The Student Room Group

Private psychiatric assessment in Northern Ireland/ Oxfordshire

Hey,

Could anybody recommend a private psychiatrist working in either Northern Ireland/ Oxfordshire who offers diagnostic assessments? Also, how much would an initial appointment cost (and would I be able to get away with only one appointment, seeing as I'd have to pay privately)?

Thanks
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to go down the NHS route?
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to go down the NHS route?

I've heard it can take up to a year to see anybody :s-smilie: and I'd worry that my GP wouldn't take me seriously
Original post by Anonymous
I've heard it can take up to a year to see anybody :s-smilie: and I'd worry that my GP wouldn't take me seriously

GP will deffo take you seriously.

And it need not be that long. I saw one in 2 weeks (although case was classified as severe) and my auntie who has low level mental health problems is on a 4 week waiting list.

I would give NHS a try first. Not only free but really great service.
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
GP will deffo take you seriously.

And it need not be that long. I saw one in 2 weeks (although case was classified as severe) and my auntie who has low level mental health problems is on a 4 week waiting list.

I would give NHS a try first. Not only free but really great service.

I would do, but it's knowing that I could see somebody privately within a week, as opposed to on the NHS maybe not until October or later, that's making me think I should just go private.
You could possibly get away with a single appointment if all you wanted was a diagnosis before going back to the NHS with said diagnosis from a private psychiatrist, but it would cost in the region of £200 upwards at the very least.

Are you a student at the University of Oxford or Oxford Brookes Uni? I can't speak for the latter but with the former, if you go to your college GP in Oxford, they can refer you to the Warneford and if it's deemed to be taking too long, GP and/or College can fasttrack your referral to the Warneford. Take it from someone who knows! :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You could possibly get away with a single appointment if all you wanted was a diagnosis before going back to the NHS with said diagnosis from a private psychiatrist, but it would cost in the region of £200 upwards at the very least.

Are you a student at the University of Oxford or Oxford Brookes Uni? I can't speak for the latter but with the former, if you go to your college GP in Oxford, they can refer you to the Warneford and if it's deemed to be taking too long, GP and/or College can fasttrack your referral to the Warneford. Take it from someone who knows! :wink:

Thanks! I didn't know that college was able to do that- would you need to speak to the nurse/ welfare?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks! I didn't know that college was able to do that- would you need to speak to the nurse/ welfare?

The person to usually fasttrack you would either be the College nurse or the Senior Tutor. You should of course speak to welfare tutors in your College, but afaik it's only the Senior Tutor who can fasttrack appointments with GP and psychiatric services (via the GP) :yes:
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The person to usually fasttrack you would either be the College nurse or the Senior Tutor. You should of course speak to welfare tutors in your College, but afaik it's only the Senior Tutor who can fasttrack appointments with GP and psychiatric services (via the GP) :yes:

Great, thanks very much!

Quick Reply

Latest