Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I will start my studies at Stirling this September, and I'm thinking about not applying for accommodation. I'm an EU student, so I will be on a pretty tight budget. I would have to move into the cheapest Stirling Accommodation (where you have to share the shower with 6 people). But I saw that a lot of rooms in Stirling (shared flat with 1-2 other people) cost about the same.
    Do you think it's a good idea to live off campus in Year 1?
    And is anyone else thinking about getting a flat? Maybe someone is interested in looking for a place together :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraM97)
    Hi! I will start my studies at Stirling this September, and I'm thinking about not applying for accommodation. I'm an EU student, so I will be on a pretty tight budget. I would have to move into the cheapest Stirling Accommodation (where you have to share the shower with 6 people). But I saw that a lot of rooms in Stirling (shared flat with 1-2 other people) cost about the same.
    And is anyone else thinking about getting a flat? Maybe someone is interested in looking for a place together :-)
    Hi Kira,

First of all, congratulations on your offer for Stirling.
    Regarding accommodation,I always strongly encourage students in 1st year to live on campus. Mainly because you'll meet many people that way and can experience the real community feel on campus. I'm an EU student as well (Netherlands), and have found living on campus for my first year an extremely good choice: close to uni and surrounded with other 1st years. There's a slight risk when you decide to live off campus that you might feel a bit excluded, because most 1st years decide to go for on campus accommodation. However, this view is my personal view, and in the end it's you that has to make the decision!
    I think you're targeting at Polwarth House as the cheapest accommodation option. I lived there in my first year and I loved it. Sharing bathroom facilities wasn't an issue for me at all and didn't cause any problems. However, I do know people may prefer to have their own bathroom or at least share it with less. This again is all very personal.

Remember when looking for off-campus accommodation that sometimes gas/electricity/water/internet as such is not included in your rent. You also have to commute from town to campus everyday. A bus pass for 4 weeks is 27 pounds with your student card. But it is true: off campus accommodation often has bigger rooms and some places are cheaper as well.(Because i totally agree rent on campus is high!!)

Obviously, I don't know how tight your budget is. What I've written above is really my personal opinion, and you have to do what you think is best for you!
    Are you coming to one of our Applicant Days in April?

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to message me! I'm happy to help

Suzanne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanne93)
    Hi Kira,

First of all, congratulations on your offer for Stirling.
    Regarding accommodation,I always strongly encourage students in 1st year to live on campus. Mainly because you'll meet many people that way and can experience the real community feel on campus. I'm an EU student as well (Netherlands), and have found living on campus for my first year an extremely good choice: close to uni and surrounded with other 1st years. There's a slight risk when you decide to live off campus that you might feel a bit excluded, because most 1st years decide to go for on campus accommodation. However, this view is my personal view, and in the end it's you that has to make the decision!
    I think you're targeting at Polwarth House as the cheapest accommodation option. I lived there in my first year and I loved it. Sharing bathroom facilities wasn't an issue for me at all and didn't cause any problems. However, I do know people may prefer to have their own bathroom or at least share it with less. This again is all very personal.

Remember when looking for off-campus accommodation that sometimes gas/electricity/water/internet as such is not included in your rent. You also have to commute from town to campus everyday. A bus pass for 4 weeks is 27 pounds with your student card. But it is true: off campus accommodation often has bigger rooms and some places are cheaper as well.(Because i totally agree rent on campus is high!!)

Obviously, I don't know how tight your budget is. What I've written above is really my personal opinion, and you have to do what you think is best for you!
    Are you coming to one of our Applicant Days in April?

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to message me! I'm happy to help

Suzanne

Thank you very very much for your opinion, I really appreciate it !
    Yeah I think it would be Polwarth for me! The sharing shower with many people thing is definitely something I would have to get used to. I guess I mainly would like to have a private room, because that way I wouldn't have to move again after Year 1 you know? It would save a lot of money and stress.
    If I could find a room not that far from Uni, I wouldn't need a bus pass because I'm a bike person (haha!)
    I would love to come in April, but I'm not sure yet if I can make it (since I do have a tight budget)
    Thank you for your help thankfully I still have some time to decide what to do

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very very much for your opinion, I really appreciate it !
    Yeah I think it would be Polwarth for me! The sharing shower with many people thing is definitely something I would have to get used to. I guess I mainly would like to have a private room, because that way I wouldn't have to move again after Year 1 you know? It would save a lot of money and stress.
    If I could find a room not that far from Uni, I wouldn't need a bus pass because I'm a bike person (haha!)
    I would love to come in April, but I'm not sure yet if I can make it (since I do have a tight budget)
    Thank you for your help thankfully I still have some time to decide what to do
    Hi Kira,

No problem at all!
    Yeah, I totally understand you wish not to share your shower with many people.
    Moving can indeed be stressful, but it shouldn't put you off from considering on campus accommodation.
    I don't know, but maybe it's also good to consider if you'll be going home again over the summer time. The summer break is more or less 4 months, and almost everyone goes home. If you want to go home but do want to keep your flat for the following year so you don't have to move, that basically means you have to pay rent over summer as well. It might be something to consider. (Unless you're staying here over summer to work for example )

Regarding the cycling: I am Dutch and I used to cycle a lot back home! Here however, it's absolutely terrifying hahaha! I tried but I gave up after a while because I feel a bit unsafe. I don't know where you're from, but if you're from a country where cycling is quite safe to do so, be prepared to be a bit shocked here hahah! At least i was! On that note, maybe there might be a nice flat in Bridge of Allan, this is a town a bit closer to uni.

I would strongly encourage you to come to the Applicant Day in April. Have you ever been here before to see it? I remember my first time when I saw it was at the Applicant Day. It is very good to get a sense of what the place is like, and also ask many many questions on everything! I'm a Student Ambassador here and I very much enjoy the Applicant Days!
    But again, I understand you're on a tight budget. So if you can't come because of financial reasons that's perfectly fine.

What is it you got accepted for? If you can't visit but have questions about our uni and life here, please private message me so I can inform you as good as possible!

Suzanne

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kira,

No problem at all!
    Yeah, I totally understand you wish not to share your shower with many people.
    Moving can indeed be stressful, but it shouldn't put you off from considering on campus accommodation.
    I don't know, but maybe it's also good to consider if you'll be going home again over the summer time. The summer break is more or less 4 months, and almost everyone goes home. If you want to go home but do want to keep your flat for the following year so you don't have to move, that basically means you have to pay rent over summer as well. It might be something to consider. (Unless you're staying here over summer to work for example )

Regarding the cycling: I am Dutch and I used to cycle a lot back home! Here however, it's absolutely terrifying hahaha! I tried but I gave up after a while because I feel a bit unsafe. I don't know where you're from, but if you're from a country where cycling is quite safe to do so, be prepared to be a bit shocked here hahah! At least i was! On that note, maybe there might be a nice flat in Bridge of Allan, this is a town a bit closer to uni.

I would strongly encourage you to come to the Applicant Day in April. Have you ever been here before to see it? I remember my first time when I saw it was at the Applicant Day. It is very good to get a sense of what the place is like, and also ask many many questions on everything! I'm a Student Ambassador here and I very much enjoy the Applicant Days!
    But again, I understand you're on a tight budget. So if you can't come because of financial reasons that's perfectly fine.

What is it you got accepted for? If you can't visit but have questions about our uni and life here, please private message me so I can inform you as good as possible!

Suzanne
    I would probably need to keep the room/flat over summer (even if I go home for the summer), because I don't think I can take all my stuff home and then back to Uni and then back home and so on (I have so many clothes and books and dvds) and I would like to work over summer if I find something
    I will def. consider living on campus but also take a look at a few flats! Thank you for the tip, I didn't know that Bridge of Allan was so close!

I am from Germany and I live in a town 20 minutes away from NL! So I cycle a looooot!!
    I will study English & Journalism studies !
    And no, I haven't been there before & I will def. try to come over in April!

ReputationRep:
    I would probably need to keep the room/flat over summer (even if I go home for the summer), because I don't think I can take all my stuff home and then back to Uni and then back home and so on (I have so many clothes and books and dvds) and I would like to work over summer if I find something
    I will def. consider living on campus but also take a look at a few flats! Thank you for the tip, I didn't know that Bridge of Allan was so close!

I am from Germany and I live in a town 20 minutes away from NL! So I cycle a looooot!!
    I will study English & Journalism studies !
    And no, I haven't been there before & I will def. try to come over in April!
    Hi Kira!

There's a company where you can store all your stuff, 1 pound per week per box. I did it last year and it worked perfectly. I'm just giving you this info so you can consider both accommodation choices as good as possible! it cost me about 140 pounds for the entire summer more or less, and they come pick your stuff up and bring it to your address when you're back.
    Also good to now cost wise is that laundry on campus costs £2,20 for a wash and £1 for tumble dry. That's quite expensive in my opinion.

Yeah, bridge of allan is really nice. Although less students live there, it is a bit closer to uni. My friend lives in a beautiful flat there for £300 a month. Especially if you're keen on cycling, Bridge of Allan is definitely something to look at!

My flatmate studies English, and she did some journalism in her first year. She greatly enjoys her course, especially because for English you never have exams, just coursework haha! And her room is FULL of books!

Yeah, if you have the possibility to come visit the uni, I would highly recommend it! You'll love it anyway, but actually seeing it for real might be good, and might give you better info on the financial side of uni and accommodation. The Applicant Days are the 9th and 16th of April!

Suzanne

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kira!

There's a company where you can store all your stuff, 1 pound per week per box. I did it last year and it worked perfectly. I'm just giving you this info so you can consider both accommodation choices as good as possible! it cost me about 140 pounds for the entire summer more or less, and they come pick your stuff up and bring it to your address when you're back.
    Also good to now cost wise is that laundry on campus costs £2,20 for a wash and £1 for tumble dry. That's quite expensive in my opinion.

Yeah, bridge of allan is really nice. Although less students live there, it is a bit closer to uni. My friend lives in a beautiful flat there for £300 a month. Especially if you're keen on cycling, Bridge of Allan is definitely something to look at!

My flatmate studies English, and she did some journalism in her first year. She greatly enjoys her course, especially because for English you never have exams, just coursework haha! And her room is FULL of books!

Yeah, if you have the possibility to come visit the uni, I would highly recommend it! You'll love it anyway, but actually seeing it for real might be good, and might give you better info on the financial side of uni and accommodation. The Applicant Days are the 9th and 16th of April!

Suzanne

okay wow that is awesome! thank you so much for telling me that! Could you send me a private message with the name of that company ? Because that's really awesome !!
    oh yeah I heard about the laundry cost, that's really expensive !
    I will take a look at flats in Bridge of Allan, I don't mind cycling at all and 300 is a good price !
    Oooooh fun! I didn't know that I would only have course work in English haha I will have to pick a 3rd subject for my 1st year and I have no clue what to take

ReputationRep:
    as far as ive heard the student halls are more expensive than living in town anyway. plus being in town means youre next to the supermarket and shops, clubs pubs etc (stirling uni is a campus on its own in bridge of allan). it wont effect your social life if youre still in town and near to the campus, i wouldnt think. also if youre looking for a flat or flatshare, you should look up on facebook the group/page "stirling uni students", as people post regularly with rooms available (will also give you an idea of prices). good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.