Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the laptop is that comes as part of the 4-year studentship from the MIBTP BBSRC as I am again to start my PhD at the University of Birmingham??

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Just wanted to say thanks for joining The Student Room: welcome on board!

How's it going so far? Found what you need? Below I've listed a few things you might fancy trying on TSR. If you've got any questions, add them to the TSR news, help and feedback forum.

Put your work head on:
    No matter what level or subject you're studying, you'll find someone on TSR who can help. Find your subject in the Study Help forum and ask a question or visit our brilliant revision section for help and advice. And if you're planning on going to university, you have to visit our uni applications forum. It's full of people who can help you through the whole process.

Take it easy:
    You know there's more to TSR than studying, right? In Hobbies and Interests you'll find people talking about everything from the latest football scores through to what mobile phone to buy next. Or how about the Debate and Current Affairs forum? Latest news, politics, education...it's all fair game in here.

That's just a taster, of course. To find even more conversation, head to the Forums page and find a place to start up your own discussion.

Enjoy the site!

Cheers,
    Ollie, from the TSR community team

ReputationRep:
    Christian.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a 1st year on this now and we all received MacBook Pros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SianMP)
    Hey, I'm a 1st year on this now and we all received MacBook Pros.
    That's brilliant, thank you so much.. Which of the 3 universities are you at?

ReputationRep:
    No worries! I'm at Warwick you'll spend a lot of time at Warwick in the first term if you do the same set-up as we have had! It's a little chaotic. Best advice I can give you is be careful with accommodation choices and either have a car or be near a train station! You'll be commuting a lot in the first term and for one other 3 month period (and possibly a second depending on your placement choice)!

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on getting a car in summer, I'm at the university of Leicester now doing my undergrad and my PhD is at university of Birmingham so I think I'll be moving between them two more, though I have been to Warwick university once before and it's a beautiful campus did you find the computer based programming stuff at the start alright? Did you get the 13 or the 15 inch MacBook Pro?

ReputationRep:
    You will see a lot of it in the first 3 months! I've spent some time at Leicester for masterclasses in the autumn term - it was nice to have a small campus! I'm doing my 'away university' mini-project at Leicester from July. It's the 13" MacBook Pro . And the programming is hard work but it has been worth it (or has been for me). I would recommend having a look at the Code School R stuff as it was very much a case of hitting the ground running. You will be working in R and Matlab.

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice thinks for the heads up, I've used R in my undergrad degree but never matlab!! Haha yeah, the campus is pretty small but it's a great uni. I'm just waiting for my official offer as I've only been given an invitational email from the funding body so far which I've accepted... Been waiting a month though Was you and your friends required to get a 2:1 or a 1st?? Thanks for all your help!!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine then and the Matlab tutorials are very good. And I think it was 2.1's from what I've heard. There is a huge mix of backgrounds though and I think they are more interested in 'can they think for themselves' rather than 'can they pass as exam'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.