The Student Room Group

AS Biology Questions

Please help me, my teacher wasn't here for my lesson and i'm so confused with my homework.

1) What is the space between the cellulose cell wall and the cell surface membrane when a cell has been plasmolysed?
2) Suggest how the factors which affect diffusion, affect the rate of osmosis?
Reply 1
Sugar solution, probably sucrose. I don't study AS biology but I have read some stuff on it.
Reply 2
Temperature, Concentration of solute, SA:V - Permeabilty to specific solutes - Size of molecules, Distance(eg one cell thick cell membranes), Concentration Gradient
Original post by larjew
The cell wall is permeable to most solutions, while the membrane is selectively permeable.The hypertonic solution freely enters the cell wall, but is actively transported out of the cell membrane or is not allowed to enter the membrane at all. However, at the same time, osmosis occurs, drawing water out of the cell membrane into the interstitial space between the membrane and wall.So, the space is filled with hypertonic solution (mostly water, but also containing a large amount of ions which are not allowed through the cell membrane), which will draw water out of the cell membrane until isotonicity is achieved, or, more likely, the cell membrane has all or almost all water drawn out of it and the cell effectively dies

Board ?

Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1p9br9/when_a_plant_cell_is_plasmolysed_what_fills_the/
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending