Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    What's the social life like?

Also, I heard the competition is so high that students keep notes and things to themselves and don't like to help each other as much. Scary...
    Social life's great, it starts off a bit cliquey, but once you find people you like then things are great. There are a lot of social events that happen like every week too, it's the same as any other medical school. I'd be tempted to say that imperial itself isn't that great for social life, but the medical school is like a whole different uni tbh. And nooo that's definitely not the case. Infact we even have a website called "Notebank" where people share their notes haha, everyone is very helpful, we all teach eachother, that's the best way to learn. The competition is high though, but that's what you'd expect though in medical school, but it's not ruthless competition, it's a friendly self perpetuating kind of competition, everyone improves from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    Social life's great, it starts off a bit cliquey, but once you find people you like then things are great. There are a lot of social events that happen like every week too, it's the same as any other medical school. I'd be tempted to say that imperial itself isn't that great for social life, but the medical school is like a whole different uni tbh. And nooo that's definitely not the case. Infact we even have a website called "Notebank" where people share their notes haha, everyone is very helpful, we all teach eachother, that's the best way to learn. The competition is high though, but that's what you'd expect though in medical school, but it's not ruthless competition, it's a friendly self perpetuating kind of competition, everyone improves from it
    Not sure if you would know this but is there a disadvantage doing the interview early March than, say feb or jan? Or do they still have plenty of offers to give out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamDev)
    Not sure if you would know this but is there a disadvantage doing the interview early March than, say feb or jan? Or do they still have plenty of offers to give out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My interview was in march, I'm ngl I have a feeling that they give a certain amount of offers each day, and then if one day had a load of good candidates then they will put those candidates aside until everyone's been interviewed and then give them offers later. I think, I have no idea tbh

ReputationRep:
    My interview was in march, I'm ngl I have a feeling that they give a certain amount of offers each day, and then if one day had a load of good candidates then they will put those candidates aside until everyone's been interviewed and then give them offers later. I think, I have no idea tbh
    OK cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwifruit99)
    Does anyone know if they will be sending out more interviews?
    Not sure I'm still waiting for mine, have you heard anything at all and what did U get for your bmats if U don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who got interviewed last week got an offer yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian5)
    how was your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fwong99)
    how was your interview?
    I felt like I messed up one of the questions, but apart from that I think it went okay. I just really want an offer!! Have you had an interview yet?

ReputationRep:
    What are the typical GCSE grades do you need for this course?

ReputationRep:
    No, had mine a week ago, still one week of agony and trying to remember what i said, really want to go to imperial!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj123456)
    What are the typical GCSE grades do you need for this course?
    there are no GCSE requirements for the course, though the majority of applicants will have mainly A*s and As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    No, had mine a week ago, still one week of agony and trying to remember what i said, really want to go to imperial!
    Same!! I hate this wait!

ReputationRep:
    Not yet

ReputationRep:
    Had an interview today. Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know what is the earliest they start sending offers/ rejections after interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Has the junior doctor contract finally finalised ? Also, can someone tell me why the junior doctors are upset with the new contract ? I mean the safe guarding seems somewhat better and the obvious basic(average ) pay rise too . However, I'm aware about the disadvantage to doctor who wants to do research/ women who may fall pregnant but is there any other points thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeenalochniDeepy)
    Had an interview today. Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know what is the earliest they start sending offers/ rejections after interview?
    6 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonicSam)
    Hi,
    Has the junior doctor contract finally finalised ? Also, can someone tell me why the junior doctors are upset with the new contract ? I mean the safe guarding seems somewhat better and the obvious basic(average ) pay rise too . However, I'm aware about the disadvantage to doctor who wants to do research/ women who may fall pregnant but is there any other points thanks.
    You're going to trigger a lot of people with that comment :P As far as I'm aware, the contract has extended what is considered "normal working hours" to include saturdays and extra hours during the week so as to make the NHS a "7-day service". So the basic pay has increased in accordance with the increase in typical working hours, but because doctors get paid bonuses for working out of hours, they're actually going to effectively be paid less. I think the new contract also actually removes a lot of things that were in place to prevent doctors from overworking, so the new contract is very unsafe for doctors and as a result it's unsafe for patients too. In terms of whether it's been imposed yet, I think it's going to be for the next batch of junior doctors? I'm not sure, but it does seem unfortunately that there's nothing that can be done to prevent it from being imposed, Hunt has doctors' hands tied, because if doctors strike then they're putting patients at risk, so they can't do much to challenge the government.

That's what I gathered anyway from things I've heard, I've not actually looked into it in detail, so I may be completely wrong!

ReputationRep:
    You're going to trigger a lot of people with that comment :P As far as I'm aware, the contract has extended what is considered "normal working hours" to include saturdays and extra hours during the week so as to make the NHS a "7-day service". So the basic pay has increased in accordance with the increase in typical working hours, but because doctors get paid bonuses for working out of hours, they're actually going to effectively be paid less. I think the new contract also actually removes a lot of things that were in place to prevent doctors from overworking, so the new contract is very unsafe for doctors and as a result it's unsafe for patients too. In terms of whether it's been imposed yet, I think it's going to be for the next batch of junior doctors? I'm not sure, but it does seem unfortunately that there's nothing that can be done to prevent it from being imposed, Hunt has doctors' hands tied, because if doctors strike then they're putting patients at risk, so they can't do much to challenge the government.

That's what I gathered anyway from things I've heard, I've not actually looked into it in detail, so I may be completely wrong!

Hi,
    that was what i thought to ,initial- about putting the pateints life at risk due to extened working hours. However, the maximum limit has actually decreased from 90 hours to 72 hours per week and not allowed to work more than 6 consective days in a row.e.t.c. Clearly this is better safegaurding and also doesnt doctors (apart from consultant ) already work 7 days in NHS. I thought it was only out patients stuff that wasn't working as Jr.Doctors are always around in A&E. So, it seems that the doctors are complaining about money only.. please prove me wrong , thats what i want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonicSam)
    Hi,
    that was what i thought to ,initial- about putting the pateints life at risk due to extened working hours. However, the maximum limit has actually decreased from 90 hours to 72 hours per week and not allowed to work more than 6 consective days in a row.e.t.c. Clearly this is better safegaurding and also doesnt doctors (apart from consultant ) already work 7 days in NHS. I thought it was only out patients stuff that wasn't working as Jr.Doctors are always around in A&E. So, it seems that the doctors are complaining about money only.. please prove me wrong , thats what i want
    Where are you getting this info? As far as I know, the limit to the number of hours worked is actually being raised back to 90 hours.. these things are being removed not put in place. Jeremy Hunt seems to think that death rates are higher at weekends, and that doctors need to be forced to work over weekends to combat this, but it's just not true. He's just being a typical politician looking at stats and numbers and hasn't actually thought about the fact it's pretty hard to make a life or death decision when you're tired. And even if let's just say that the argument is only about money, and not about patient safety, imagine being made to work all those hours literally saving people's lives and then get paid half as much a tube driver. You could probably get a higher hourly rate working in a restaurant. Also, studying medicine isn't cheap... I know that first hand and I'm only in my second year out of 6, so money is still important in the equation, even if it's not the most important factor. Idk, it's interesting how you seem to be quite pro-contract haha, I don't think I've ever spoke to anyone who is in favour for it

ReputationRep:
    haha, im not pro contract.. I'm just trying to find someone to argue with me. Also J.Hunt said those stats in an interview ( you can find it in youtube). I was trying to think of balanced argument for contract but I cannot seem to find good points againt contract apart from finance and I dont wanna use that reason as it may appear I have wrong intention to do medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.