to choose as FIRM CHOICE. They seems similar in terms of course and lab facility. Having said that, Southampton kinda rich and a bit more organised. Bath, in turn, is in higher position. I need to make a decision due to applying ICE scholarship which will due on 15th of April and I need to mention my firm uni.

Your answers would enormously be helpful for me.

Hi,

Congratulations on your offers! I'm a second year student here at Bath and although I cannot comment on what Southampton has to offer, hopefully I can give you an insight into my experiences of being a student at Bath!

Firstly it might be useful to consider the location and type of city you would like to live in. In my opinion, Bath is a really nice city to live in as it feels very safe and being a World Heritage site, it is very picturesque. Although it is a fairly small city, there are lots of shops and restaurants, and from my experience there is plenty to do (to get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!). The nightlife is pretty varied and there are student club nights on in the city nearly everyday of the week. There are 24 hour bus services that run during term time which take you from campus into town (which takes about 10-15 minutes), and the transport links are also great - I've visited Bristol several times on the train and it is very cheap and accessible.

The campus itself is fairly small and compact in comparison to other universities, however this is something that I really like about Bath; as it means the university has a real community feel and offers a very friendly, cosy and safe environment to study in. All the facilities including accommodation, a shop, the SU, the sports training village, a theatre, the library, bars, cafes and teaching spaces are on campus, making it a really nice and convenient place to live - kind of like a small town. I really enjoyed living on campus in first year as it definitely made the transition to university much easier! You might find it useful to take a look at our virtual tours which will give you a better idea of the facilities available on campus and the kind of accommodation available to first year students. With over 15,000 students at the University of Bath, there is also plenty to get involved in through the Student’s Union; whether this be societies, sports or volunteering. You can find out more about student life at Bath from our student blogs.

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth

Quick Reply

Latest