Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm about to hit 9th lesson with my driving instructor. He is okay to be honest (teaches me well) However, one simple thing is always in my mind... He taught me not to use gas when moving off.... I did the bay parking without any gas etc... I am just getting worried about my skills as my dad has citroen ds5 and you need to use gas in order to move away (also the clutch seems to be bouncy??? So would I say it’s hard to find the biting point)... I am scared of doing all of the maneuvers after the exam cause I’m not sure if I can only use the clutch in a petrol car (if not can you use the clutch only to prefor maneuvers) Thanks should I change him or what?

ReputationRep:
    You instructor sounds fine to me. He is simply teaching you to drive the car you are in - which I am guessing is a diesel. There is no particular reason why you shouldn't practice setting a little gas for the maneuvers. Just remember to keep your right foot absolutely still. Control the speed of the car with the clutch.

Not sure what you mean by a bouncy clutch but my advice is keep your left heel firmly on the floor when the clutch is around the biting point and avoid moving it any more than is necessary.

there is a little exercise that you can do to practice clutch control on a hill. Park facing up hill in a quiet road with lots of room in front. Move off with a normal hill start ie the car moves forward when you release the hand brake. Instead of driving away as normal keep your right foot still and ease down on the clutch. The aim is to bring the car to a controlled stop without using the brake and without rolling back. It takes very subtle use of the clutch. The trick is to allow the car to run out of momentum where you want it to stop. It will do your head in to start with and you will be concentrating on your feet so much your instructor should be keeping a good look out for you.

When you move the clutch pedal just remember that it is up on the clutch (very gently) to go up the hill and down on the clutch to go down the hill. If you push down too far down on the clutch it will roll down the hill but not far enough down on the clutch and it won't stop going up the hill.

When you get the hang of that and have the car stationary on the hill without the brake on, try deliberately allowing the car to roll back controlling the speed with the clutch and then bring it to a stop again only using the clutch. You will need to be very subtle with the clutch to stop it bouncing forward again after it has stopped. Allowing the car to roll backwards downhill in 1st like this is a total misuse of the clutch and not recommended as anything more than a skill exercise.

The clutch should not be slipped like this for more that a minute or two at a time to avoid over heating it. Allow it time to cool between attempts.

When you have mastered this exercise you will have total mastery of the clutch and it won't matter what you drive in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myDrivingInstr)
    You instructor sounds fine to me. He is simply teaching you to drive the car you are in - which I am guessing is a diesel. There is no particular reason why you shouldn't practice setting a little gas for the maneuvers. Just remember to keep your right foot absolutely still. Control the speed of the car with the clutch.

Not sure what you mean by a bouncy clutch but my advice is keep your left heel firmly on the floor when the clutch is around the biting point and avoid moving it any more than is necessary.

there is a little exercise that you can do to practice clutch control on a hill. Park facing up hill in a quiet road with lots of room in front. Move off with a normal hill start ie the car moves forward when you release the hand brake. Instead of driving away as normal keep your right foot still and ease down on the clutch. The aim is to bring the car to a controlled stop without using the brake and without rolling back. It takes very subtle use of the clutch. The trick is to allow the car to run out of momentum where you want it to stop. It will do your head in to start with and you will be concentrating on your feet so much your instructor should be keeping a good look out for you.

When you move the clutch pedal just remember that it is up on the clutch (very gently) to go up the hill and down on the clutch to go down the hill. If you push down too far down on the clutch it will roll down the hill but not far enough down on the clutch and it won't stop going up the hill.

When you get the hang of that and have the car stationary on the hill without the brake on, try deliberately allowing the car to roll back controlling the speed with the clutch and then bring it to a stop again only using the clutch. You will need to be very subtle with the clutch to stop it bouncing forward again after it has stopped. Allowing the car to roll backwards downhill in 1st like this is a total misuse of the clutch and not recommended as anything more than a skill exercise.

The clutch should not be slipped like this for more that a minute or two at a time to avoid over heating it. Allow it time to cool between attempts.

When you have mastered this exercise you will have total mastery of the clutch and it won't matter what you drive in the future.
    Thanks

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.