There are plenty of other catastrophic risks we can worry about instead
    Oh, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    How is Britain at risk of tsunami?
    Asteroid into the North Sea/Atlantic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    The geological evidence suggests that these collapses occur in many little stages over longer periods of time, it is unlikely that it would result in some biblical catastrophic collapse. There are plenty of other catastrophic risks we can worry about instead
    What like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Asteroid into the North Sea/Atlantic?
    I was thinking a catastrophic Icelandic eruption or something Yellowstoney or other 'super eruptions'

ReputationRep:
    What like?
    Have a look at this.

ReputationRep:
    I think you sent me the wrong link?

ReputationRep:
    I think you sent me the wrong link?
    Multistage collapse of eight western Canary Island landslides in the last 1.5Ma?

ReputationRep:
    Multistage collapse of eight western Canary Island landslides in the last 1.5Ma?
    "since multistage failures will likely reduce the size of individual tsunami waves. Furthermore, the basal subunits typically contain altered volcanic glasses and high carbonate content indicative of materials failed from the submarine flanks of the islands. The incorporation of submarine flank sectors into the landslides is also important, since this also acts to further reduce tsunamigenesis. However, although reduced in volume due to multistage failure mechanism, the volume of these separate failures are still substantial (10–100 km3) and capable of causing significant tsunamis near to source"

ReputationRep:
    "since multistage failures will likely reduce the size of individual tsunami waves. Furthermore, the basal subunits typically contain altered volcanic glasses and high carbonate content indicative of materials failed from the submarine flanks of the islands. The incorporation of submarine flank sectors into the landslides is also important, since this also acts to further reduce tsunamigenesis. However, although reduced in volume due to multistage failure mechanism, the volume of these separate failures are still substantial (10–100 km3) and capable of causing significant tsunamis near to source"
    I don't think 4000km away counts as "near to source". Particularly since Britain is partially sheltered by the Iberian Peninsula. This paper downgrades the estimated amount of debris by 300% from previous papers that suggested a serious risk to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think 4000km away counts as "near to source". Particularly since Britain is partially sheltered by the Iberian Peninsula.
    Exactly? So why would we need to worry?

Sorry, I wasn't asking for evidence I agreed with you. I was asking what other things we should worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly? So why would we need to worry?
    We don't need to worry, that's my point...

ReputationRep:
    We don't need to worry, that's my point...
    See edit

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong and Macau if you count autonomous territories. Also the Vatican City and maybe South Korea.

I agree with Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    See edit
    Oh right, sorry! Well, a great compilation of essays called Global Catastrophic Risk (Bostrom & Circovic) gives a pretty comprehensive summary of the various potential catastrophic risks facing humanity. The general consensus seems to be that anthropogenic risks are likely to have (by far) the greatest catastrophic potential (particularly pandemics and war, although it also has some very interesting treatments on artificial intelligence [although I went to a lecture recently that basically disputed everything the book wrote about that], nanotechnology and biosecurity). It's a really fun book to read, would definitely recommend it (taking things with a pinch of salt because some of the stuff in it isn't necessarily the mainstream view).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    It would need to be a country far from a fault line, not near an ocean (so not susceptible to tsunami/flooding), not prone to draught, less susceptible to hurricanes, no big volcanos, not susceptible to harsh winters, etc.

I think Britain loses on the tsunami/flooding front.

Views?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.