Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need to vent: popularity at school doesn't exist in the real world Watch

ReputationRep:
    q2awsujolp;[wzer

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by nerdy, usually at my school the popular people weren't nerdy but they were academically well achieving. Whereas some of the nerdy, awkward kids weren't very high achieving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Depends what you mean by nerdy, usually at my school the popular people weren't nerdy but they were academically well achieving. Whereas some of the nerdy, awkward kids weren't very high achieving.
    When I say nerdy, I'm just referring to anyone who isn't a part of the popular group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomStudent420)
    When I say nerdy, I'm just referring to anyone who isn't a part of the popular group.
    How can that make sense?

Did you go to an American high school?

ReputationRep:
    I have an unusual name, which some people may find funny.I'm not going to say my name on here because then you will know exactly who I am in real life.

Anyway, it's 11 o clock at night and I can't sleep because I am so angry at the world.

This time last year, some people at my old college who I did not know would shout my name whenever I was nearby because they thought I had a funny name and they got a kick out of this.

But what annoys me about this is the fact that they think it was okay to do so simply because they were the 'popular kids' at school.

I hate how the imagined hierarchical system where popular kids think they are better than the nerdy kids can make them think it is okay to treat anyone outside their popular group like a lesser human being.

It annoys me greatly because this imagined hierarchical system is subjective only to a schooling environment and has no application to the wider world what so ever.

In conclusion, I hate their arrogance.

Do you feel me student room?
    We feel you Hamilton Toadfondler

srsly just ignore these morons. in a few years they will be working in call centres or giving blow jobs to immigrants while you are sorted with a decent life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    We feel you Hamilton Toadfondler

srsly just ignore these morons. in a few years they will be working in call centres or giving blow jobs to immigrants while you are sorted with a decent life.*
    * If you work hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    Stop imagining an imagined hierarchical system.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them they should go and screw themselves. If you don't want them to pick on you, you have to put your foot down. This 'hierarchical system' only exists if you allow it to exist.. if you allow those 'popular' people to think they can walk all over everyone then that is exactly what they'll do.

ReputationRep:
    I have an unusual name, which some people may find funny.I'm not going to say my name on here because then you will know exactly who I am in real life.

Anyway, it's 11 o clock at night and I can't sleep because I am so angry at the world.

This time last year, some people at my old college who I did not know would shout my name whenever I was nearby because they thought I had a funny name and they got a kick out of this.

But what annoys me about this is the fact that they think it was okay to do so simply because they were the 'popular kids' at school.

I hate how the imagined hierarchical system where popular kids think they are better than the nerdy kids can make them think it is okay to treat anyone outside their popular group like a lesser human being.

It annoys me greatly because this imagined hierarchical system is subjective only to a schooling environment and has no application to the wider world what so ever.

In conclusion, I hate their arrogance.

Do you feel me student room?
    If you dont like your name i think you can change it when you're 18+ and its fairly cheap too

You are right that social popularity & exlusion doesnt exist so much in the real world (at least not in the workplace), because if you're an adult and you still cling to juvenile notions of popularity and exclusion, people will just think you're sad and pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.