Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMooseLDN)
    No, mechanical engineering although I did think about chemical engineering.

I recently stopped pretending to pray, but I had a transition period where I would skip some prayers but pray others until my frequency dropped to zero, so I'm able to pass it off as laziness. Jumuah on the other hand I go to every week, partially to appease my parents, and partly cause I quite like listening to the sermons despite not agreeing with the views the imams have.
    You gonna fast this Ramadan?
    i dunno see i haven't ever felt closer to prayers
    i guess we all go through different phases
    but its good that u think for yourself as opposed to blindly following a religion passed onto u by parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    You gonna fast this Ramadan?
    i dunno see i haven't ever felt closer to prayers
    i guess we all go through different phases
    but its good that u think for yourself as opposed to blindly following a religion passed onto u by parents
    Since it's exam season, I have an excuse to be at the library all day, so I won't be fasting unless I'm at home.

ReputationRep:
    Since it's exam season, I have an excuse to be at the library all day, so I won't be fasting unless I'm at home, but I have already expressed to my parents that on my 10 exam days during ramadan, I'm not fasting at all.
    very good i didn't fast during A levels cos i thought u know what i only get one shot at it but I'm deffo gonna make up for it this year
    cant wait for the Pakora feast man !!!!

ReputationRep:
    very good i didn't fast during A levels cos i thought u know what i only get one shot at it but I'm deffo gonna make up for it this year
    cant wait for the Pakora feast man !!!!
    Yeah, fair enough
    You're quite religious then, I admire how open minded you are, when I came out to some of my muslim friends, almost all of them insulted me and cut me off completely apart from 2.

ReputationRep:
    told you parents/family/community? didnt think so

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fair enough
    You're quite religious then, I admire how open minded you are, when I came out to some of my muslim friends, almost all of them insulted me and cut me off completely apart from 2.
    well they are idiots and they're not really your friends
    when one goes astray u still help them and and be nice to them otherwise they will probs never come back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    told you parents/family/community? didnt think so
    I've only come out to some of my friends

ReputationRep:
    well they are idiots and they're not really your friends
    when one goes astray u still help them and and be nice to them otherwise they will probs never come back
    If only everyone had your mindset

ReputationRep:
    If only everyone had your mindset
    *sigh if only
    but alas I'm unique

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be nice if muslims would just stay in muslim lands and leave everyone else alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bolly_mad)
    Wouldn't it be nice if muslims would just stay in muslim lands and leave everyone else alone?
    No definitely not, muslims form a very large portion of society, and some of the muslims I know are the best of people. I feel like this type of sentiment is very dangerous in our society, especially with the islamophobic climate that's around now.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm an 18 year old ex-muslim atheist studying a2's in London, AMA
    I am also an Ex-Muslim.

Have you told any friends or family members?

How did they react?

ReputationRep:
    No definitely not, muslims form a very large portion of society, and some of the muslims I know are the best of people. I feel like this type of sentiment is very dangerous in our society, especially with the islamophobic climate that's around now.
    maybe it's around for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't it be nice if muslims would just stay in muslim lands and leave everyone else alone?
    Maybe they would if their countries weren't invaded and destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash24411)
    Maybe they would if their countries weren't invaded and destroyed.
    muslims have also done their fair share of invasions and destruction. funny how they refuse to take any responsibility for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Oompa Loompa)
    I am also an Ex-Muslim.

Have you told any friends or family members?

How did they react?
    I haven't told anyone in my family, but most of my friends are aware. Most of my muslim 'friends' insulted me when I came out and cut me off completely, but I feel that it must've been a shock to them, seeing me go from very religious to suddenly not believing.

ReputationRep:
    muslims have also done their fair share of invasions and destruction. funny how they refuse to take any responsibility for that.
    At the end of the day, most muslims in our society aren't against anyone. They are just normal human beings, getting through their lives, why do they deserve to be treated differently from the rest of us?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't told anyone in my family, but most of my friends are aware. Most of my muslim 'friends' insulted me when I came out and cut me off completely, but I feel that it must've been a shock to them, seeing me go from very religious to suddenly not believing.
    I can comprehend, leaving Islam can be a very bleak journey, I know I would be soo much happy right now if I was still living in ignorance. :/

Do you think you'll be able to open up to your parents eventually?

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, most muslims in our society aren't against anyone. They are just normal human beings, getting through their lives, why do they deserve to be treated differently from the rest of us?
    where is your source on this? some of the most vile, repulsive discriminatory things i have ever heard have come from muslims. they're hypocrites. they can dish it out, but they can't take it. they throw around this 'islamophobia' label to deflect any legitimate criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Oompa Loompa)
    I can comprehend, leaving Islam can be a very bleak journey, I know I would be soo much happy right now if I was still living in ignorance. :/

Do you think you'll be able to open up to your parents eventually?
    Yes, when I'm financially independent and I move out, I'll tell them, and I know that the relationship with them will be harder but I feel like honesty is always best. Better they find out through me, than they find it out on a skype call by seeing a bottle of wine in the background

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.