Breakingbank
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by throwawaycon)
They are prestigious accountancy firms.

If you want to consider 'corporate prestige,' then banking, law and management consulting are all more 'prestigious' and competitive than accountancy.

However it's all *******s, because in a survey of the general public firefighter came top (understandably), and either way you can't eat prestige. The vast majority of people don't care, and you're better off doing something you'll enjoy (based on whatever metrics you care about).
I know mate, I was suggesting that the guy who said they weren't as an idiot who clearly hasn't got a clue
throwawaycon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Breakingbank)
I know mate, I was suggesting that the guy who said they weren't as an idiot who clearly hasn't got a clue
And my comment explains why someone might think they are not prestigious. Because outside of accounting they aren't necessarily considered to be.
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a heads up, pretty sure Lloyds Banking Group accept applications from people with a 2.2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mememere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Was this comment of any help other than to tell them what they already know? We’re all very grateful to know that you, oh high and mighty lord of the internet world who never does anything wrong, has no sympathy for them. But if you weren’t so far up your ass you would be able to tell that this person is aware of the mistakes that they have made, regrets it and more importantly wants to salvage the situation. Have you never done anything that you deeply regretted afterwards and wanted to see how you could still have a decent outcome. Get off of your high horse. Or are you just some bitter person who thinks they deserve everything because they did everything by the book? Yet it seems that people who didn’t put in half as much effort or did it wrong sometimes get the same opportunities or even better than you.
green2312
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by throwawayB4)
TLDR: Really successful B4 internship, offered a grad job with a 2.1, might get a 2.2 - help!?

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

Some background info without being too specific,

Study a Science (Hons) at a top 10 uni, interned with KPMG this last summer which culminated in a graduate offer of employment, under the conditions of a 2.1. Internship went really well, received glowing reports from project managers, interviewed and had lunch with director and partner of my team, both seemed impressed, got on really well and they ultimately have the final say on my offer.

Thing is, in my second year I achieved a 45 average (yes, I know, horrendous, but basically didn't try at all, attended 0 lectures yada yada yada which I whole heartedly regret. I am more than capable academically to achieve a 2.1/ 1st (360 UCAS points, 12 GCSEs A*/A). My final year counts for 2/3rds my overall mark, and currently averaging 64 (would be 73 but I achieved poorly in one module in particular) and now need an average of 70 in my final exams to secure a 2.1 (with some rounding), something I can do but know will be an uphill struggle.

Basically, I will either scrape a 2.1, or narrowly miss out (and this is taking into account the discretionary rounding my uni does of 1.5%, i.e can be awarded a 2.1 with 58.5%)

I feel these are my options/ outcomes;
- Get a 2.1 - No problems
- Get a 2.2 - Still accepted - No problems
- Get a 2.2 - Get rejected - Big problem
- Get a 2.2 - Beg for my life - Say I was immature etc in second year - got my act together in third year after receiving the offer, say i averaged 65 but still wasn't enough - and either get accepted/ get rejected.
- Get a 2.2 - Ask if it would be ok to defer employment for a year, do a masters (confident in that I will achieve a 2.1) and start in 2017

Would love some advice on which of these is likely/ my best course of action? Would having a really successful internship have any sway over the usual 2.1 cut off? In that I will have some sort of proof i am capable of the job.

I'll be grateful to hear the words of anyone in a/ has been in a/ knows someone in a similar situation, or anyone with some recruiting/ managerial experience for larger companies

Thanks for your time
How did this work out in the end? I am stuck in the same situation at the moment!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (596)
49.13%
No (617)
50.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed