Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello!

I am not economist, I am engineer. Can I get a grad job without knowing anything about finance/IB?

Are the companies flexible with that? Or they require me to have tons of extracurricular activities related to IB? I am working full time so I don't have time

any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    you apply bro

ReputationRep:
    You have already posted a similar thread before. The answer is no. First of all, you have a strong misconception of an "economist" and about the degree itself. Economists typically work in the public sector. An economics degree isn't applied in the investment banking industry, its useless theoritcal bullsh*t, that has no value in the real world. As I recall you did not go to a target university either. Unless you are from a target, semi-target university I would not bother applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    hello!

I am not economist, I am engineer. Can I get a grad job without knowing anything about finance/IB?

Are the companies flexible with that? Or they require me to have tons of extracurricular activities related to IB? I am working full time so I don't have time

any advice please?
    Do you have an engineering degree? If so, yes it's possible but will depend on which area of IB you want to work in. Have you considers other areas within financial services? You may do better applying to asset managers. What makes you want to go into the area if you know nothing about it though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Do you have an engineering degree? If so, yes it's possible but will depend on which area of IB you want to work in. Have you considers other areas within financial services? You may do better applying to asset managers. What makes you want to go into the area if you know nothing about it though?
    I'm just exploring my options to find better prospects. Tell me more about asset managers are there any schemes?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just exploring my options to find better prospects. Tell me more about asset managers are there any schemes?
    You'd do best to ask someone working in a grad role at an asset manager and doing some research via job websites such as efinancial careers. Beware of advice your get from students on here! Their opinions aren't informed by experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    You'd do best to ask someone working in a grad role at an asset manager and doing some research via job websites such as efinancial careers. Beware of advice your get from students on here! Their opinions aren't informed by experience.
    ha! thanks for this! I have bad experience of this already!

ReputationRep:
    ha! thanks for this! I have bad experience of this already!
    I can believe you!

I can give you advice on IDB, agency broking and research as I actually have the experience. If you want good solid advice on IB, get anecdotes from those with a few years in the industry to guide you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.