Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its lecture from a man called Marty Lobdell, he discusses ways of making studying more effective, I found it really useful so i throught i'd share it here incase it may help anyone else
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-...W1SjpTTRykVxgw

Summary of the video: (as requested)
    1. Study 30 mins at a time - Do not force yourself to sit and work, as soon as you start lacking or feeling bored, tired, (sometimes frustrated). Get up and leave your learning environment, take a break.
    2. talk out loud, to someone else or an empty chair
    3. 80% reciting 20% reading:
    >write it in your own words, don't try to remember it word for word, it means nothing. and then go back add in what you missed out and see what you forgot.
    >read it. look away. say it in your own words to prove to yourself you understand / know it.
    5. Remembering and recognizing are different. --> ensure you can write it out in your own words

Concepts:
    > Put in it your own words
    > Break it down, go into detail to make it more logical and therefor easier to rememmber
    > Find the meaning behind things to better understand them.
    > Think about it e.g. How would an elephant help on a deserted island in a survival situation? (This is more active.)
    > Relate it to what you already know, maybe its tied into another topic (reenforcement)
    > Study it: Now, tomorrow and a week from now. (helps with recall)
    > Straight after class expand on notes you made, recall what you heard in the lesson and use text.

Facts:
    > Rote memory: Read, Cover, write.
    > Mnemonics:
    > Acroynms: E.g. SOHCOHTOA (Sin = opp/hyp | Cos=opp/hyp | Tan=opp/adj)
    > Interactive images: Diagrams (labbled), good for things like learning the heart and Cell cycles for instance
    > Flash cards: use for things you find hard to remember, or frequently need to go over
    > Pull out key term you need to remember

Using Textbooks:
    Survay: go through the whole chapter (familiarise yourself) ask questions, things you don't understand full etc.
    Question: ask questions (the ones at the bottom of the page on most textbooks are helpful for this) this ensures you read with purpose and intent you rememmber and not just for the sake of it (or make your own using spec points or spec notes)
    Read: Read through the whole chapter linking back to the questions and preparing to be able to answer then at the end.
    Recite: ensure you understood what you read, write a summary of everything if that helps. And mark Key concepts you need to learn in each chapter.
    Reveiw: Just before exams, ensure you remmeber everything, quickly run over it again not leaving anything out.

(^ this was the part that i found really eye-opening and helpful personally)

________________________________ ______________
    Another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebJlcZMx3c

(Original post by KappaRoss)
    Its lecture from a man called Marty Lobdell, he discusses ways of making studying more effective, I found it really useful so i throught i'd share it here incase it may help anyone else
    Thank you for sharing!

Sharing is caring after all.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Looks like it will be helpful.
    What were the key points,(I will watch it but seems a bit long for tonight)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelN98)
    Thanks.
    Looks like it will be helpful.
    What were the key points,(I will watch it but seems a bit long for tonight)
    Check first post i edited them in.

ReputationRep:
    nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.