Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!I received offers from Durham (Combined Honours in Social Sciences), Newcastle (Combined Honours) and Lancaster (Management, Politics and International Relations). I am thinking about firming Durham, but I am not sure. As for the insurance I really have no idea. Do you have any
    advices? As I am an European student, unfortunately, I am not able to come and visit the universities. i am mostly interested in prestige/graduate
    prospects (for Business and
    International relations)International outlookThe friendliness of the placeThe type of lifestyleI would be very happy with a great degree and a welcomimg
    community that you can easily bond
    with.If you can share your opinions and maybe some insights of these places I would be more than grateful. Sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I believe that the most important thing to consider is which course you best prefer, as it won't matter how good the uni's reputation is if you don't enjoy the course; you're likely to have 3 years that are just OK at a push if you don't enjoy what you're studying as well as maybe not being as motivated which may have a negative effect on your scores by the end.However, if you're happy with all courses you have applied to which hopefully you are I'll state which uni IMO is the best for the following:

Reputation: Durham, Newcastle and Lancaster are all great places with a high reputation, but if truth be told it is Durham which has the highest prestige both nationally and throughout Europe within this selection, often seen as the go-to if you miss out on Oxbridge

Community Feel: If it's a community feel that's important to you I may suggest either Newcastle or Lancaster. While Newcastle is a city university everything is pretty tightly packed, within a 20-25min waling distance. However, Lancaster is a campus university and it is very compact with lots of people saying the only people there will be the students, so it's likely to have the best sense of community around the entire university.

As for friendliness, I feel this is very subjective as there are always rumors that perhaps Durham may be elitist etc. and Geordie locals around Newcastle are very welcoming and friendly. However, i think it's really the luck of the draw as at every university will have some people you can't stand for whatever reason, be it they're too posh, too common etc. but there will be friendly people at every uni too and you bound to make friends wherever you go.

My main advice is just to go where you can see yourself living for 3 years, and where you think you will be most happy. Don't get bogged down by league tables and other people's expectations of you, it's your life so make it your decision. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westy669)
    Hi!

I believe that the most important thing to consider is which course you best prefer, as it won't matter how good the uni's reputation is if you don't enjoy the course; you're likely to have 3 years that are just OK at a push if you don't enjoy what you're studying as well as maybe not being as motivated which may have a negative effect on your scores by the end.However, if you're happy with all courses you have applied to which hopefully you are I'll state which uni IMO is the best for the following:

Reputation: Durham, Newcastle and Lancaster are all great places with a high reputation, but if truth be told it is Durham which has the highest prestige both nationally and throughout Europe within this selection, often seen as the go-to if you miss out on Oxbridge

Community Feel: If it's a community feel that's important to you I may suggest either Newcastle or Lancaster. While Newcastle is a city university everything is pretty tightly packed, within a 20-25min waling distance. However, Lancaster is a campus university and it is very compact with lots of people saying the only people there will be the students, so it's likely to have the best sense of community around the entire university.

As for friendliness, I feel this is very subjective as there are always rumors that perhaps Durham may be elitist etc. and Geordie locals around Newcastle are very welcoming and friendly. However, i think it's really the luck of the draw as at every university will have some people you can't stand for whatever reason, be it they're too posh, too common etc. but there will be friendly people at every uni too and you bound to make friends wherever you go.

My main advice is just to go where you can see yourself living for 3 years, and where you think you will be most happy. Don't get bogged down by league tables and other people's expectations of you, it's your life so make it your decision. Good luck!
    Thank you very much for your reply! I think that I will firm Durham eventually. I really can't decide between Newcastle and Lancaster for the insurance. I thought that Lancaster is a better uni, but many people seem to recommend
    Newcastle instead :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.