Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which country is the most protected from natural disasters? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It would need to be a country far from a fault line, not near an ocean (so not susceptible to tsunami/flooding), not prone to draught, less susceptible to hurricanes, no big volcanos, not susceptible to harsh winters, etc.

I think Britain loses on the tsunami/flooding front.

Views?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Singapore surely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Singapore surely
    Why do you think that?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Why do you think that?
    No typhoons, earthquakes, droughts.. also quite protected from tsunamis by Malaysia, which hardly ever occurs.. No winters too so that rules out another one.. I guess the only issue is the smog caused by Indonesia burning every ****ing thing they can get their hands on but that story if for another day

Also I just googled it, it ranks 15th on the disaster risk scale... I was gonna say Iceland but a volcano erupted a few years ago so I guess anywhere is unsafe....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by UWS)
    No typhoons, earthquakes, droughts.. also quite protected from tsunamis by Malaysia, which hardly ever occurs.. No winters too so that rules out another one.. I guess the only issue is the smog caused by Indonesia burning every ****ing thing they can get their hands on but that story if for another day

Also I just googled it, it ranks 15th on the disaster risk scale... I was gonna say Iceland but a volcano erupted a few years ago so I guess anywhere is unsafe....
    Iceland is a volcanic Island but pretty much nobody in modern times is physically harmed by the many eruptions there.

Personally I'd say Switzerland or Austria or countries round there. Only natural disaster I can think of in Switzerland is avalanche but that can be avoided.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mongolia
    besides it is a beautiful peaceful country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

Only thing I would say is that it's quite near a fault line and very close to the Lake Toba supervolcano!

Do you have a link to the disaster risk scale please? Can't seem to find the table on Google.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Only thing I would say is that it's quite near a fault line and very close to the Lake Toba supervolcano!

Do you have a link to the disaster risk scale please? Can't seem to find the table on Google.
    It's wikipedia but it's all I could find

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._disaster_risk

ReputationRep:
    My boys Seychelles, coming up big, 17th on this disaster risk scale. Pretty good considering how fragile one would assume it would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

I'm sure this study is more knowledgeable than me, but weird that they put Qatar at number one when it sits almost right on a fault line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

That list is ridiculous. The USA has a natural disaster almost every year. It is having one at the moment, with drought in California. Last year it had massive snowstorms that paralysed the country, and a year or two before that the entire Mississippi basin was flooded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That list is ridiculous. The USA has a natural disaster almost every year. It is having one at the moment, with drought in California. Last year it had massive snowstorms that paralysed the country, and a year or two before that the entire Mississippi basin was flooded.
    It is pretty low down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    It is pretty low down.
    It has been given a 4% chance of disaster, marginally higher than that of the far safer UK..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm sure this study is more knowledgeable than me, but weird that they put Qatar at number one when it sits almost right on a fault line.
    Proximity to a fault line is definitely not the only factor that influences vulnerability to earthquakes. The behaviour of the fault is a lot more important.

This is a list ordering countries by vulnerability to natural disasters so the straightforward frequency and severity of natural disasters is not the only thing that is taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    How is Britain at risk of tsunami?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    How is Britain at risk of tsunami?
    Part of one of the Canary Islands is expected to fall into the sea one day and cause a tsunami.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Part of one of the Canary Islands is expected to fall into the sea one day and cause a tsunami.
    That is a vastly overhyped story, see here. It is almost certainly not an imminent threat that we need to be worrying about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    That is a vastly overhyped story, see here. It is almost certainly not an imminent threat that we need to be worrying about.
    i certainly am not going to lose sleep over it, but I expect it will happen some time before the human race dies out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    It is pretty low down.
    I bet the Americans are pleased their country isn't higher up then!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    i certainly am not going to lose sleep over it, but I expect it will happen some time before the human race dies out.
    The geological evidence suggests that these collapses occur in many little stages over longer periods of time, it is unlikely that it would result in some biblical catastrophic collapse. There are plenty of other catastrophic risks we can worry about instead

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.