The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances and medical school

Hi all, just wanted to start this thread for people who are thinking about applying to med school but have had unforeseen circumstances question if they would be able to get in.

My story: during my GCSEs I became rather I'll and was admitted to hospital 4 times one in which I had to have an operation. However the operation didn't sort anything out so still left in the dark. Did my GCSE on strong painkillers (and I mean strong!) and came out with respectable 3A* 4A 1B but not maths because I was recovering from operation so had to do in November (got an A- still ill). Unfortunately I have had to take a year out of school and therefore a levels not being taken and will have to start the academic year of 2016. Have my chances of getting into med school been ruined and I know to apply to less GCSE heavy unis.

Thanks does anyone else have story like this to share.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
No I think you are fine. The medical schools should take into consideration the fact you were ill during your GCSE examination period. The important thing now is you get AAA. So long as you have the a level grades you will have equal chance of attaining a place to study medicine. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for replying. I know there's still a long road ahead but relieved that i may still stand a chance if everything else is up to par. Unfortunately now a days applying to medicine with good grades and personal statement isn't enough and there is no garenteed place even if you meet the criteria or even surpass it. But good to know I am not a lost cause yet we'll see how a levels pan out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending